Common searches

D-Fend Reloaded (DOSBox frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 1520 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ...

I use = D-Fend Reloaded, "v1.2b1", Portable structure.

@Alexander

I have found a not setting changed in all profiles, inside "Edit multiple Profiles | Graphics | VideoRAM (in KB)". I try 8192 16384 512 2048, ...

P.S. i have added in the "Program options | Profile Editor | Default Value" menu, VideoRAM (in KB) = 16384.

Not fixed, ... still keep the old value in each profile.

Reply 1521 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
  • Corrected posting: 1.2b1, of course not 1.2b2.
  • Will add the French files to the PortableApps package.
  • Video RAM should work, but will check this again.

Reply 1522 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ...

I use = D-Fend Reloaded, "v1.2b1", Portable structure.

@Alexander

Video RAM should work, but will check this again.

Respond:

D-Fend Reloaded, "v1.2b1", Portable version.

Please try with the portable apps version, i can confirm, the bug even inside a clean install of the portable apps "v1.2b1".

See file included, ...

Attachments

Reply 1523 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have checked today: The video RAM option in the multiple profiles editor in 1.2b1 is working. If you want to use a larger value than 8192 kb you will have to edit the default values list in the program options dialog.

Reply 1524 of 2280, by dosmax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Two short questions:

1. Is there anything special I have to do to activate the non-modal image viewer? For me it behaves like before. The main window is blocked while an image is displayed. Trying to change the according preferences checkbox doesn't work for me either. It always stays unchecked after closing/opening the preferences dialog.

2. I can't find a menu entry to globally override profile settings. Somehow I was under the impression that you wanted to implement this (text based). But maybe I was mistaken in this regard.

Otherwise I couldn't find any errors so far. Seems to work fine.

Might be worth mentioning that I used the update installer.

Reply 1525 of 2280, by dosmax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some more feedback:

1. multiple internet addresses work exactly as advertised. 😀

2. the reworked Additional Program Files dialog seems somewhat quirky.

When opening the dialog in a profile that already has additional program files, the first entry ist put into the column description fields of the dialogs grid control (see "shot1.jpg").

When adding an additional program to a profile that doesn't have one, something else happens: you end up with two entrys: one (non functional) with the column name ("Beschreibung") and the correct one (see "shot2.jpg").

Looks like an "index 0->1 glitch" while writing and reading the grid.

Specifying parameters seems to be gltichy too. For testing I tried a windows game profile with notepad as additional program and an existing file as parameter (see "shot3.jpg"). Notepad opens fine, but with an empty document. Seems like the filename is ignored.

Attachments

• shot3.jpg
    Filename
    shot3.jpg
    File size
    79.69 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • shot2.jpg
    Filename
    shot2.jpg
    File size
    107.01 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • shot1.jpg
    Filename
    shot1.jpg
    File size
    80.24 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1526 of 2280, by dosmax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ahh, and btw.: What happened to my archiving for Windows games wish?

Was that axed? That one especially would be really, really nice to have. In the meantime I managed to get about 50 Windows games, (all I tried so far) running without the need to be reinstalled when moved to another machine. So automatically archiving these like the DOS-games with their according D-Fend profiles, manuals, CD images etc. would be really great.

Just in case: sorry for bothering 😉 , if I do. I really don't want to push you, D-Fend is a great tool, with or without my special wishes getting implemented!

Reply 1527 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi dosmax,

1. Non modal image previewer: Program settings -> External programs -> Media viewers -> "Show internal image viewer as modal window"=off

2. Global DOSBox settings: Program settings -> DOSBox -> More settings for this DOSBOX installation -> Custom settings

3. The extra program files dialog is a bit broken in 1.2b1. Will be fixed in 1.2b2.

4. On DOSBox profiles the parameters for extra program files are working fine - for Windows profiles I forgot to implement this. Will be fixed in 1.2b2.

5. Transfering Windows based programs can cause many problems but anyway I will add some functions to support this in 1.2b2. For security reason this will be turned off by default and you will have to enable support for making archive files from Windows profiles and importing Windows profiles in the setup dialog (External programs -> Windows games).

Reply 1528 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ...

@alexander

VideoRam option, inside a profile.

It even do that , inside Windows XP Pro x86 English (Virtual Machine).

I have send you a, private message, that contain a link, to download, a strictminimum download. In example = VectorDemo have problem with VideoRam option.

You will see that it is still 2048, even if you change in edit multiples profiles, and select 8192.

Reply 1530 of 2280, by dosmax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Alexander wrote:

1. Non modal image previewer: Program settings -> External programs -> Media viewers -> "Show internal image viewer as modal window"=off

Doesn't work for me. Neither with an updated version from D-Fend 1.1 nor with a fresh version (I tried the full zip version without installer to test this). In both cases, like described above, the checkbox always stays unchecked after closing/opening the settings dialog, regardless of the state I set it to. And, what's worse, the main window is still locked while viewing an image. Maybe I have more luck with the next beta. 😉

Alexander wrote:

2. Global DOSBox settings: Program settings -> DOSBox -> More settings for this DOSBOX installation -> Custom settings

Thanks. A little bit harder to reach than I had hoped for. But on the other hand with different settings for different Dosbox versions. So all in all, even better than what I had in mind 😀

Alexander wrote:

5. Transfering Windows based programs can cause many problems but anyway I will add some functions to support this in 1.2b2. For security reason this will be turned off by default and you will have to enable support for making archive files from Windows profiles and importing Windows profiles in the setup dialog (External programs -> Windows games).

