Topic actions

Reply 1340 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good evening everybody,

@sst:
Of course I'll upload 1.0.2rc1 to the beta download page as soon as it done. But at the moment it's just not yet finished.

@leileilol:
Scanning archives for file_id.diz files is an interesting idea. But automatic guessing titles from file_id.diz probably won't be doable because there is no default file_id.diz file format. But for example the file_id.diz file could be shown in the "Enter name for new game" dialog to make things easier for the user. I will think about this for version 1.1.

One annoying thing is "install only" archives that are Windows-based. The check happens AFTER the request to install so that means more clicking to cancel.

I do not understand your problem exactly. Self-extracting archive files are an ugly thing at all. If you drag some (Windows-based) self-extracting archive to the DFR program window, it thinks you want to add it as a Windows game. Because a Windows-based self-extracting archive is a Windows program file there is nothing I can do to improve this.

@Powzone:
To get some more information what is going wrong, you can create an empty file named D-Fend-Reloaded-Log.txt on your desktop. D-Fend Reloaded then will log the start-up process in this file.

Reply 1341 of 2280, by Powzone

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Checked it out, but it doesn't work! 🙁 Made a standard .TXT file on the Desktop and renamed it to "D-Fend-Reloaded-Log.txt". Started dfend.exe but nothing was written in there. Copied the file into the dfend folder and started again, but again nothing was written to it. Some other idea? ...still using the PApps version. Just for case, that it works different... 😉

EDIT: Tried the .ZIP package from your site, but I got the same error and the logfile remains empty! Also tried the 1.0.0 that I know it worked before.

Reply 1342 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ... Powzone

What is your Windows version ?

1) Did you have installed the "Normal version" and the "Portable version", on the same computer ?

Then you can try that =

Rename the directory = C:\Users\ [user name] \D-Fend Reloaded

to = C:\Users\ [user name] \OLD D-Fend Reloaded

[user name] is your username inside windows.

2) You maybe have a database file garbaged.

Please delete "Cache.dfr" inside your =

D-FendReloadedPortable\App\Confs \ Cache.dfr

3) Also try to made a completly new "Confs" directory.

Just rename te directory "Confs" to "OldConfs"

D-FendReloadedPortable\App\Confs

to = D-FendReloadedPortable\App\OldConfs

4) Also what is the error messages ? Also is it display in text or a blue screen ?

Reply 1343 of 2280, by Powzone

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got WinXP SP3.
I have installed the portale version only. 😉
The older version I tried were the zipped ones. So no standard installed versions were used.

I deleted the cache.dfr and tried. Nope... I renamed the Confs like described and nothing changed.

Reply 1344 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ... Powzone

The older version I tried were the zipped ones.

Respond = The only 100% portable version, is the "D-Fend-Reloaded-1.0.1-Portable.paf.exe" version. Not the zipped ones.

Then now to have a 100% D-Fend-Reloaded portable version =

1) Download the file

Edit : Link removed by Sylvain St-Amand (sst)

2) After run D-Fend-Reloaded-1.0.1-Portable.paf.exe

3) when the installation wizard, ask for a destination directory

Try =

C:\D-FendReloadedPortable

4) Press install button.

5) After D-FendReloadedPortable have been installed, go to the directory C:\D-FendReloadedPortable, and run the file "D-Fend Reloaded Portable.exe"

6) Then now it must be a working default portable installation.

---

If it dont work in the C:\D-FendReloadedPortable, directory, then it can be a big bug problem on your computer.

---

I hope it help.

Last edited by sst on 2010-10-11, 21:09. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1345 of 2280, by Powzone

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I already tried that, but it didn't work. Is there anything D-Fend needs like .NET or VB-Runtimes or QT or something? At least there's nothing described on the site. Or does it change something in the registry? All I did inbetween was cleaning it.

Reply 1346 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If there are no lines in the log file, the first stage of the start-up process (loading the exe file into memory and starting the main thread) done by Windows already fails. That's strange. (DFR is only looking in the desktop folder for the debugging log file, not in the program folder.)

The Portable Apps version of D-Fend Reloaded is just the portable zip version packed together with the Portable Apps launcher. (And the portable zip package is just an installation made with the normal installer in "portable mode" packed into a zip file.)

As sst already said, you can try to delete the profile cache files in the confs, the templates the AutoSetup folders or even rename this folders to prevent loading any profiles at start up. But if a plain portable installation to some other folder also fails it looks like something other is wrong. Because loading the profiles is not the first thing logged in the log file, there should be at least some lines in the log file.

DFR does not need any special environment. It should run under plain Win95 up to Win7. (I'm using it under XP and Vista.) There are only two functions writing to the registry: If you select "Start D-Fend Reloaded with Windows" in the setup dialog an autostart registry key is created and if you select a language to be used by exe installer packages in the setup dialog the language ID of the language to be used is written to the registry. That's it. If you just start D-Fend Reloaded it's not writing anything to the registry. (For completeness: If you install DFR via the installer and not do a portable installation, the installation folder - for the Windows function Control|Software|Uninstall software - and the language ID of the language selected during installation is written to the registry.)

Even so DFR is just using normal Windows API functions for creating windows and dialogs some programs changing the look&feel of XP or Vista to Win7 are reported to produce problems with DFR.

