Common searches

D-Fend Reloaded (DOSBox frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 522 of 2280, by skatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mixer cdaudio left:right

And this channel is added to mixer only AFTER mounting cdrom IMAGE.
So it should be used after all mounting commands.

Reply 523 of 2280, by Perplexia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alexander,

Yes, as has been mentioned before the cdaudio option is only available after an iso or bin/cue image is mounted to the dosbox virtual drive. The command is "mixer cdaudio left:right". To change the settings by decibels the command is "mixer cdaudio d(x)" where (x) is the decibel adjustment you want. The maximum allowable decibel adjustment is +100, which, for whatever reason, equates to 9999998 in the volume percentage setting. So at that level it seems much more practical to use the decibel settings rather than the percentage settings. Of course, adjusting the volumes too high results in distortion, and a setting of +100 decibels will probably always be way too high.

I don't know how practical it would be to insert the command into the frontend since it's only usable with a mounted cd image. But I just figured since you have all the other controls there it's kind of a nice gui feature to have available in case. I adjusted the cdaudio settings in HOMM II way beyond 100 percent because it was too quiet compared to the rest of the audio for that particular game on my machine. If you wanted to implement it into your frontend, maybe you could have the bar grayed out or something until an image is mounted in the 'Mount' section. Also, maybe you could have the volume bars swappable between percentage value and decibel with each maxed at 100. That way, if for some reason the volume percentage needs to go beyond 100, the user could switch to decibel setting to specify the desired level.

Obviously, it's your call as to whether it would be a practical, worthwhile addition. I think your frontend is already loaded with all the essential features I would want, but it's also the most comprehensive I've seen. These are just suggestions to sort of move toward making it 'more comprehensive' if you will, if that's what you're going for.

Reply 524 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ...

Hi Alexander, ...

= Compatibility with Windows 7 Build 6801.

For the moment, it dont have compatibility bug.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Sylvain St-Amand

Reply 525 of 2280, by Vicman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Alexander, Hi All,

First i want to thank you, for this great Frontend !
I've also used D-Fend, before the Development was stopped.

Now I have a Question :

Is it possible to use zipped files in this Frontend ?
I don't mean the "big ripped Games" or Iso's etc.
Just the old small Dos games......

Don't know, if this was asked before in this Topic. (Haven't read all pages...)
But I think this question was asked somewhere on "VOGONS".....

I have DL the "Dosbox-Launcher" from "Pleasuredome" (maybe you know it),
a Guy namend "Exo" has wrote some Batch-files, to use with "MaLe" (mame-frontend).
You can choose a Game, it will be extract, and by finishing you have the Option to hold the file decompressed, or to delete it.

Maybe this Feature is a nice "to do" for your development....

keep up your great Work with this Frontend !!!

ciao,
Vicman

Reply 526 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

D-Fend Reloaded is supporting zip files as DOSBox drives (see mount type "zip file" in the mount editor in profile editor) [and for Vicman: see PM]. DFR will extract the zip file, mount it in DOSBox and repack it after DOSBox terminates.

And some status update:
I'm very, very, very busy at work at the moment and won't have any free time til middle of december. So don't expect fast answers from me at the moment and don't expect a first beta of D-Fend Reloaded 0.7 before january.

Reply 527 of 2280, by Vicman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your reply & your PM.....
And of course you very busy :
Have a nice Christmas & a Happy new Year,
waiting for your new release in 2009 😁

Reply 528 of 2280, by golgoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys, i just installed a pair of gob engine games (gobliins 2 and woodruff), but it seems that i can't choose the language with d-fend.

Is there a way to set a language different from the default, maybe by manually modifying the .ini file?

Thanks

Reply 530 of 2280, by golgoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Do you mean changing language for the game itself?

Exactly!

Can you change the language under 'plain' ScummVM (excluding DFR)?

Yep...!

Same happens with legend of kyrandia 3: i have a CD with english, german and italian, but if i use d-fend i can only play it in English, while with ScummVM i may choose the language i wish.

Reply 531 of 2280, by oolie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi golgoth,

Apparently, the thing is DFR doesn't recognize itself which ScummVM game is multilingual. See page 24 of this thread for more info. (Lord_Rius posts and related)

Reply 533 of 2280, by Lord_Rius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi at all, 3 questions:

1) If you navigate through your list games, if they have more sreenshots, or big screenshots, the navigation is too slow.
2) I think would be a good idea to have folders in screenshots tab than data tab (with the same structure with tree list at left and content at right) (For example BOX SCANS, SCREENSHOTS) subfolders.
3) If you open D-Fend Reloaded, you have report list of games, and at your left the tree filter, if you select a filter (For example, Emulation type>Windows) and close D-Fend, if you open again D-Fend, the filter is set to All instead of Emulation type>Windows) Store filter.

