VOGONS

Common searches

D-Fend Reloaded (DOSBox frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 760 of 2280, by Anonymous MOS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's what I was thinking. I think it would probably push the popularity of DFR and hopefully involve more people in the DOS community. It would be great!

Reply 761 of 2280, by mandark0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i guess, this is a bit OT here, but i've made icons for all 131 games in my current collection. they are mostly edited from cover-scans of the game-boxes. every single icon-file includes the icon in several size/color-combinations up to 256x256px RGB.

in case anybody is interested:
i've uploaded them on megaupload here, and i've attached a list of games to this post, for which icons are included in the package.

it works great with the current DFR-version. version 0.7.0 has a hidden setting, where you can set the size of the icons in the icons-view. you have to put "ActivateIncompleteFeatures=1" in the "[ProgramSets]"-section of the "DFend.ini"-file. then you can set the icon size in the program settings under "User interface > Games list > List in icons mode". i'd set it to 128 at least, because the icons are not very readable with lower sizes. you can set it to 256 to admire them in all their magnificence. 😁

another neat feature of DFR:
you can create a shortcut of a selected game, or of multiple games, and automatically make the shortcuts use the icons associated to the games in DFR.

Attachments

• Filename
    DosGamesIconsList.txt
    File size
    3.23 KiB
    Downloads
    178 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 763 of 2280, by mandark0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ranthalion75 wrote:

😲 They're freaking AWESOME!!!! Thanks!

thanks! you're very welcome! 😁

there is a new thread regarding games-icons over at the "milliways"-subforum here. the thread-starter posted some links too.

i've also posted my stuff there.

i suggest we continue icons-related talk there, and leave this thread here to DFR again. 😀

Reply 765 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi mandark0,

very nice icon collection. I will use them on my personal games base. But bundling icons made from cover scans (from corvers owned by the game publishers) with DFR sounds a bit problematic for me. DFR is strictly open source and the license for the icons is at least not completely clear. But if you make some official icons download page I will probabily like to it.

And now to an even more interessting thing: Guess what I'm just uploading to Sourceforge...

Reply 766 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And here we are:
D-Fend Reloaded 0.8 beta 1 is now available on the beta download page. It comes with full DOSBox 0.73 support and brings some useful improvements for detecting and importing games.

Reply 767 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ...

D-Fend Reloaded 0.8 beta 1, in PortableApps package.

1) Default dosbox installation, display year "2007", then it must be year "2009".

See file attached, ...

---------------------------
Sylvain St-Amand (sst)

Attachments

Reply 768 of 2280, by guybrush_threepwood

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there, I was known as burnsflipper, I did the original logo and splash page for the d-fend application when working with the original developer, Im happy that it is getting along so well, I thought I might share this, I did a dock icon in png format, that also can be used it as icon for the application if you guys like it

thanks and keep up the good work!

Attachments

• dfend.png
    Filename
    dfend.png
    File size
    145.36 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • dfend2.png
    Filename
    dfend2.png
    File size
    138.12 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 770 of 2280, by mandark0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Alexander wrote:

Hi mandark0,

very nice icon collection. I will use them on my personal games base. But bundling icons made from cover scans (from corvers owned by the game publishers) with DFR sounds a bit problematic for me. DFR is strictly open source and the license for the icons is at least not completely clear. But if you make some official icons download page I will probabily like to it.

hi alexander!

im glad you find them useful! 😁

regarding an icon-download-page: i was also thinking about the questionable legal status of the icons, so i dont think i'll make any official website.

on the other hand, many websites with cover-scans already exist (e.g. mobygames.com), and it seems they dont have any legal problems. 😕

Reply 772 of 2280, by mandark0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wd wrote:

and it seems they dont have any legal problems.

Says who?

on mobygames.com they address this topic in the FAQ here. they refer to the "Fair Use" agreement in US law, by which usage of material...

"...for purposes such as criticism, comment,...or research, is not an infringement of copyright."

i guess this could be seen as the case with mobygames.com, since its a game-database, that can be widely considered a "research project".

but i guess an "icon-database" with icons derived from copyrighted material (e.g. edited from images from the game or cover) wouldnt fall under this. 😐

Reply 773 of 2280, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

but i guess an "icon-database" with icons derived from copyrighted material (e.g. edited from images from the game or cover) wouldnt fall under this.

Feel free to discuss that in-depth with your favourite lawyer.

Reply 774 of 2280, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
wd wrote:

and it seems they dont have any legal problems.

Says who?

Don't you think we would have heard if they have legal problems?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 775 of 2280, by Anonymous MOS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have one or two requests for the new DFR, Alexander. 😊

Is it possible to enable pasting on the Notes section of the profiles?
Right now I have to use CTRL-V to paste info or game reviews there.

Then maybe set the interface up to show the Notes as a tab at the bottom of the screen, like Screenshots, Sounds, Videos and the Data Folder?

Thanks!

Reply 776 of 2280, by Narmy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When setting the icons size to 64 in D-Fend 7.0 the program icons are pixelated like they were just resized from 32x32. Is there a way to make the look clear like their desktop shortcuts? I'm trying to archive all my windows and dos games in D-Fend for easy access and organization.

I tried it in the 7.9 beta 1, but they were just blurry. Again like they had been resized, but this time with a weird smoothing effect. The only icons that really works are .ico files, but most windows games just integrate the icon data into the game .exe.

Pic:http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/2250/dfend.jpg

Reply 777 of 2280, by mandark0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Narmy wrote:

When setting the icons size to 64 in D-Fend 7.0 the program icons are pixelated like they were just resized from 32x32. Is there a way to make the look clear like their desktop shortcuts? I'm trying to archive all my windows and dos games in D-Fend for easy access and organization.

I tried it in the 7.9 beta 1, but they were just blurry. Again like they had been resized, but this time with a weird smoothing effect. The only icons that really works are .ico files, but most windows games just integrate the icon data into the game .exe.

Pic:http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/2250/dfend.jpg

i can confirm both problems:

1. in DFR v. 0.7.0 icons, that are smaller then the current icon-size-setting are scaled up rather nicely (e.g. the default "disk.gif" icon in the modern iconset). but in DFR v. 0.8.0beta1, they are very blurry.
(see attached screens).

2. a windows EXE-file can contain an icon in many resolution-color-combinations, just like an ICO-file. but DFR always seems to take the 32x32 variant and scale it up to the current icon-size-setting in DFR (e.g. 128px or 256px), even if the icon is available at a better quality inside the EXE-file, resulting in a much lower quality then possible.
in short: DFR should handle an icon from a windows-EXE-file the same way as from an ICO-file.

Attachments

• DFR070_diskicon.jpg
    Filename
    DFR070_diskicon.jpg
    File size
    21.72 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Upscaled Icon in DFR v0.7.0
    File license
  • DFR080b1_diskicon.jpg
    Filename
    DFR080b1_diskicon.jpg
    File size
    22.7 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Upscaled Icon in DFR v0.8.0beta1
    File license

Reply 778 of 2280, by Darklord42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just a note for the beta version. In DB 0.73 the highest sample rate for all emulated sound cards is 49716 not 50000. Thankfully you make it easy to change that in the settings but you should make it default in the future.