VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Inteck

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am writing this post mainly for informational purposes only. I have recently been playing an old game by the name of Master of Magic. The music and sound effects while working sufficiently, do not seem to match what were originally played when using an older card. I am told VDM sound is used to alleviate this somewhat but the differences remain. Several instruments seem to be wrong and if the truth be known, the end result comes out more than a little on the lame side (sort of like a high school marching band compared against a full blown symphony orchestra). This game is not the only one. As an example Darklands sword fights sound more like a couple of fine wine glasses being brought together in a toast than metal clashing against metal (the original definitely did NOT sound like that all those years ago).

I recently found a couple of old programs that are capable of extracting Sound, Music, and other things like Bitmaps from the LBX Data files. Much to my suprise, after extracting the music into XMIDI format and then converting it over to MIDI; I found that Windows Media Player and another player known as Winamp played the Music and effects EXACTLY the way I remember them.

I am still kind of confused as to why DosBox and the game itself have difficulty re-creating the music on Microprose games. I am making a guess that it has to do with the internal drivers that the game is attempting to use. I firmly believe that they were meant to help the older Soundblaster cards and others like them to play the music correctly. Naturally with the more advanced cards not needing any help, the music becomes somewhat distorted into what we hear today. This is not a problem with dosbox, but rather with old internal game drivers trying to do something that is no longer needed.

Does anyone else have any ideas??

Reply 2 of 3, by Inteck

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you are meaning the in-game INSTALL.EXE provided in the Master of Magic game, the answer is yes. I went down the list one by one testing each one out. Some of them work, others don't. The music plays O.K. on the options it does work on, but compared to the raw extracted (maybe I should say Converted Xmidi files), things simply aren't the same.

If you are meaning the settings in Dosbox configuration file itself, the answer is no. I have not messed with any of the settings there.

Strange but true: Using the "midi" option in the MOM install.exe will give you nothing but silence as far as music goes (I have tried all the different output settiongs), but the sound effects come through perfectly.
Using the "midi" setting also causes tremendous slowdowns.....weird. The same thing happens if you use the Roland sound options.

If you are wondering about the hardware I have-
Here are the stats:
O/S: WinXp (WORST O/S I have ever tried working with IMHO)
Computer: P3@1.1Ghz
Soundcard: Crystal SoundFusion Audio Device
Manufacturer of Soundcard: Crystal Semiconductor

Reply 3 of 3, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Intech - do you get the same sub-par sound with a game like Railroad Tycoon? Qbix and others might not have Master of Magic, so it can be hard to test for them. Using a freely available game like Railroad Tycoon makes it much easier to verify, and possibly fix.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions