D-Fend Reloaded (DOSBox frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 541 of 2280, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's one of them, Lamborghini.conf:

# This DOSBox configuration file was automatically created by D-Fend Reloaded. # Changes made to this file will NOT be transfere […]
Show full quote

# This DOSBox configuration file was automatically created by D-Fend Reloaded.
# Changes made to this file will NOT be transfered to D-Rend Reloaded profiles list.
# D-Fend Reloaded will delete this file from temp directory on program close.

# Config file for profile "Lamborghini"

[sdl]
fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=original
windowresolution=original
output=surface
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
usecancodes=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=F:\MS-DOS\mapper.txt

[dosbox]
machine=vga
captures=F:\MS-DOS\Capture\Lamborghini\
memsize=32

[render]
frameskip=0
aspect=true
scaler=normal2x

[cpu]
core=auto
cycles=auto
cycleup=500
cycledown=20

[mixer]
nosound=false
rate=22050
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=10

[midi]
mpu401=intelligent
device=default
config=

[sblaster]
sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=22050

[gus]
gus=true
gusrate=22050
gusbase=240
irq1=5
irq2=5
dma1=1
dma2=1
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

[speaker]
pcspeaker=true
pcrate=22050
tandy=auto
tandyrate=22050
disney=true

[dos]
xms=true
ems=true
umb=true
keyboardlayout=US

[joystick]
joysticktype=none
timed=true
autofire=false
swap34=false
buttonwrap=true

[serial]
serial1=dummy
serial2=dummy
serial3=disabled
serial4=disabled

[autoexec]
@echo off
SET PATH=Z:\
keyb US 437 > nul
mount C "F:\MS-DOS\VIRTUA~1\LAMBOR~1\"
C:
cd \.\VIRTUA~1\LAMBOR~1\
LAC.EXE
exit

Mmm... shouldn't those final lines be showing fullname paths instead of truncated versions? Just asking.

Reply 542 of 2280, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the mounting + CDing afterwards looks seriously messed up. Where can that LAC.EXE be found on your drive
The truncated version in the CD command is how it should be. however I wonder whether whole CD command is needed at all

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 544 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ...

[autoexec] @echo off SET PATH=Z:\ keyb US 437 > nul mount C "F:\MS-DOS\VIRTUA~1\LAMBOR~1\" C: cd \.\VIRTUA~1\LAMBOR~1\ LA […]
Show full quote

[autoexec]
@echo off
keyb US 437 > nul
C:
cd \.\VIRTUA~1\LAMBOR~1\
LAC.EXE
exit

Respond =

I use (inside the profile section)

1) I dont check the checkbox ="File path is relative to DOSBox directory structure", for a game.

2) I use for example, in a profile, "Program | Program Files", option.

.\VirtualHD\Winter Games 1991\WINTER.EXE

---

see my autoexec.bat

[autoexec]
@echo off
keyb US 437 > nul
mount C "C:\EMULAT~1\DOSEMU~1\D-FEND~2\VIRTUA~1\"
C:
cd\
cd \WINTER~1
call WINTER.EXE

----------------------------------------------------------------
Sylvain St-Amand

Reply 545 of 2280, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I see... looks like my problem was checking on the "File path is relative to DOSBox directory structure" option. I thought it was meant for portable installations.

Anyway, I have unchecked it, done some more cleanup and now everything works fine.

Here's how my "Lamborghini.conf" looks now:

# This DOSBox configuration file was automatically created by D-Fend Reloaded. # Changes made to this file will NOT be transfere […]
Show full quote

# This DOSBox configuration file was automatically created by D-Fend Reloaded.
# Changes made to this file will NOT be transfered to D-Rend Reloaded profiles list.
# D-Fend Reloaded will delete this file from temp directory on program close.

# Config file for profile "Lamborghini"

[sdl]
fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=original
windowresolution=original
output=surface
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
usecancodes=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=F:\MS-DOS\mapper.txt

[dosbox]
machine=vga
captures=F:\MS-DOS\Capture\Lamborghini\
memsize=32

[render]
frameskip=0
aspect=true
scaler=normal2x

[cpu]
core=auto
cycles=auto
cycleup=500
cycledown=20

[mixer]
nosound=false
rate=22050
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=10

[midi]
mpu401=intelligent
device=default
config=

[sblaster]
sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=22050

[gus]
gus=true
gusrate=22050
gusbase=240
irq1=5
irq2=5
dma1=1
dma2=1
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

[speaker]
pcspeaker=true
pcrate=22050
tandy=auto
tandyrate=22050
disney=true

[dos]
xms=true
ems=true
umb=true
keyboardlayout=US

[joystick]
joysticktype=none
timed=true
autofire=false
swap34=false
buttonwrap=true

[serial]
serial1=dummy
serial2=dummy
serial3=disabled
serial4=disabled

[autoexec]
@echo off
keyb US 437 > nul

C:
cd\
LAC.EXE
exit

Thank you all for your support.

