VOGONS

Common searches

D-Fend Reloaded (DOSBox frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 721 of 2280, by Feist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just registered (here) and placed my vote at sourceforge!

Many thanks for your project Alexander!

DFR has completely revitalized my interest in old games. Something that DOSBox by itself, and several older frontends, never succeded in.

Reply 723 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Alexander, ...

I use your = D-Fend Reloaded 0.7, Final "PortableApps package".

Windows 7 RC x64 Ultimate Build #7100 French Canadian, [UAC disabled = User Account Control disabled].

---

I have tested = D-Fend Reloaded 0.7, Final "PortableApps package", inside [Windows 7 RC x64 Ultimate Build #7100 French Canadian], version.

-

D-Fend Reloaded is in compatibility, inside Windows 7 = is ok. (But it show a compatibility check, the first time i try, your D-Fend Reloaded software)

-

DosBox is in compatibility, inside Windows 7 = is ok.

---

--------------------------
Sylvain St-Amand (sst)

Reply 724 of 2280, by PsychoGoatee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My antispyware search found a trojan inside of the D-Fend folder after updating to 0.7.0.

C:\Program Files\D-Fend Reloaded\Bin\installvideocodec.exe

It successfully removed it, but, yeah... any explanation here? What is that file, and why was it there in the first place?

Reply 725 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The installvideocodec.exe is called by D-Fend Reloaded if you press the "Install Codec" button in the video previewer window (which appears if DFR can't play a video recored by DOSBox because the DOSBox video codec is not installed).

If you download the D-Fend Reloaded source code, you will find the nsi script from which the installvideocodec.exe is made in the folder Tools\InstallVideoCodec. All you need is NSIS and UPX to create exactly the same exe file from the source code.

The main thing it does is:

ReadRegStr $R0 HKLM "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion" CurrentVersion
IfErrors we_9x we_nt
we_nt:
Exec '"rundll32" setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 128 $0\zmbv\zmbv.inf'
goto end
we_9x:
Exec '"rundll32" setupx.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 128 $0\zmbv\zmbv.inf'
end:

but with admin rights because of "RequestExecutionLevel admin" some lines above. And $0 is the DOSBox path read from the command line parameters. The external codec installer is needed because D-Fend Reloaded itself is running strictly without admin rights. So only when trying to install the DOSBox video codec (if not already installed during installation) D-Fend Reloaded is calling installvideocodec.exe, installvideocodec.exe is requesting admin rights and then installing the codec. (BTW the nsi lines above are straight from the DOSBox installer script.)

Some spyware scanners might distrust the video codec installer because it requests admin rights, calls rundll32 and is runtime packed by UPX. (Because in particular for the portable installation there is no cause to waste space.) So this is a false alert. If you do not believe me, you can also look here:

http://www.softpedia.com/progClean/D-Fend-Rel … ean-119416.html
(D-Fend Reloaded 0.6.1 already contained exactly the same video codec install helper. If you download DFR 0.6.1 and 0.7.0 and compare the codec installer programs you will see, they are bytewise identically.)

P.S.: What "trojan" did your scanner find? A concrete name or just a "Heuristic/might be dangerous"?

Reply 726 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Alexander, ...

Windows 7 RC x64 Ultimate Build #7100 French Canadian, [UAC disabled = User Account Control disabled].

---
I have tested and working, without compatibility problem = ( D-Fend Reloaded 0.7, Final "PortableApps package", and "DosBox 0.72" ), inside [Windows 7 RC x64 Ultimate Build #7100 French Canadian], version.
---

Any news, on the development of DosBox and D-Fend Reloaded ???

Sylvain St-Amand (sst)

Reply 727 of 2280, by PsychoGoatee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It listed it as "trojan.media-codec".

Anyways, having removed it, will it affect anything? I assume that dosbox will still work the same without it?

I mean, most Dos games wouldn't even require an additional video codec, right? And I have a typical codec pack installed on my computer.

Reply 728 of 2280, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You only need the codec if you want to watch DOSBox recorded videos if your media player doesn't have the zmbv codec built in.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 729 of 2280, by sdr56

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Alexander
I have your D-Fend Reloaded running on my laptop and desktop, and does the job perfectly.
I have since bought a new desktop still running XP Pro 32 bit, 512MB nividia ge force 9800GT and Intel Quad Processor 9400, and loaded your program. The program runs under dosbox within reloaded but wont load from your frontend. It loads up and than the program stops. No message as the screen flashes for a couple of seconds than disappears.
I am not technical with computer. WHY do these computers all behave differently?? How do i fix this problem?. your ideas would be very appreciated.
eric

Reply 730 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi eric,
if you want me to help you, you need to be a bit more precise:

The program runs under dosbox within reloaded

If you mean "The program"="a DOS program you want to run", you want to run a DOS program in DOSBox by starting DOSBox via D-Fend Reloaded, ok.

but wont load from your frontend.

