VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 60 of 146, by sev7en

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
thanks for this guide but I don't understand the step where you speak about to "check the GS DOSBox support": how do I do to enable it?

If I follow the guide the install can't recognize a GS adapter!

Thanks

Reply 61 of 146, by porjay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

Using dosbox 0.74 (latest d-fend reloaded) I downloaded "FULLY UPDATED ULTRASND FOLDER" from the OP which I have placed on my C:\

I am using the updated Pro Patches Lite 1.61 & have renamed the folder to ULTRASND.

I have enabled GUS in the options but when I go to launch ultramid.exe I receive the error:
"configuration file not in $(ULTRADIR)/midi directory"

Reply 62 of 146, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It could be a mounting mistake. Most frontends mount game folders as C:\ , and then you should place the ULTRAMID folder inside the game folder.

Also make sure to extract the AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS from the package (folder DOS, I think) into whatever folder you mount as C:\

Reply 63 of 146, by porjay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yep as Neville states. I have put my ultrasnd folder in the same directory as my dos games. Keep the directory C:\ULTRASND as the default just ensure you launch the ultramid.exe from where you real ultrasnd is sitting.

Thanks for the pro tip Neville

Reply 64 of 146, by Dr. Rabbit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I seem to have some sort of issue as I'm unable to get the installer to actually install anything. I've done everything as instructed on the first page; I've created the folder to C:/DOS, which I assume means an actual DOS named folder on my actual C:/ drive, with all the files from the archive extracted there, mounted it as C:/ inside DOSBox (mount C C:/DOS), ran INSTALL.EXE from the GUS410 folder, then chose the "Restore File(s)" option with the "*.*" parameter to restore everything, done that and then when I tried to run the "Install UltraSound Software" from the installer it just says "Unable to Determine Card Type, Install cannot determine the UltraSound card type installed" no matter what I try. In the same error message it suggests trying to run CONSCAN.EXE to check for conflicts with IO ports, and that program says that ports 220, 230 and 240 are not safe for a synth base (DOSBox GUS is mapped to port 240 and SB to port 220, but I've disabled SB and I don't know what uses port 230, so...) and the rest of the ports are fine for base GUS or MAX. I don't understand really any of this, so what gives?

EDIT: I just tried to create a DOS folder inside my main mounted C:/ drive and run it from there, didn't help.

Not a real doctor.

Reply 65 of 146, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

did you enable GUS in the dosbox config?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 66 of 146, by Dr. Rabbit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Of course, enabled and pointed to a valid ULTRASND folder with all the files from HuggyBaby's Ready-to-Use configuration. As said I've also disabled all other sound cards, namely Sound Blaster and mpu-401, which is why the port conflicts are strange to me.

Not a real doctor.

Reply 67 of 146, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, this is the known problem with DOSBox - GUS software 4.x is conflicting with the GUS i/o in the dosbox.conf.
The solution is - install GUS software 3.59, then upgrade it to 4.11, install ultrinit 2.31.
Still, the Ultramix isn't working.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 68 of 146, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've tried to make this work with GSPlay (a DOS-based midi player that supports various GS and GM devices and modules, including the Ultrasound)
I've set it correctly to the GUS mode, and also I made sure that I initialised with ultramid, but it seems to not make any sound, just plays the files and outputs the notes on the screen. Any fix for this?
I use the pre-made pack that was provided here. Also the base, IRQ and DMA are set to DosBox's default (240, 5, 3)
and the "ultradir" parameter in the .conf file is pointing correctly to the ULTRASND folder.
I also tried ultrainit just in case but that one reports not being able to locate an Gravis UltraSound at the ports specified in the enviroment and directs me to run setup, which also says that the 240 base is unavailable for the GUS, and no matter what I change in the DosBox settings, the port that's taken is always reported as unavailable.

