VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Radinor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the files from my old MS-DOS 6.20 install disks on my computer. I'd like to make a bootable floppy image file, so dosbox could boot MS-DOS 6.20, and I could install it on a virtual hard drive.

The problem is, that if I simply make a floppy image file with winimage, and copy the files of the MS-DOS install disk into it, it won't make it bootable, even though it has io.sys, msdos.sys and command.com.

Directly making image files from the ms-dos disks is not an option, because the disks got ruined 3 years ago.

How can I make a bootable floppy image?

Reply 1 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you have Windows XP you can make a bootable image when you format a floppy.
or you can download FreeDOS which has bootable floppies/CD.
or you can find a copy of MS-DOS easily on the internet.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 4, by Radinor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got a little further. I found out that there's an option in winimage to change the properties of the boot sector on the image file. I found an MS-DOS 6.22 boot sector type, and I modified the boot sector to that.

Now, the image still doesn't start, but now it displays the "Non-system disk or disk error" message at boot, even though the image contains io.sys, and msdos.sys.

Maybe the problem is, that the disk contains the files of MS-DOS 6.20, but the boot sector of the image is 6.22? There wasn't an option for a dos 6.20 boot sector, only for a 6.22 one.