What is not loading from D-Fend Reloaded? The DOS program or DOSBox at all?

It loads up and than the program stops.

What stops? D-Fend Reloaded, DOSBox or the DOS program. If D-Fend Reloaded is not responding anymore, there is something totally going wrong, if DOSBox (or more likely) the DOS program inside DOSBox is not responding anymore, there might be something misconfigurated.

No message as the screen flashes for a couple of seconds than disappears.

Do you mean: DOSBox starts and closes immediately? If so, DOSBox might can't find the program file to start or the program (inside DOSBox) closes immediately. You can turn off "Close DOSBox when program closes" on the "DOSBox settings" page of the profile editor to see what DOSBox or the programs displays. Perhpas this helps.

Reply 731 of 2280, by sdr56

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alexander
thanks for your reply

On my laptop the dos program runs under dosbox within reloaded. The dos progarm runs under emulator windows within reloaded.

On my new desktop the dos program runs under dosbox within reloaded. But the dos progarm will not run under emulator windows within reloaded.

Your program runs great, could it be the garphic card or the processor in this new machine?
regards eric

Reply 733 of 2280, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think DFend Reloaded can act as a launcher for games outside of DOSBox. So someone could use NTVDM if they wanted to.

If the game worked on your old laptop through Dfend and not on your desktop (and it's not using DOSBox). Then it's not a DOSBox or DFend problem. It's a Windows problem.

You should troubleshoot your game outside of Dfend Reloaded or DOSBox if you want to figure out why NTVDM isn't working. If your desktop is using Vista then forget about trying to troubleshoot and just uses DOSBox and forget about NTVDM.

Reply 734 of 2280, by sdr56

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi again
You are correct the problem with my dos program is a windows problem.
reloaded works great.
within reloaded there are 3 emulation types. Within reloaded, on my laptop, I can run my dos program in windows emulation. But on the new desktop within reloaded, I cant run the dos program in windows emulation.
You have mentioned troubleshooting NTVDM what is this and how do I go about doing the troubleshooting. I am using XP Pro SP3 on both computers.
regards eric

Reply 735 of 2280, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

NTVDM is the emulator built into Windows that allows DOS programs to work in Windows (What you are incorrecttly calling "Windows Emulation"), it's also not worth troubleshooting which is why we have DOSBox.

As for why it's not working that's beyond the scope of this thread so you should create a new thread with alot more information about the problem.

Reply 736 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Alexander, ...

---
I have 208 lines of games, inside my D-Fend Reloaded installation, ... = Maybe after > 199 lines of games, it can made scrollbar bug(s) and empty lines bug(s), ...

Also, the video-mode, is "1366x768"
-
I have just found, bug(s), inside your D-Fend Reloaded 0.7 final, ...

= See the file attached, ...

1) A mysterious line, that contain nothing inside.

2) The lower section, dont show text(s).

---

Sylvain St-Amand (sst)

Attachments

• Filename
    Some bugs.jpg
    File size
    43.4 KiB
    Downloads
    184 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 737 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ...

On a test machine = Windows XP sp3, nvidia video card, ... [nvidia geforce 6200]

I found that =

In Windows XP SP3, = i dont have video-resolution-mode below 640x480. (WindowsXP|ControlPanel|Display section|List video mode, show video mode of 640x480 60hz 75 hz, 800x600 60 hz 75 hz, and others upper video mode, ...)

It mean, that "i cant set full screen 320x200" in Windows XP, and also inside dosbox full screen, the mode 320x200 dont work correctly.

-

My lcd screen 17 inch, 3:4, = when i set in DosBox Fullscreen mode, it show [in my on-screen menu of my lcd monitor setup section= 640x480 60hz.]

---
The windowed mode inside dosbox, work correctly.

Did it is "windows xp" and/or "video card" and/or dosbox" ???
---

Sylvain St-Amand (sst)

Attachments

• VideoModeList.jpg
    Filename
    VideoModeList.jpg
    File size
    23.02 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 739 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ...

Try 320x240 in DOSbox for fullscreen. This one is proper 4:3 ratio. Or try turning 'Keep correct aspect ratio' off.

Ok, ... it work with 320x240. = Thanks, ...

(But [Keep correct aspect ratio] must be "on") to work correctly.

-----

Alexander = Please add [the resolution mode 320x240 in the list], ...
-
Also, ...

Please add [in "Edit Multiple profile] = "Glide", "Gilde", Chipset", "size of video ram"].
-
Also, ... Pixel Shader seem only have the "none" option, ... Then what is the others options selectable.

---

Sylvain St-Amand (sst)