Reply 546 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi Neville,

the "File path is relative to DOSBox directory structure" option is ment for accessing files inside mounted images. For example if you have mounted SomeCD.iso as drive D: and you want to run a file from this iso image you cannot select the file to run from your Windows directory structure because Windows cannot see the files inside the iso image. So the option above tells DFR "just rely on me, the given path and file (like D:\Start.exe) will exist inside the DOSBox directory structure".

BTW: The easiest way of making portable DFR installations is creating a new installation (by the installer or via the "Create portable installation" option from the transfer profiles dialog) and then transfering the games via the "Transfer profiles" dialog. This will ensure all paths are right.

And some little status update: Just added a function to import any zip file (not only zip files created with DFR containing a prof file). DFR will try to autodetect the game via the auto setup templates add it to a new subfolder of the games folder (with a folder name from the template or "game<nr>" if not matching template exist). Additionally the next version will bring the often requested "Scan games folder" function allowing find new game via the templates completely automatically.

Reply 547 of 2280, by mandark0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi alexander!

i have an additional suggestion for your already great tool regarding scummvm.

on this website one can download a custom version of scummvm and (absolutely great) digitalized midi soundtracks for a couple of adventure games. to use these soundtracks e.g. for the games "legend of kyrandia" 1 and 2, one must set the following setting in the scummvm-ini:

music_driver=digitalmidi

"digitalmidi" is however not a standard setting of "music_driver" and thus it cannot be selected in the drop-down-menu of the d-fend-reloaded frontend.

im sure that there are many other non-official hacks and custom versions of scummvm with other custom non-standard ini-settings out there. i know that its neither possible nor reasonable for d-fend reloaded to support every one of these, but another solution could make the use of d-fend reloaded with these versions possible:

for dosbox-games d-fend reloaded offers a textbox called "Custom settings" which allows the following (taken from the help-text):

"The lines entered in this edit field are added to the DOSBox configuration file when running DOSBox. You can overwrite all other settings by writing something in this box. Also settings perhaps offered by some newer DOSBox versions can be used by writing the configuration lines to this field."

to cut a long story short: exactly the same function would also be nice and helpful for scummvm. 😀

Reply 548 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi mandark0,

I think having a "ScummVM custom settings" field would be a good idea. I have added this to my 0.7.0 todo list.

I have already a not yet complete list of change wishes for the ScummVM support in D-Fend Reloaded. At the moment I'm planning to do the following things:

• Releasing beta 1 of D-Fend Reloaded 0.7.0 this month (at the moment I'm working on an improved CD mounting support; mount by drive number, file/folder on CD, CD label or ask the user) with only very little ScummVM improvements.
  • Collect user requests belonging to ScummVM. (I'm not using very many games with ScummVM so I probably don't know all possible ScummVM settings.)
  • Adding all this things in beta 2. (But the ScummVM custom settings should already be there in beta 1.)

And finally some little status update:

• Genre names and language names in the games list are now translateable. (In each language there can be a list of Englisch names <-> custom names. If DFR finds an (Englisch) genre name from a profile in this list, it will show the name in its translated version. This will also work in the profile editor etc.)
  • DOSBox keyboard layout and codepage can be set up per DOSBox installation. (DFR will first use the data from the profile. If the profile says "default" it will choose the settings from the chosen DOSBox installation. If this is also "default" it will use the settings from the language file.)
  • Fixed: Creation of installer packages or zip files could result in to big files (installer) or fail (zip) if you used an image file in a profile and this image files was also reachable via some mounts. (In this case DFR tried to add the file twice.)

Reply 549 of 2280, by Vicman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All,

I want to play/add midi-files to DFend-Re.
But I think *.midi is not supportet on Dfend !? only mp3,wav,ogg etc. can be choose....
please can you add this Feature ? (if possible...)

Reply 551 of 2280, by Vicman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you, Alexander 😉

'cause I've found a Game music base, where you can DL some great tunes !
If anyone knows another midi-homepage, please let me know !

btw. when will this "midi-feature" be ready to update ?

Reply 552 of 2280, by Vicman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

again me......

@ Alexander :
please (if possible) can you also add Mod-Files to the DFend-Re. Sound-Option ?
file types are : MOD / XM / S3M / IT
many music-files are mods !
maybe it'll be possible to play this tunes directly with "DeliPlayer" or "ModPlug player" while "clicking" the music-files in DFend-Re.

Reply 553 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi Vicman,

at the moment I'm planning to release D-Fend Reloaded 0.7 beta 1 by the end of this month.

Making the sound previewer (or the screenshot previewer) a complete file manager:
No, I think I won't add user settings for custom file types (not even recognized by DFR as sound files) to the previewer. If you want to collect additional sound files etc. you can place them in the additional data folder. If you click any file from this folder, D-Fend Reloaded will open it in the Windows default player. The data folder viewer is nearly a file manager (can open any file - by giving them to Windows -, managing subfolders etc.) The capture viewer is ment to display screenshots / play sounds captured by DOSBox. Sorry.