Reply 69 of 146, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

If you're changing the MIDI_INTERFACE in GSPLAY.CFG to "GUS", you're telling GSPLAY to use the MIDI OUT on the GUS's gameport, and that's obviously not going to work in DOSBox. Because you're loading UltraMID, I'm guessing you want GSPLAY to use the GUS digital music synthesis, and for that you'll need the MegaEm "driver".

I haven't tried to use MegaEm in DOSBox, so not sure if (or how well) it will work. IIRC, you'll have to load the EMM386 memory manager from MSDOS, because MegaEm uses EMM386's port-trapping API and DOSBox doesn't implement that in its internal EMM support.

Reply 70 of 146, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wasn't aware of that, I thought the GUS option under MIDI_INTERFACE was supposed to play through GUS' own synth.

Isn't there any other way around the EMM386 solution?
To put it simply, I just wanted to play midi files like playmidi.exe in the GUS folder in gsplay or any other midi player. I have a feeling the former sends midi events incorrectly, as drums sound horrendously wrong, at least when emulated, never heard how the real hardware performs.

Reply 71 of 146, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I'm not aware of any other solution for what you're trying to do. You need MegaEm, and MegaEm needs EMM386. It is possible to load EMM386 within DOSBox's internal DOS by using a command-line device driver loading utility, but booting real DOS gives the best compatibility.

If you do try to get MegaEm working in DOSBox to use with GSPLAY and other MIDI players, please report how it turns out.

Reply 72 of 146, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Any tips on what utility to use to load EMM386, also can I use JEMM instead? Or do I have to rip a EMM386 copy from a specific dos version?

Reply 73 of 146, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Dunno if JEMM will work, but I guess it can't hurt to try. 😀 For EMM386 you should try the one from DOS 5.0 and/or 6.22.

I have a program named DEVICE.COM that loads device drivers from the command line. It works with EMM386 in DOSBox, but I've forgotten where I found it.

Reply 76 of 146, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Huggybaby wrote:

It's been a long time but I'm pretty sure MegaEm worked for me in DosBox.

That's great, but could you tell me the steps you took to make it work? =)
Oh, and by the way, thanks for the guide! =D
Is there any way to bring back the screenshots though?

Reply 77 of 146, by Huggybaby

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I'm not positive I got it working, it's been a long time, so I can't tell you anything about it.

The screenshots are lost, I should have saved them but didn't realize how ridiculously short lived picture hosters are. Or file hosters of any type for that matter.

I'm so rusty with DOSBox now that I'm not sure I could even recreate those pics. I'm just glad the files still live, they were almost dead to the internet before I managed to resurrect them.

Reply 78 of 146, by ThesaurusRex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I don't understand this. How do you 'point' DOSbox to the fully updated ULTRASND folders? I'm completely inexperienced with this sort of thing and have no idea what that means. I wish the OP could have given a simple instruction on how to do that for a newbie like me 😢

Reply 79 of 146, by Teppic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ThesaurusRex wrote:

Okay, I don't understand this. How do you 'point' DOSbox to the fully updated ULTRASND folders? I'm completely inexperienced with this sort of thing and have no idea what that means. I wish the OP could have given a simple instruction on how to do that for a newbie like me 😢

In the rar file you download there's a folder called "Gravis ULTRASND Files". In that folder there's two folders, one called "ULTRASND411" and the other "ULTRASNDPPL161". 411 is without the pro patches and PPL161 with them.

For easier use with DOSBox I would advice you to rename the folders to only have 8 characters. I named my "ULTRASND411" to just ULTRASND and the "ULTRASNDPPL161" folder to ULTRAPRO.

Put the two folders in the same place as the rest of your dos games. For example c:\dosgames

Go to your DOSBox configuration file and look for the section that says [gus]. Under it you'll find a line that says ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

If you want to use the standard GUS the folder should be named ULTRASND as above, or change it to ULTRAPRO if you want to use the pro patches. You can't have both at the same time, so you'll have to change it in the config if you want to switch beteen them. Pro patches breaks compatibility for some games, so it's good to have both.

If done correctly you should find the folder in DOSBox by typing c: and then cd c:\ultrasnd

My AdLib recordings