D-Fend Reloaded (DOSBox frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 1300 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As I have already written in PM:
If you create an empty file named D-Fend-Reloaded-Log.txt on your desktop, D-Fend Reloaded will log the start-up process in this file. If no file with this name exists on the desktop, logging is off.

Reply 1301 of 2280, by Schloss Ritter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow, I don't know how I missed that. Sorry.

It did nothing. Isn't the path to "Desktop" different in XP as it is in Vista and other versions of Windows for that matter? Path in XP is
C:\Documents and Settings\[my name]\Desktop
or
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop

Maybe it would be better if the log file was in the D-Fend program folder?

Reply 1302 of 2280, by tymime

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Been using Dapplegrey on my Mac for some time now, but it was just too frustrating, so I switched back to D-Fend via VMWare.

Can anyone tell me why D-Fend keeps making empty folders with names like "game title" or "game title1" every time I start them up, and how to make it quit doing that?

Reply 1303 of 2280, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tymime wrote:

Been using Dapplegrey on my Mac for some time now, but it was just too frustrating, so I switched back to D-Fend via VMWare.

Better idea to use a PC application to set DOSBox settings, because of the same platform. Another platform like Mac can't handle PC settings properly. 😉

Klimawandel.

Reply 1304 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Schloss Ritter:
The start-up logging function is not meant for regular use. That's why I have chosen the desktop folder and not the program data folder (C:\users\you\D-Fend Reloaded). Using the program folder (C:\Program files\D-Fend Reloaded) is no good idea at all because this folder is not writeable for programs not running with admin privileges in Windows Vista and 7. The desktop folder is just the background of your screen or the most top folder in the directory tree in your Explorer. Just add an empty file called D-Fend-Reloaded-Log.txt here to activate start-up logging. If there are no lines written to this file when trying to start D-Fend Reloaded, something is preventing Windows to start the D-Fend Reloaded exe file at all.

@tymime:
If you have set up a screenshots or a data folder for a profile to be started, this folders are created when starting the profile or when dragging file to the data folder section at the bottom of the D-Fend Reloaded program window. If you do not want this to happen, you can remove the screenshots and the data folder entries on the "Directories" page of the profile editor.

Reply 1305 of 2280, by tymime

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Alexander wrote:

@tymime:
If you have set up a screenshots or a data folder for a profile to be started, this folders are created when starting the profile or when dragging file to the data folder section at the bottom of the D-Fend Reloaded program window. If you do not want this to happen, you can remove the screenshots and the data folder entries on the "Directories" page of the profile editor.

Thanks- it actually stopped doing it on its own, and I'm not sure what I did to make it do that. Probably best if I left the settings alone...

Reply 1306 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have just uploaded a second release candidate of D-Fend Reloaded 1.0.1. If everything is fine with this version, I will release 1.0.1 very soon.

Reply 1307 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ... Alexander

I use your = D-Fend Reloaded, "v1.0.1rc2", D-Fend Reloaded PortableApps package".

Probably a bug, ...

When a game and/or software, have the main file updated, and it's in the "Packages manager | Games tab", section it whant to re-install.

Ex: when i run "Unreal 1.1 demo", it save the configuration inside the "UNREAL.EXE" main file. After, D-Fend Reloaded think that "Unreal 1.1 demo" it's not the same program and version, if i try to replay the demo, it ask for = "The checksum of [UNREAL.EXE] does not match with the checksum stored in this profile". If i press the Yes button, it will play the demo, but ask again the checksum. But if i press the Yes button, and go to Packages manager | Games, section it display the Unreal 1.1 demo. See screenshot.

Also, inside Packages manager | Games tab, it ask to re-download the "Unreal 1.1 package" every time the file "UNREAL.EXE" is changed. After, if i re-download the "Unreal 1.1 package", it made inside "capture, gamedata, VirtualHD" = "Unreal 1.1" , "Unreal 1.11", etc., after each installation of "Unreal 1.1 package".

See file attached, ...

Please verify at your side, ...

Attachments

• Filename
    Checksum error.jpg
    File size
    124.99 KiB
    Downloads
    151 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    ThatDemoWhantToBeReInstalled.jpg
    File size
    214.7 KiB
    Downloads
    148 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1308 of 2280, by Schloss Ritter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to have wasted your time with what is apparently a problem with my system, Alexander. I still cannot for the life of me figure out what happened to my system since the last time I successfully ran DFend Reloaded. And since I didn't get any system disc with the used PC, I can't even repair Windows if that's the problem...

Maybe I'll keep trying different things and let you know if I ever figure it out.

Reply 1309 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@sst:
If an exe file stores the configuration in itself and therefore changes itself, you can turn off the crc check feature for this profile at any time (see third button in Checksum error.jpg).

The packages manager also identifies games/program by their exe crc checksum. This is the best way because using an exe checkum also games not installed via the package manager can be identified and not offered for download in the package manager. If an exe file changes itself this is bad luck. I won't introduce some hidden package download history data base which also would have to be linked to the game directory (so the game/demo etc. will be offered again if the directory is deleted) just to not show an already downloaded package for a demo using some uncommon and dirty tricks for storing its configuration.