That's great. I know that there are many possible sources of error with simply copying Windows games. But I take great care to catch them all. In fact, I install the games in a virtual machine, record any registry changes, dll additions to system folders etc. Then I copy them over to the real machine, and, if needed, create .reg files for the registry changes and so on. So at least my Windows games are definitely fully archivable with D-Fend.

But you're right. Not everybody will take such care to ensure this is working. So leaving this off by default seems like a good idea to me.

If that is not too much work, please add an option to include external files and directories like it's possible with DOS games. That would be a great help to catch really everything in one archive, including CD-images and such.

Reply 1531 of 2280, by dosmax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just found the problem regarding the image viewer. the non-modal viewer collides with the "Allow only one running instance" setting.

It's either "Allow only one running instance" or the non-modal image viewer, both together aren't working. Which makes somewhat sense, assuming you implemented the non-modal viewer as second D-Fend process.

So, I guess, this isn't really a bug but more or less by design.

Maybe you should add a small hint to the settings dialog about this, it's a little bit confusing.

Reply 1532 of 2280, by dosmax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Another (supposedly small) glitch regarding the image viewer. Sorry! 😉

Even with "Allow only one running instance" set to off, the image viewer is non-modal only when called from the screenshots tab. If I open an image from a games data folder (that's where I collect maps and such) it's still always modal and blocks the main window.

Reply 1533 of 2280, by dosmax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just a little follow uo on the "Allow only one running instance" thing.

After some more testing, I would say it's the "Allow only one running instance" checkbox that controls the image viewer mode. Although I'm not really sure. Maybe something goes wrong while reading in the settings?

What is sure, is that the image viewer is somehow connected the the "Allow only one running instance" setting. Most likely it will be relatively easy for you to find out how. At least much more easy than it is foe me. 😉

Reply 1535 of 2280, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

@Alexander = Please send me that "hidden feature parameter text" line, in a private message, ...

Why don't you send him a PM?

Oh yeah and that secret option is incompatible with DOSBox's hidden speed boost option.

Reply 1536 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ...

Why don't you send him a PM?

Respond = Please excuse me, ... I have send to Alexander a pm.

It's not secret(s) feature(s), it's only to enable feature(s), that Alexander have programmed and/or made for newer version.

Reply 1537 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@dosmax:
The cause for the non-modal image viewer problem was mach easier. On opening the dialog this happend:

ModalImageViewerCheckBox.Checked:=PrgSetup.NonModalViewer;

and on dialog close this:

PrgSetup.NonModalViewer:=not ModalImageViewerCheckBox.Checked;

That couldn't work. After adding a "not" in the dialog open code everything should be fine now. For beta1 this means: If you set up the image viewer to work non-modal, the correct value will be stored and the image viewer will work non-modal. But if you open the setup dialog again, the checkbox will show the wrong mode and if you close the dialog again, the wrong mode will be stored in the setup.

Storing additional directories for being transfered with the profile in Windows profiles just like in DOSBox profiles should be doable.

@sst:
For the last time: For me it's working (also in 1.2b1) but anyway wait for the next beta and check again then. And no, you really do not need to PM a copy of each of your forum messages to me.

There are no hidding features in the beta releases. I'm only using this config switch when adding features between beta 2 and the final release because on beta 2 the language strings are getting frozen and therefore no official features can be added between the last beta release and the final release.

Reply 1538 of 2280, by dosmax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, well. That perfectly explains the setup checkbox behavior.

But the other things? Hard to tell without trying, but I'm unsure. If you find the time, maybe you could try the following:

1. Is the non-modal viewer working for you with "Allow only one running instance" enabled. For me it's definitely not. Although that might be linked to the bug you already fixed.

2. Is the non-modal viewer working for you when you open an image from the Data folder tab instead of the Screenshots tab. Again, for me it's not. This one I can't hardly imagine to be linked to the setup dialog, since it is always the same. Without opening or closing the setup dialog.

As always, both glitches might pretty well be caused by something that's happening only on my rig, but as a thorough betatester I feel obligated to report them (even twice 😉 ).

Reply 1539 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1. The "Allow only one instance" function is just checking on program start-up if there is already an instance of DFR running. After this check this function is doing nothing so it can't influence the modal/non-modal image viewer operation. What you are experiencing is really just the setup dialog bug in beta1. And this of course will be fixed in beta2.

2. As usually: I forgot to add the non-modal ability in the data viewer and also in the quick start form. Should work in beta2.

Additionally I have made the first run wizard a bit smarter: If it finds 7-zip and/or winzip in it's default locations, it will automatically setup them as pack programs in DFR. If DFR is started from the portable zip file (and not installed via the installer and therefore no language is chosen in the installer) it will try to set up the initial program language from the Windows system language.

For me everything is done now and if no new bugs are found, I will release beta2 as soon as possible.