And some last question for today to all of you:
I will start improving the volume settings GUI tomorrow. At the moment the volume can be set from "0%" up to "100%". There are user requests to allow more than 100% as maximum volume. There are two options: Allowing a maximum value of "200%" or "400%". (But attention: A higher maximum value means the default range 0% to 100% gets smaller on the slider and my confuse normal users.) Or allowing to switch between percent-based volume setting (0% to 100%) and decibel-based (-50 to +20 or even more) per channel. But this would make the whole GUI a bit unclear. What do you think ? I would prefer using a maximum value of "200%" and not offering decibel-based volume setinngs (beause therefore I would need no bigger changes to GUI).

Reply 554 of 2280, by Vicman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Alexander wrote:

If you want to collect additional sound files etc. you can place them in the additional data folder.

Well, that's all I need 😁 ....I didn't remember the data folder to collect anything...... 🙄

Alexander wrote:

What do you think ? I would prefer using a maximum value of "200%" and not offering decibel-based volume setinngs (beause therefore I would need no bigger changes to GUI).

I agree you. A maximum value of 200% is enough.

Reply 555 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have decided to use a maximum value of 200% for the volume. And if anybody really needs some higher volume value for some game there is still the custom settings box or the autoexec.bat box.

(BTW: Just working on the ScummVM custom settings box.)

Reply 556 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ...

Please look, at this website = http://frontends.dosbox.com

http://frontends.dosbox.com

= It will be the new dosbox frontend section (wiki and download section), for dosbox.com..., but the "D-Fend Reloaded section, is empty".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

at the moment I'm planning to release D-Fend Reloaded 0.7 beta 1 by the end of this month

Ok. but an early alpha, or only a beta for download. ? = It seem that you will make big change in the v0.7 version, like the auto-detection of several games, inside a directory.

---

I ask for a change on the games directory.

For the moment its a problem. = the "VirtualHD, directory", is only in the "D-Fend Reloaded, directory". It can made a major bug, if i whant to use an other name of the game directory. Even the "VirtualHD, Dos games directory", [is only working] in a sub-directory of the "D-Fend Reloaded, directory".

Then, i whant to have inside the D-Fend Reloaded software, = a "Portable softwares directory, Option", [that this portable softwares directory, (can be inside and/or outside the "D-Fend Reloaded, directory")] also, ... that dont only have the name 'VirtualHD'.

If it not clear, then ask me, ...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------
Sylvain St-Amand (SST)

Reply 557 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi sst,

http://frontends.dosbox.com
I know this site but on most wikis its not very welcome to change pages about oneself (making advertisement for oneself). But perhaps someone else with a more neutral point of view would like to write something about my little program.

Next release
I have got only 5 items on my beta 1 todo so I'm really not planing to release anything before beta 1. Beta 1 should be ready in about 2 weeks. The beta 1 release will still not be feature complete but will give a good idea of the main things planed for the next release.

Game directory, D-Fend Reloaded data directory
Sorry, but I do not understand exactly what you are meaning. You do not need to store your games in the "VirtualHD" folder. Its only the initial value for the games directory (see setup dialog). And there is also no need to use the games directory at all. It's just the initial opened directory in the file selection dialog when selecting the game file to start. You can store your games where ever you want and you can select as the games directory what ever you want. There is only one restriction: If you want to use relative path names the directory has to be inside the D-Fend Reloaded file structure (usually a subdirectory of "C:\Users\you\D-Fend Reloaded"). But if you do not need the advantages of relative path names (transfering profiles to other installations, building installer and zip packages) you can also ignore this restriction.

Reply 558 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just some little status update:

• Just today added an Italian language file to D-Fend Reloaded: The next release will have the Italian language file in the installer. For the current 0.6.1 release you can download it from the homepage.
  • Updated the example games packages: Added the demo Unreal (also like Second Reality from Future Crew), exchanged the shareware version of Overkill by the new freeware version and improved all genre names etc. (D-Fend Reloaded 0.7.0 will be able to translate genre names by a list in each language file on the fly so on each installation the genre and language names in the games list will appear always in the currently activated program language.)
  • About one week until beta 1 release of D-Fend Reloaded 0.7.0: There is just one bigger thing left so you can expect the beta 1 to be released somewhere next week.

Reply 559 of 2280, by axelmoore

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Alexander and congratulations for your great front end, my problem is that resolution 1680x1050 is not available for choosing in every congif profile, that means that if i want to play in full screen 1680x1050 a game, i must edit manually that profile, but when i edit that profile again from the front end and not from text editor, it changes me back the resolution to original because the front end dont have in the list 1680x1050...

¿Theres some way to solve that? I love your front end but understand that its very boring stay changing the profile manually every time that i want change something because it gets back to original Sad

My apologies for my bad english....

Axel...