VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 80 of 146, by Huggybaby

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've attached a zipped torrent file in case of future difficulties.

Attachments

Reply 82 of 146, by Huggybaby

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, they're getting there.

Thanks a million to njaydg for the pics, he had archived an old copy. 😀 I'll get them straightened out soon.
I'll also fix that torrent link which has gone broken.
The link in the first post still works I think.

Reply 86 of 146, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Yes.... If you can find a Windows/Linux/OSX driver for it.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 87 of 146, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

hm, I have the drivers installed on Win9x and the dosbox.conf is gus=true and the drivers are correct (260/7/7/7),
but if I use it with the game (Epic Pinball) there is no sound out of the GUS, the sound comes out of the SB16.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 88 of 146, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Official DOSBox does not support passthrough to real soundcards (AdLib, CMS, SB, GUS). Some unofficial builds have a patch for OPL/CMS passthrough, but I've never heard of one for GUS.

Reply 89 of 146, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My retro-PC has not enough power to emulate gfx AND sound. If I could use a passthrough to the gus (Games, Demoscene-Stuff)
the performance should be enough to play/run most of the stuff.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 90 of 146, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote:

My retro-PC has not enough power to emulate gfx AND sound.

Depends on which games you want. Games wich supported GUS were common in 1993 and later, - times of 386DX 33 MHz and higher for good gameplay. Your P2 gives level of ~1.5 times less even without sound emulation. So passthrough mode would be doubtful to allow you good speed in those games.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 92 of 146, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Alas, the link at the first post for the pre-installed folder is dead.
Here you go: Gravis_ULTRASND_Files.7z

This should be uploaded to the Vogons Drivers database.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 93 of 146, by Taiyoumaru

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for the download James-F! Now I can finally see how a Gravis sounded like. I have a question tho. When I saw that the link on the first page was dead I looked around in the thread and found someone posted a link to a torrent file. I was keeping that torrent in a download state but it never got a seed. There is a difference in file size between your link and the torrent, which is almost double at 20 MB. The description says "This file contains Ultrasnd 411 and ProPatchesLite 161, for your DOSBox gaming pleasure". Now my question is, is your 7z smaller because of the 7z format being awesome? The file in the torrent is also archived in zip format.

Reply 94 of 146, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

7z being awesome!
ZIP is a dinosaur.
Vogons are selfish (have a look in the Encyclopedia Galactica), the torrent died the second everyone was satisfied. 😀
DON'T PANIC, the provided link will live long.

Reply 95 of 146, by Taiyoumaru

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I just tried this with Heroes of Might and Magic 1 which features Gravis support in its setup.exe and for the life of me I cannot notice any difference. All I did was point D-Fend to the Gravis folder and configured DOSBox and the setup.exe to use it, which is what the main post led me to believe. Am I doing it wrong?

Reply 96 of 146, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Set sound blaster to NONE in dosbox config, and try again.
The only difference is the music in games that support GUS, sounds should be exactly the same.

Personally I don't find the GUS sounding that good, I much prefer the SC-55.

Reply 97 of 146, by Taiyoumaru

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have found one difference in Heroes of Might and Magic 1. While using Gravis, there is a more noticeable shhhh sound in the background while playing music, tested on the main menu screen. Are there ways to get Sound Canvas 55 support in DOSBox?