Nothing more, we are making more and more the best front-end, with our ideas and suggestions.

Reply 534 of 2280, by golgoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Another problem similar to the one i described above: i just installed an FM-TOWNS version of Indy 3, along with a fan-made italian translation.

To be short, the game doesn't work with D-Fend because it does not load the FM-TOWNS version, while when i add it with scummVM im able to choose between the vga version (not working, i get the same message i got with D-Fend) and the FM-TOWNS one.

Without the fan-made translation the game works correctly both ways, but with it i can make it work only by using ScummVM and selecting the FM-TOWNS version.

How can i force it by editing the .conf file?

Reply 535 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi everybody,
I've been very busy at work the last few weeks, but now I'm back again. I haven't had any time to work on D-Fend Reloaded but from the last posts I have collected the following requests:

• Game languages for ScummVM games:
    Until now DFR offers different game languages for ScummVM games if the ScummVM readme says different languages are supported for the game. But it seems the readme is not complete and there are more games for which ScummVM offers language selection than the readme tells me. (If you, all, can tell me for which games language selection should additionally be offered, I can extended the support in DFR.)
  • If you navigate through your list games, if they have more sreenshots, or big screenshots, the navigation is too slow: I'm afraid a cannot do much about this. Some time ago I have tested which part of the list creation takes most time. Over 90% of the time is used for the Windows API call for adding the records to the listview control. 🙁
  • Folders in Screenshot viewer: Interessting idea. This could really be useful but on the other hand it would make the handling for new user again a bit more complex. I'll see if I find a good solution.
  • Storing selected filter: Good idea, should be no bigger problem to implement.
  • FM-TOWNS: I don't know this game. But I see another problem here: Things like "fan-made italian translation" will probably not been listed in the ScummVM readme etc. Perhaps I should add an option like "I'm sure this game supports this language let me choose it even if DFR thinks this language is not supported for this game in ScummVM."

Last weeks I've been busy; the next weeks I'll have pleny of time but I'll be away from any fast internet connection so do not expect fast ansers here til next year.

Have a nice Christmas holiday
Alexander

Reply 536 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ...

Hi Alexander, ...

------------------------------------------

I see on dosbox.com website, news of 8 december 2008 =

That the "dosbox.com" download section, will be moved to, "frontends.dosbox.com".

[dosbox.com, text] = So if you are a frontend maker or knowledgeable user, feel free to edit the information about your favorite frontend as it is a wiki.
--
Also for Alexander, ... = I see on "frontends.dosbox.com" website, that your software version, is only displayed 0.5.0

=

D-Fend Reloaded Windows 2008-08-22 0.72/CVS 0.5.0
-----------

----------------------------------------------------------------
Sylvain St-Amand

Reply 537 of 2280, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello there. I'm creating a portable installation of DFR for a friend, and right now I'm storing it at F:\MS-DOS, which stands for my USB memory pen drive.

What I expect to get is a DFR installation that will work from my USB pen as well as any folder of my friend's PC I end copying it to.

So far, I've:

1) Moved all games to F:\MS-DOS\VirtualHD, and updated the profiles (even ticking the option "File path is relative to DOSBox folde structure) and their mountings.

2) Set up operation mode as "portable" and the folders as follows:

Base folder (for relative path): F:\MS-DOS\

Game folder: F:\MS-DOS\VirtualHD\

Additional data folder: F:\MS-DOS\VirtualHD\

3) Set up DOSBox path (F:\MS-DOS\DOSBOX) and pushed the "Portable" button.

And here come the problems... the DOSBox DOS profile runs fine, but all game profiles return the same message:

dosbox000nc2.th.png

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Reply 538 of 2280, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

looks like it wants to switch f:
which makes no sense as you only mounted a C drive
please look at the dosbox.conf files generated (as not all commands are visible due to echo off )

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 539 of 2280, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My guess is that for some reason, most likely faulty mounting on my behalf, DOSBox or DFR don't like F:\MS-DOS\VirtualHD mounted as C:

But here comes the real mess. DFR creates a DOSBOX DOS profile, launching DOSBox pretty much "as it is", and if I change the mounting on that profile to F:\MS-DOS\VirtualHD it runs fine.

I've noticed a "C:" prominently featured in the AUTOEXEC version of that profile, so I've added it to all my game profiles. Still no results. But finally, if I leave that and then mount the game folder (F:\MS-DOS\VirtualHD\<Name of the game>) as C:, the game loads. Even if the error messages continue to appear. Look at this:

tetrisc002af3.th.png

I can't understand it.