Reply 1347 of 2280, by Powzone

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Never ever change the size of the titlebar buttons below 18!!

When you said:

Even so DFR is just using normal Windows API functions for creating windows and dialogs some programs changing the look&feel of XP or Vista to Win7 are reported to produce problems with DFR.

...I remembered that I changed the color scheme and changed some sizes without using any external program on my XP. After setting the titlebar buttons back to 18 it works flawless again! Thaks alot for the help! 😁 [/quote]

Reply 1348 of 2280, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Alexander wrote:

I do not understand your problem exactly. Self-extracting archive files are an ugly thing at all. If you drag some (Windows-based) self-extracting archive to the DFR program window, it thinks you want to add it as a Windows game. Because a Windows-based self-extracting archive is a Windows program file there is nothing I can do to improve this.

What I meant was the usual Windows-based SETUP.EXE files inside ZIP files. The installers themselves aren't always self-extracting.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 1349 of 2280, by dosmax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@dosmax:
Understanding this problem was a bit tricky but now I think I have fixed it. The problem was in portable mode DFR is using two different ways of making folder names relative. The base capture folder name is always stored relative (to the base folder configured a few lines above). When closing DFR it is not made relative a second time because it already starts with (".\"). When starting DFR again it is made absolute by using the program folder as "." and then a second time by using the base directory (which will just do nothing because the folder already starts with "X:\"). Because I want to release 1.0.1final real soon I do not want to make a big rc4 release, but here is some little DFend.exe replacement which should fix the problem: DFend.exe If this version is fine for you, I will release 1.0.1final the next days.

Sorry for coming back so late, I haven't checked vogons for quite a while. Still here is my short feedback: everything is working fine in 1.01. Thanks!

Reply 1350 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have just uploaded D-Fend Reloaded 1.0.2rc1 to the usual beta versions page. If everything is fine with rc1, I will release D-Fend Reloaded 1.0.2 next week. As soon as 1.0.2 is out, I will start working on version 1.1 so we can have at least a first beta of 1.1 this year.

Reply 1351 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ... Alexander

I use your = D-Fend Reloaded, "1.0.2rc1", D-Fend Reloaded PortableApps package".

French , French Canada , French Quebec = Translation updated

See file attached

Attachments

• Filename
    French.ini
    File size
    130.54 KiB
    Downloads
    212 downloads
    File comment
    French Translation
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    French Canada.ini
    File size
    130.5 KiB
    Downloads
    249 downloads
    File comment
    French Canada , French Quebec Translation
    File license

Reply 1352 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ... Alexander

I use your = D-Fend Reloaded, "1.0.2rc1", D-Fend Reloaded PortableApps package".

Second Reality = Missing Icon

See file attached

Second Reality demo, is downloaded inside "Packages manager | Games" tab.

Attachments

• MissingIcon.jpg
    Filename
    MissingIcon.jpg
    File size
    27.14 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Second Reality = Missing Icon
    File license

Reply 1354 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi sst,

thank you for your updated language files.

The auto setup template for Second Reality defines an icon for the profile. The big demos package from the D-Fend Reloaded homepage also contains this icon so every thing is fine when using this package. When downloading Second Reality via the package manager a zip file is downloaded from scene.org. This zip file is a plain zip file just containing Second Reality without any DFR profile file or any icon. Because DFR detects by an exe checksum the zip file contains Second Reality it applies the Second Reality auto setup template - which has the icon record. D-Fend Reloaded 1.0.2 in this case will check if the icon file exists and remove the icon entry if not.

The MaxVersion key in the language files defines the maximum version of D-Fend Reloaded for which the language file can be used. If you selected a language file with a lower MaxVersion value than 1.0.2 in DFR 1.0.2 the language dialog will show a "Language file is outdated" warning. Because I do not change language strings in the service releases, the language files for 1.0.0, 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 are identically, only the MaxVersion key is increased. Even more when downloading a language file via the package manager DFR will automatically change the MaxVersion values third number to the current minor version number. (For example when downloading a language file with MaxVersion=1.0.0 from within DFR 1.0.1 the file will appear on the hard disk with a MaxVersion value of 1.0.1.)

I have just done the last fixes and updates. I'm just preparing the release of 1.0.2 now.

Reply 1356 of 2280, by Anonymous MOS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Alexander!

I have yet another request from the Facebook fan page. 😉 This one is from Sinan Awad in response to the new version 1.1 Beta1.

"Any chance of hooking it to a site like mobygames so it gets the correct template automatically when I load the zip file? 😉 (Add it to the wishlist)... Thanks for a great piece of software.."

Not sure why he'd need that.
Anyway, Thanks Alexander! 😀

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Windows 11 Home, 64-bit

Reply 1358 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi Ranthalion75,

I do not understand this request completely: DFR is not loading templates from mobygames. There are no DFR templates on mobygames. When adding a new game from an archive file DFR is looking in its AutoSetup folder for a matching template file. Only game meta information are available on mobygames and can be loaded from there.

Reply 1359 of 2280, by Anonymous MOS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I'm not sure what he's talking about either. I've asked him what exactly his problem is.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Windows 11 Home, 64-bit