VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 146, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

The emulated GUS is not complete and thus MEGAEM won't work even with VCPI. But DOSBox does not emulate Roland Sound Canvas or MT-32.

You're right, I mis-read the DOSBOX wiki section regarding soundcard emulation. My apologies.

Darklord42 wrote:

Another thing, I can't seem to get this to work with Wing Commander 3 as a music card, any idea why? Simply says "Cannot start up your music card" All other GUS supported games that I have, work fine. Sad

This is why my GUS MAX had a brief existence in my PC. I had lots of issues getting this card to work with most games via the MEGAEM soundblaster emulation and the few that had built-in support for it. Apparently only hackers new the ins and outs of the GUS because only demos that were written with GUS support worked without issues.

Reply 41 of 146, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am having some issues with an instrument from Pro Patches Light 1.61, in some songs where I have the snare drums and other various instruments, at times that snare drum keeps on repeating itself for the next seconds where it should have been muted or played at a different rythm. Is this a known issue? I have tried running that game without anything in the background (closed all the aplications besides DosBox). I had this issue more pronounced in 0.72, and I still have it in 1.73, only that it doesn't occur that often (still too often for me). I've attached 3 examples to explain exactly what happens

Does anybody know what I can do to fix this problem?

Attachments

• Filename
    example1.ogg
    File size
    303.12 KiB
    Downloads
    621 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    example2.ogg
    File size
    307.64 KiB
    Downloads
    590 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    example3.ogg
    File size
    202.48 KiB
    Downloads
    644 downloads
    File license

Reply 44 of 146, by Dimitry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! Excuse me, guys, or I stupid, or I not understand english. Please tell me, what I do not correct,
I've dosbox 0.73, first step install 4.10 - all Ok, second step install 4.11 - all Ok, 3 step - I copy "MEGAEM310", and start "MESETUP.EXE" Ok, but when I begun four step, like start file "PATMENU" in PPL150, program write something, like "You must have environment variable PROPATS..." What I can, I dont, I alredy confuse. What I can do?
Excuse Dimitry for him English!

Reply 48 of 146, by Ganondorf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

please note that gus emulation works without these patches as well.
These just add extra stuff to games that support it. It's not required

I know this is quite a bump but do you mean I don't need any extra files for GUS emulation?

Reply 50 of 146, by Ganondorf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What does that mean in reality? I tested it with Dark Forces, Duken Nukem 3D, Rise of the Triad, Asterix & Obelix and a few others. They ALL need real patches like provided in the "ready-to-go" archive from Huggybaby. So Qbix's statement doesn't seem to be valid since it is not optional but required.

Reply 53 of 146, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

If you don't hear sound effects with gus enabled and no gus patches in e.g. duke3d, you certainly should run the sound configuration.
But i'm sure you can figure that out on your own.

Reply 54 of 146, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think it's actually the exception, rather than the rule, that games supplied their own patches for the Ultrasound. You certainly won't get any music out of, say, any of the Doom series (or Doom-tech games like Heretic/Hexen) without an Ultrasnd directory and patches.

Back when I first got my Ultrasound I never bothered with megaem as I had a Soundblaster as well... as I suspect quite a few people did. I always thought that, and SBOS, was just a kludge.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 55 of 146, by Ganondorf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
megatron-uk wrote:

I think it's actually the exception, rather than the rule, that games supplied their own patches for the Ultrasound. You certainly won't get any music out of, say, any of the Doom series (or Doom-tech games like Heretic/Hexen) without an Ultrasnd directory and patches.

Besides the flaming, this was actually the point wd was missing. Qbix' statement can't be misinterpreted, it means you don't need anything for GUS emulation except DOSBox itself. And not just a couple of games but ALL games run without extra patches. Which is, as you approved as well, not true.

Anyway, all that Ultrasound business got me thinking ...

Wouldn't it be easier to select "General MIDI" in every game and then simply install a "Virtual Sound Canvas" on your system? I used to do that with ScummVM. You know drivers like "EDIROL VSC-MP1" or "Yamaha S-YXG50".

Though I'm not quite sure these still run on Windows 7 but why not give it a shot or look for alternatives.

wd wrote:

If you don't hear sound effects with gus enabled and no gus patches in e.g. duke3d, you certainly should run the sound configuration.

The "SETUP.EXE", yes, I know how to fucking use it but thank you for your kind input so far ...

Reply 56 of 146, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Qbix' statement can't be misinterpreted, it means you don't need anything for GUS emulation except DOSBox itself.

You're interpreting it wrong, whyever you're trying to interpret anything into
Qbix's statement at all. He said the gus emulation (sfx) works without patches,
and the patches add additional features to games that support it (game music
mostly, where applicable).

What's the point of the discussion may I ask? If you're trying to point out
something of relevance please make that clear.

Reply 57 of 146, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ganondorf wrote:
Besides the flaming, this was actually the point wd was missing. Qbix' statement can't be misinterpreted, it means you don't nee […]
Show full quote
megatron-uk wrote:

Besides the flaming, this was actually the point wd was missing. Qbix' statement can't be misinterpreted, it means you don't need anything for GUS emulation except DOSBox itself. And not just a couple of games but ALL games run without extra patches. Which is, as you approved as well, not true.

Anyway, all that Ultrasound business got me thinking ...

Wouldn't it be easier to select "General MIDI" in every game and then simply install a "Virtual Sound Canvas" on your system? I used to do that with ScummVM. You know drivers like "EDIROL VSC-MP1" or "Yamaha S-YXG50"

There are some unique features of the GUS (eg it supported many more channels than most digital+fm soundcards of the time, of which several games took advantage) that mean its emulation is a good thing (eg period tracker players, demos, games which offloaded mixing of samples to the card etc). Plus, not everything supports general midi anyway.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 59 of 146, by danielc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another alternative to all this is to (1) Download a modern, free SoundFont (such as the brilliant A340.SF2), then (2) Convert the SoundFont to GUS patches with the unsf tool. See http://alsa.opensrc.org/GusSoundfont#Extracti … from_Soundfonts

Regards,
CosmicDan