VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by diqits

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys

I'm wondered why no one have post this idea before but i think its a great one. I'm talking about a List of DOS Games, with some cute Ingame Picture s and a quick start, so you don't need to type some individual parameter in the Dosbox

Click & Play

Cause im pretty tired to type in this dos parameters and it would be nice if someone could make a Tool like MAME32 for Old Dos Games.

DOSBOX is a great Tool and i like old Dos Games more than some arcade Shooter from Japan. But i get tired if i want play i will playing the Game
RIGHT NOW.

Is this possible?

The best BeatmUp is One must Fall

Reply 3 of 21, by diqits

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

rcblanke can you make a quickstart in the Explorer Line which
Link to an exe or a shortcut, in your next release of DBGL.
And when the User done this, that dosbox automatic starts the game.

That would be great.

So you dont need a Folder and can start
with your game right now.

Good work with this Tool i love it

Reply 4 of 21, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

as for the Click & Play part

1. No, there will be no launcher called "Click & Play" due to trademark reasons

2. DBGL and D.O.G. are great, but you double-click and play on those. They also rely on absolute paths, like any launcher. If you plan on moving your DOS stuff from one drive or computer to another, you'd probably want to use a DOS-based frontend in DOSBox (like Quikmenu III and MagicDesk can use mouse and clicking).

3. Klik & Play games work fine under Windows 3.x in DOSbox, better than XP. 😜

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 21, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DOG even earlier with its <DOGHOME> and <DOGDRIVE> paths.

These are specially made to place game installations on USB flash drives.

Erik

Read the new FAQ.doc

Reply 7 of 21, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Will those "moving-around" solutions also allow me to (manually) create a short-cut to launch DOSBox and have it read a DBGL/DOG generated and maintained config file?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 8 of 21, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Creating a Windows shortcut that uses a DOSBox config file managed by DBGL or D.O.G. and then moving the Frontend around would potentialy break those shortcuts.

We could search the start menu of the logged on user and his/her's desktop for shortcuts that have a relation to a maintained conf file.

But then we would need to create a unique conf file number, a SID or a CRC32 on the exe?, to identify conf files a user or other users created.

But this could be a very slow process, checking every profile in the repository to each Profile shortcut.

This is a good idea that needs some more brainstorming, will see what I can do...

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc

Reply 9 of 21, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Why would moving the frontend cause problems? Moving the configurations around would cause problems for the shortcut. But that can hardly be helped. Except one could have a variable set in the user environment and use that in the short-cut, e.g. %ProgramFiles%\DOSBox-0.72 -conf %DBConfs%\game.conf.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 10 of 21, by diqits

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ist their any DOS Menu aviable for DOSBOX?
Which i start with Dosbox and have in this a List of my games, so that i can easily playing this game with one click of my ENTER Button.

i hope you know what i mean?

Reply 12 of 21, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
diqits wrote:

Ist their any DOS Menu aviable for DOSBOX?
Which i start with Dosbox and have in this a List of my games, so that i can easily playing this game with one click of my ENTER Button.

i hope you know what i mean?

If I understand you, all you need to do is to create your game profiles in DBGL and then all you have to do is double click on a game in the list to start it. You only have to configure it once.

Reply 13 of 21, by diqits

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No it should be a Dostool which list all my Dos Games from my Folder.

Than you can start the Dostool in Dosbox
and have a list where you can choose which game you want to play.

- it should mark the title of the Game then you can click on it.

We had such a Tool on a CD with One must Fall, Jazz Jackrabbit, Doom and lot of other great old Dos Games like MK3.

Another Question

can i program such thing for myself
cause i have lot of old Dos Games and want to burn it to DVD and then i start this Tool and see the List in DOS or Dosbox

Reply 14 of 21, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yeah, menu programs like this do exist. I use this one, Gekko Menu. It is shareware and no longer availlable, after much search I did find the company that made it and they okayed me to use the license I was using (from a Youth Club I was running ages ago). But there should be free ones availlable, too.

Attachments

• gkmenu20_000.png
    Filename
    gkmenu20_000.png
    File size
    4.12 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 17 of 21, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Why would moving the frontend cause problems? Moving the configurations around would cause problems for the shortcut. But that can hardly be helped. Except one could have a variable set in the user environment and use that in the short-cut, e.g. %ProgramFiles%\DOSBox-0.72 -conf %DBConfs%\game.conf.

Well most of the time people create their confs in the default conf folder, wich resides in the Frontends directory.

But that can hardly be helped.

I think there is a way around this problem using unique identifiers setting them inside the conf/profile and in the shortcut file and thus linking them together.

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc

Reply 18 of 21, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Keep in mind that such a DOS based menu has no real advantage over DBGL or D.O.G., in fact it has the distinct disadvantage of not allowing custom DOSBox configuration for each game. You would have to change what settings manually that you can on the fly. Any settings that have to done from the dosbox.conf would have to done before DOSBox (and hence, your menu) is started. If you needed to change one of these and DOSBox was already running, you would have to exit DOSBox, edit the conf file and restart DOSBox.

Explore these two great frontends, as they are also great database programs for your DOS games, as well.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 19 of 21, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

in fact it has the distinct disadvantage of not allowing custom DOSBox configuration for each game.

Welllll, not really right. The way it is setup on my system is that the menu items call batch files for each game which set the necessary stuff. Almost everything vital can be done that way. Keymapper files are the bad apple but I don't use those anyway. It gets a bit more tricky with mounted images or CD-Roms but that can be circumvented by the batch file as well. And it's not like you don't have to restart Dosbox anyway if you use the frontends and want to play another game...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper