Topic actions

Reply 500 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ...

Hi Alexander, ...

I have found that, ...

In D-Fend Reloaded (Screenshot section of a game) = it show an error when i rename (Press F2) a screenshot to an already name there. It mean if i have 1.png 2.png 3.png and try to remane 2.png to 1.png, it show the error below.

The error message is =

Access violation at adress 00801b14 in module 'DFend.exe'. Read of adress 00000024.

Screenshot "1.jpg"

-----------

Also, ...

I have found an other bug in D-Fend Reloaded, but maybe it is known, ...

It is related to screenshot section, is when i rename an image with "F2 keyboard button".

1) I have some screnshot for a game.

screenshot_of_a_game_000.png
screenshot_of_a_game_001.png
screenshot_of_a_game_002.png
screenshot_of_a_game_003.png

2) If i rename (press F2 on a screenshot), screenshot_of_a_game_001.png to screenshot_of_a_game_004.png, and after screenshot_of_a_game_003.png to screenshot_of_a_game_001.png, the screenshot graphics dont show the screenshot_of_a_game_001.png like the old screenshot_of_a_game_003.png,

= It dont keep the name sort. = It show

screenshot_of_a_game_000.png
screenshot_of_a_game_004.png
screenshot_of_a_game_002.png
screenshot_of_a_game_003.png

It seem that the screenshot names is not sorted, when i rename some screenshot (In D-Fend Reladed), but it is not a display problem if i go to explorer, in the windows explorer.

Please it maybe related to 8.3 filename, convention. =For the screenshot name. It dont do that on each game, only long screenshot games name.

---

----------------------------------------------------------------
Sylvain St-Amand

Reply 501 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ...

Hi Alexander, ...

Where is the = "set default screenshot folder" to create all screenshot directory = an one button that create all directorys in the capture button.

I explain =

I have made a vanilla = stric minimum install of the latest version, of D-Fend Reloaded. After, i have copy the "AutoSetup / *.prof", files to Confs directory, after i whant to create all profile name to the capture directory, but for the moment as i say that i have to go to all profile and press the button = "set default screenshot folder", to create the screenshot directory and link that directory to that profile.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Sylvain St-Amand

Reply 502 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi sst,

your first two reported bug are fixed. The first one was only a message display bug. When DFR tried to say "Can't rename A to B" it tried to read A from sounds listview instead of the screenshots list view. The second thing was just because DFR did not sort the screenshots at all. On XP/Vista files are mostly given in a sorted way to a program - but not always. So the screenshot list appeared sorted most times. Now I'm going to sort the list.

The third thing is not a bug: When creating auto setup templates from real profiles the capture folder name is removed from the copy because the capture folder name is a private information which has nothing to do with the template itself. Auto setup templates should not used as profiles directly. Even so they also have the file extension "prof" they should not be copied into the profiles folder. Screenshot folders are automatically set (if this option is actived in the setup dialog) when creating profiles via the program (normal new profile function or new profile wizard).

Reply 503 of 2280, by Kurt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The serial options are again broken in 0.6.0. They were broken in 0.5.0, but then worked perfectly in 0.5.11 (Beta 2). In 0.5.0 no serial options could be saved. In 0.6.0 if you select modem, then only if you are the server is the port saved. If you are not the server (listening is unchecked) then the port is grayed out. You also cannot set the host name like you could in 0.5.11.

I would like to downgrade back to 0.5.11. Is this downloadable anywhere?

Reply 505 of 2280, by skatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Kurt!
Set 'server:port' on client side in your game where it wants phone number.
And on server side specify the same port to listen. Default port value is 23.

Reply 506 of 2280, by Kurt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply Alexander I read the post you mentioned. I knew the dialing string method of setting the port Skatz, but the problem is some games disallow periods and colons from phone numbers entered within the game - which makes setting the server and port difficult.

I see from the referenced post that people think that the "port:###" and "server:address.org" settings don't work for virtual modems in dosbox. This is not the case. Those settings work just fine, and I have been using them. It makes it very handy for games that, as I mentioned, are too strict in what they allow for phone number characters. It's also handy for setting up configurations for my kids that work without fuss. I much prefer using virtual modems rather than virtual null-modem serial ports as some games (like Global Conquest) assume direct connected serial ports are error free, but will tolerate some errors when you tell them to use a modem.

Also, the current implementation still seems to be broken, even according to the "new" standard in that you cannot turn off listening and have it stay off. Every time I uncheck "listen" it comes back magically, and the configuration file always has the listen:#### setting for the virtual modem.

In short, I would really appreciate a return to the exact serial port functionality found in beta 2 (0.5.11). It worked and allowed access to all relevant functionality in DosBox.

Reply 507 of 2280, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> I see from the referenced post that people think that the "port:###" and
> "server:address.org" settings don't work for virtual modems in dosbox. This is
> not the case.

Weird, DOSBox has no code for this.

1+1=10

Reply 508 of 2280, by skatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, Kurt!
At first, to set server and port in your game you may specify it in full IP form (12 digits) and port after it. That is for server 127.0.0.1 and port 5000 virtual phone number would be 1270000000015000

And second, about server/port setings for modem. It is not a matter of thouht. It may work, if someone puts it in code. Maybe I look in wrong places, but I do not see it in last released code, in last cvs, in builds by ykhwong, gilikoza and hal9000.
Maybe you use some other build? Please, tell me what build of dosbox do you use. What game works this way and what do you set in it as phone number. And, please, attach dosbox.conf for this game and console output of dosbox. (If you run dosbox without console (with --noconsole paramater) then it's output would be saved in stdout.txt in current folder).

Alexander!
The only way to disable server modem socket is to set listentport to zero. Please, allow this value (and maybe add message explaining that it disables receiveing calls).

Reply 509 of 2280, by Kurt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll give an example from Global Conquest. In that game I use two types of config files, one for the host, and one for each "client". This is one of the few old DOS games that allowed multiplayer of more than two computers.

The host has the serial section of the config file set for three virtual modems on different ports:

[serial]
serial1=Modem Listenport:5001
serial2=Modem Listenport:5002
serial3=Modem Listenport:5003
serial4=Dummy

Then each "client" has their serial section set as:

[serial]
serial1=Modem Port:5001 Server:glitch

[serial]
serial1=Modem Port:5002 Server:glitch

[serial]
serial1=Modem Port:5003 Serve

When I connect, I don't set a port number in the "phone number" through the game but it still connects. Since I'm definitely not using default port numbers, that means that the only place the clients can possibly be getting the port number from is the conf file. I have played like this with my kids for the last couple weeks and it works quite well.

I'm attaching two config files - ones that I used to test this setup originally on my computer locally with multiple DosBox instances running at once.

Attachments

• Filename
    GC.zip
    File size
    3.19 KiB
    Downloads
    458 downloads
    File comment
    Global Conquest virtual modem setup test configuration files
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 510 of 2280, by skatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Kurt!
Well, the problem is in the way in which DOSBox understands serial port definition: it does not accept parameters with capitals, only in lowercase. So string like 'Modem Listenport:5001' does not work at all. That is how DFR 5.0 worked.
In following betas Alexander converts the first letter of such strings to lowercase. Pervious string becomes 'modem Listenport:5001'. And DOSBox recognizes it as modem, but parameter is unknown. So it starts modem emulation with default listenport 23. And that is your case.
All your port settings are going to wane. And your GC works because all parts are setted to same port(default).
In last release Alexander lowercases all string. That is 'modem listenport:5001'. And that works at last as it should: modem is created with port 5001. But your client game completly ignores your port/server seetings and tries to connect to port 23. And cannot.
You may specify server and port in dial string. GC accept both points and columns in phone number. Unfortunately it can not use preconfigured dial settings, but it is not DOSBox problem.
Try to set all port to default. Maybe it will help you.
And enable dosbox console while testing. You will see many useful info.

Alexander!
One very small issue with modem settings. When you disable listenport it is stored in profile in right way (only 'modem' string). But when you open such porofile for editing it is displayed with choosen port 5000. And that is wrong, as DOSBox default port is 23.

Reply 511 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi skatz,

I've changed the profile editor; it will set "listenport:0" if listen for connection is turned off. Additionally 23 will be displayed as default port for modem connections. I hope now everything is fine. (I must admit I have never really used the modem settings for running my old games, so I must rely on things you say.)

BTW DFR 0.6.1 is nearly ready and I'll try to release it end of this week. And there will be a new 0.7.0 feature.

Reply 512 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi everybody,

I have just released D-Fend Reloaded 0.6.1. This version is a bugfix version with no big new features. You can find the different available download packages as usual on the download page and the list of changes on the changelog page. (If you have enabled the 0.7.0b0 features and like to use archive files other than zip and 7z via some external programs, you can take a look in the setup dialog.)

At the moment I'm planning to release the next big new version 0.7.0 by the beginning of next year. On the beta download page you can already find a list of things I would like to implement in 0.7.0.

Have a nice weekend and have fun with the new release
Alexander

Reply 513 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ...

Hi Alexander, ...

I have = Windows Vista Ultimate, FrenchCanadian, x64 [SP2 (BetaTest)], HP DV8305ca Laptop, 1 Cpu core AMD Turion 64 Mobile, [2 Gig. DDR1 333 Ram], [UAC SP2 enabled], [WindowsDefender x64 enabled], [ReadyBoost = [2gig on a "SecureDigital Highspeed(C2)"], [Vista Ultimate Estimated Score of = 3.0].

---

I have the final D-Fend Reloaded 0.6.1, version installed on, Windows Vista Ultimate, FrenchCanadian, x64 [SP2 (BetaTest)].

= No incompatibility problem found.

I have donwloaded and used in memory, the latest version of Linux Ubuntu 8.10 Final, and try D-Fend Reloaded 0.6.0 RC, not D-Fend Reloaded 0.6.1., with Wine latest v1.1.7 Emulator, and it work with no error. I will try the latest 0.6.1 Final, today in Ubuntu 8.10 Final.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have just found a screenshot display bug, ...

After i have created a screenshot, CTRL-F5 in a game and quit that game, and return to D-Fend Reloaded, i see that game screenshot (thumbnail) inside D-Fend Reloaded, is in low quality black and white, when i select an other game, and after select the game that game that i have created the screenshot, the screenshot (thumbnail), is in color.

--------------------------
Sylvain St-Amand (sst)

Reply 514 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi sst,

this is a well known problem to me. But it's not directly a D-Fend Reloaded problem. It's due to the color depth changing when starting DOSBox. As soon as you capture a screenshot, D-Fend Reloaded will update the preview area. If the image has more colors than the current system color depth allows, the number of colors is decreased while displaying the image. (This is done by the run time library or by Windows itself), so I cannot influence this. When changing back to the normal desktop resolution the image is not updated and so keeps black/white. I can try (in the next version) to get some notification when the resolution changes and update the image.

Greetings
Alexander

Reply 515 of 2280, by Perplexia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been playing Heroes of might and magic 1 and 2 in dosbox. The cd audio music was too quiet and couldn't find a cdaudio adjustment in the mixer of the frontend. Not really a problem since I can just enter the adjustment as a custom setting (such a great feature). I know that the cdaudio option of the mixer is not available in dosbox itself unless there's a cd mounted with dosbox. However since it is available in dosbox and you already have mixer adjustments in the frontend I thought it might be something to add. Also, dosbox lets you adjust the volume way beyond 100, and also lets you adjust the level by decibels. Just some ideas for possible inclusion in D-Fend Reloaded.

Reply 516 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ...

Hi Alexander, ...

I have = Windows Vista Ultimate, FrenchCanadian, x64 SP1. HP DV8305ca Laptop, 1 Cpu core AMD Turion 64 Mobile, [2 Gig. DDR1 333 Ram], [UAC SP2 disabled], [WindowsDefender x64 enabled], [ReadyBoost = [4gig on a "USB ThumbDrive 8Gig"], [Vista Ultimate Estimated Score of = 3.0].

---
I have the final D-Fend Reloaded 0.6.1, version installed on, Windows Vista Ultimate, FrenchCanadian, x64 SP1. = , and [buy a 8 gig USB ThumbDrive, now i have a 4 gig ReadyBoost].
---
I have donwloaded and used in memory, the latest version of Linux Ubuntu 8.10 Final x64, and try D-Fend Reloaded 0.6.1 Final version, with Wine latest v1.1.7 Emulator. = (D-Fend Reloaded 0.6.1 Final version work).

---
No new bug to report, ...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------
Sylvain St-Amand (sst)

Reply 517 of 2280, by oolie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Latest Polish DFR translation including few new strings that Alexander had added to DFR's 'incomplete features' in 0.6.1 and few typos (I always seem to find some!)

Attachments

• Filename
    Polish.ini
    File size
    72.75 KiB
    Downloads
    459 downloads
    File comment
    Complete Polish translation for D-Fend Reloaded 0.6.1
    File license

Reply 518 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi Perplexia,

I've never tested CD audio in DOSBox, so I have just implemented the mixer commands like described in the DOSBox readme file. The readme isn't saying anything about CD audio and about percent values bigger than 100.

If you are really sure setting CD audio volume is supported by DOSBox and you can tell me the command for this (I would guess "mixer cd left:right"), I can add this. For allowing percent values bigger than 100 I need to know the real maximum value for DOSBox. Adding an option to setup sound volume in percent or in decibels would make the profile editor even complexer and would not bring much improvement in my eyes. (Because the DOSBox sound output is directed though the Windows mixer and then through the amplifier of your sound system.)

Greetings
Alexander

Reply 519 of 2280, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Alexander wrote:

(I would guess "mixer cd left:right"), I can add this.

Fascinating, there are hidden features included. 😎

Attachments

• mixer.jpg
    Filename
    mixer.jpg
    File size
    37.66 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    CD audio mixer
    File license