If I do not use the crc of the game exe file to identify programs, what else could I use? The D-Fend Reloaded games directory is not a closed system. Files can be copied to this directory using the Explorer at anytime. There is no central data base telling which programs is in which directory.

Reply 1310 of 2280, by Allan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, ... Alexander
I would like to submit my wish list. I'm a graphic designer and have been waiting for the chance to create some skins for D-fend.

1. When a background image is selected for the game list, remove the white borders around the game screenshots
2. When using a background image, allow the background image to scroll.
3. Fix an issue when scrolling the game list, the redraw of the screenshots creates a flickering
4. Add option to set the spacing between screenshots, in game list mode.

Reply 1311 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi Allan,

sorry, but I think I cannot fulfill your wishes:

I'm using the TListView control for displaying to games list. This is a wrapper for the Windows list view common control. The TListView control does not support transparency (internally all images are bmp images). Because all images in screenshots mode have to have the same size, there is no way to have individual sizes without this borders. Also I cannot set up the spacing between the images and the scroll/noscroll mode for the background image.

The games list sometimes flickers a bit when scrolling because it's running in DoubleBuffered:=false mode. Activating double buffering for the games list causes problems with the tooltips.

Reply 1313 of 2280, by Anonymous MOS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Alexander,

Is it possible to add the capability of changing the view type on the Data Folder? I have PDF manuals in gamedata folders and would like to be able to see the thumbnails of the manuals.

Thanks!
Steve

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Windows 11 Home, 64-bit

Reply 1314 of 2280, by skatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, Alexander!
When creating hard disk image from main menu I always get an access violation.
In function DiskImageCreatorUpgradeHD you always check variable CopyFolders, even when it is nil.

Reply 1315 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ... Alexander

I use your = D-Fend Reloaded, "v1.0.1rc2", D-Fend Reloaded PortableApps package".

If an exe file stores the configuration in itself and therefore changes itself, you can turn off the crc check feature for this profile at any time (see third button in Checksum error.jpg).

Thanks i will try the "third button in the Checksum section".

Reply 1316 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ... Alexander

Download Packages Failed, Inside =
D-Fend Reloaded, "v1.0.1rc2", D-Fend Reloaded PortableApps package".
D-Fend Reloaded, "v1.0.0", D-Fend Reloaded PortableApps package".
See screenshot

The real download link =
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/dfendreloade … emoPackage1.exe

P.s. i can download packages, from the website. =
http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/Download.html

Please verify, at your side.

Attachments

Reply 1317 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Ranthalion75:
Changing the view type of the data folder does not mean there will be thumbnails for the files in the folder. Some applications are adding Explorer helper dlls allowing the Windows Explorer to generate thumbnails for some file types. As long as I do not get dlls for getting thumbnails from pdfs and other files, I cannot display any preview images.

@skatz:
Confirmed and fixed.

@sst:
I can confirm this problem and it also occurs on the other packages. It really took me hours even to find out what is happening here. This was very complicated to be solved but finally I got it: First, Sourceforge is doing multiple redirections before DFR is getting to the real URL of the file to be downloaded. While doing this, Sourceforge is also trying to set cookies etc. While going from one web server to another each server uses some other time/date format and one of them cannot be handled by the HTTP component I'm using. It produces an exception and terminates. Because I don't have the source code of this component I cannot fix this - at least not directly. But luckily with some really dark magic I have managed to replace the buggy date/time interpreter function by a fixed one at runtime. (I'm already doing this to get localized modifier key names like Ctrl, Shift etc. in the menu since many DFR versions.) But sadly this did not solve the problem. Now I'm getting up to the "Your D-Fend Reloaded download will start shortly..." page and that's it. Looking at this page, I found out why the download did not start here: It's triggered via some Javascript on this page. If you try to download on of the packages right from the DFR homepage and you have turned off Javascript your download will not start from within the browser, too. So in this case I'm looking for the URL connected to the "[If the download does not start] please use this direct link" link and going to download this.

@robertmo:
Thank you for your bug reports from PM. I have already fixed the first one (pixel shader option out of dialog border). 2&3 (DOSBox translation editor related things) are still on my todo.

Reply 1318 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Because there have been some bigger changes to the multi games package download system (see post above) and to the DOSBox language editor, I have decided to make a third release candidate of 1.0.1. If everything is fine with rc3, I will release 1.0.1final beginning of next week.

Reply 1319 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ... Alexander

I use your = D-Fend Reloaded, "v1.0.1rc3", D-Fend Reloaded PortableApps package".

I have just found that = I have found a "several number of time displayed progressbar bug."

Click "Menu | Extras | Check profiles for not existing files". While the progressbar is displayed, go to the section, "Menu | Files | Import | Download Packages". After you will see two progress bar.

If you repeat step again, you will see an added progress bar (like the screenshot attached, there are 3 progressbar), and one added progressbar eachtime you repeat step upper.

See file attached, ...

Please verify at your side.

Last edited by sst on 2010-09-01, 18:15. Edited 1 time in total.