VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by trashsmasher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I try to type the mount command the : symbol comes up as ; and the \ symbol comes up as {. It's not cap locks btw. ANy suggestions??

Reply 1 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

wrong keyboard layout, look at the readme about this.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 15, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

US keyboard layout should be the default. Anyway, use keyb us at the DOSBox prompt and see if that helps.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 9 of 15, by trashsmasher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is unfortunate. Things were so easy pre-Vista.

Well anyways, I'm still stuck so any help is appreciated. I've been searchng for help but keep coming up with similiar answers as in the readme.

Reply 10 of 15, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

trash - you have 2 options that avoids the keyboard problem:

1) Download and install DBGL or DOG, 2 front-ends for DOSBox that makes it easy to set up all the mounting outside of DOSBox.

2) Edit the file dosbox.conf (with Notepad) so DOSBox will do the mounting when it starts. But again - Vista security makes editing the default config-file a bit difficult.

If you want to do the manual editing, I think it is best if you copy dosbox.conf (from your Program Files/DOSBox-0.72 folder) to the Desktop, edit it there, and then create a DOSBox shortcut to load your new config file. I should have a post somewhere here on how to make such a shortcut.

Edit: Here -
DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)
Individualized Shortcuts for Each DosBox Game?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 11 of 15, by trashsmasher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh thanks so much! I used the DBGL program (the one I downloaded had Dosbox included) and it works like a charm!! You just made a couple happy campers! My brother and I played these Sierra games when we were kids, and he's visiting for the holiday. Thanks so much!

Quick question:
In DBGL, how does one make the screen bigger? I tried changing the display options in the profile, without any change.

Reply 13 of 15, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
trashsmasher wrote:

played these Sierra games when we were kids

What Sierra games? Some of them will run with ScummVM w/o having to install them...

Klimawandel.

Reply 15 of 15, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Also with D.O.G. you can, using the Profile Manager "New/Edit Profile", detect what keyboard you are using.
See tab Input devices> keyboard and the button "Localize"

In Vista this button only works if giving D.O.G. administrative privelages before starting it. This doesn't always work though.

Also it could be that you're using an non US standard keyboard, canadian or something, could be.

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc