VOGONS

Common searches

D-Fend Reloaded (DOSBox frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 1920 of 2280, by viritys

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dunno about the other ones, but the line break issue has disappeared <3.
One little annoyance that you might want to take a look at: Mobygames changed their page again, this time causing all game descriptions to start with quite extensive country list;
Buy at
Buy at
Please select your country:
United States
Argentina
Australia
Austria
all the way down to "Worldwide" 😀 I'm not sure how you do it, but maybe starting the reading after the first "Description" within body (<h2 class="m5">Description</h2>) would make a more durable solution?

Btw, talking about metadata - mobygames' release dates include months and, especially in new games, dates. To make matters worse, they seem to sport two formats - "2010-03-16" and "Mar 16, 2010". This causes a looooong list to the year tree structure and especially the latter format breaks sorting in the main window for obvious reasons. This causes the need to manually remove the dates/months from the release information. I suppose stripping the dates/months is not the greatest solution as it might piss some users off - though it does say a "year", not a "date" 😀 The other way would probably be to normalize the date format within D-FR, but that might be too big of a hassle? Editing the dates manually is not too much to ask, really, but losing more precise information just to keep the sorting going is a bit counterproductive.

Oh and all links within the game descriptions fetched from mobygames causes extra line breaks both before and after the link.

So if you have <a href=foo>Bar</a>, it will look like
So if you have
Bar
, it will look like

Reply 1921 of 2280, by Sopoforic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

[Fix] Changing to the game directory is not working on some newer DOSBox CVN version if using PhysFS or archive file based drive mounts.

I confirm that this appears to be working in the release candidate. Thanks for the fix!

Reply 1922 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have rewritten the text extracting code in D-Fend Reloaded 1.3.6rc2 and also updated the moby games reader configuration. Now it will find the real notes area more precise and also tags like links will not result in a line break in the extracted text anymore.

Having some common date format would be fine but because I guess the moby games date field is just text and so there can be nearly everything in this field finding a really useable solution here would be hard. So I would prefer not trying to process this automatically.

If everything is fine with rc2, I will release 1.3.6final soon.

Reply 1923 of 2280, by Sopoforic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Alexander wrote:

Having some common date format would be fine but because I guess the moby games date field is just text and so there can be nearly everything in this field finding a really useable solution here would be hard. So I would prefer not trying to process this automatically.

MobyGames dates aren't free text. However, there is a preference to display them in one of seven formats:

• Mar 28, 2006
  • 03/28/2006
  • 2006-03-28
  • 28-Mar-2006
  • 28/03/2006
  • 28-03-2006

I would think that would only apply if you're logged in, though.

Reply 1924 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Because MobyGames is using different formats and it's also not clear which format the user prefers, I would say trying to find an automatic solution for presenting a common format which satisfies all users would be hard. So I really would like not to try to add new functions here.

Reply 1925 of 2280, by viritys

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Understandable. Here's a feature request: quick rating button! "Mark as favorite" is useful, but I'd also like to differentiate between mediocre and total garbage 😀 I'm visioning clickable 1-5 stars as a new games list column. I know I can create user-defined key, give it a value and add it as a column, but it's too clumsy for this purpose.

Reply 1927 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is a problem of the latest ykhwong's DOSBox build with Windows 8.1 or to be more precise: A problem with the version of Simple Direct Layer (SDL) used by the latest ykhwong's DOSBox build with Windows 8.1. In the last post in the thread you are linking to is mentioned that this problem exists regardless of whether DOSBox is launched via D-Fend Reloaded or directly. (In the other case you could compare the DOSBox.conf file used to start DOSBox via D-Fend Reloaded and the default DOSBox.conf file which is used when starting DOSBox directly.)

Reply 1928 of 2280, by DarkTemplar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
viritys wrote:

Understandable. Here's a feature request: quick rating button! "Mark as favorite" is useful, but I'd also like to differentiate between mediocre and total garbage 😀 I'm visioning clickable 1-5 stars as a new games list column. I know I can create user-defined key, give it a value and add it as a column, but it's too clumsy for this purpose.

I second that

Reply 1929 of 2280, by SedrynTyros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Alexander wrote:

This is a problem of the latest ykhwong's DOSBox build with Windows 8.1 or to be more precise: A problem with the version of Simple Direct Layer (SDL) used by the latest ykhwong's DOSBox build with Windows 8.1. In the last post in the thread you are linking to is mentioned that this problem exists regardless of whether DOSBox is launched via D-Fend Reloaded or directly. (In the other case you could compare the DOSBox.conf file used to start DOSBox via D-Fend Reloaded and the default DOSBox.conf file which is used when starting DOSBox directly.)

I believe I've found the workaround for this issue (described in that thread).

Reply 1930 of 2280, by Happy Prince

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Alexander wrote:

This is a problem of the latest ykhwong's DOSBox build with Windows 8.1

Probably. But since I had the bug only while using D-Fend Reloaded instead of plain ykhwong's build, I beleived it was the cause. It seems I was mistaken.

Alexander wrote:

or to be more precise: A problem with the version of Simple Direct Layer (SDL) used by the latest ykhwong's DOSBox build with Windows 8.1

As far as I can see, it doesn't use any sdl whatsoever.

Alexander wrote:

In the last post in the thread you are linking to is mentioned that this problem exists regardless of whether DOSBox is launched via D-Fend Reloaded or directly.

For other people yes, but, as I have mentioned above, not for me.

Alexander wrote:

(In the other case you could compare the DOSBox.conf file used to start DOSBox via D-Fend Reloaded and the default DOSBox.conf file which is used when starting DOSBox directly.)

That was the first thing i've tried. No luck.

Nevertheless, SedrynTyros's update+registry workaround applied to dosbox.exe did work for me. The problem is indeed in DosBox, not in D-Fend. In my case D-Fend just seems to reveal it.

Reply 1931 of 2280, by SedrynTyros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Happy Prince wrote:

As far as I can see, it doesn't use any sdl whatsoever.

ykhwong's build doesn't use the SDL dynamic libraries but I'm pretty sure SDL is integrated into his dosbox executable as a static library.

Reply 1932 of 2280, by The Relentless

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a fairly large D-Fend Reloaded database of games. I like to display my games in Screenshot view. However, after the 21st item is displayed, the 22nd through to the end items all have the same screenshot, which is whatever is the 22nd item, instead of their specified screenshot. Does that make sense?

In other words, the first 22 items show the correct screenshot as the icon, but from then on the icon is just the 22nd screenshot repeated to the end. The games still run fine, but just don't show the proper screenshot as the icon.

Reply 1933 of 2280, by Alexis78

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello there, this is my first post here in Vogons.

My first language is spanish, so I will have some errors writing.

I have a problem with D Fend Reloaded 1.3.5, in particularly when I edit the games profile, I started having this problem today this morning.

When I enter the Profile Editor (I like to search information about the game in Mobygames), I click in "Program Information" and then click in "Download Information", when D Fend Reloaded got the info, then It show it to me but all seems greyed out, I can´t select the boxes or click Insert button because that, I don´t know what happened, but I have no clue what to do to be like it was before.

I will show You the problem with an image to easily understand what happen:

dfendproblem_zpsb3053416.png

I Am using Windows 7 64 bits Home Premium, with a netobook Asus X54HR, i3, 4 GB RAM, It´s the Default Package Defend Reloaded in my HDD, not the portable.

I have like one hundred or more games with D Fend, some with ISO´s or CD installations, all configured manually ("Add manually..." in the Profile menu) and all was correct until today, I don´t know what happened, I didn´t changed the Options in D Fend if I remember well, maybe the last thing I did was using the update that comes with D Fend, maybe it´s something related to the "Data reader configuration" option in "Search for Updates", in the Help menu.

¿What Should I do?

If someone can help me I will appreciated it, and If You need more information I will give it too, just tell me what You need.

Thanks!

Reply 1936 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@The Relentless:
I have tested screenshots view mode on my large data base and for me its working. You can try to delete the file <DFRBaseFolder>\Settings\ScreenshotsThumbnailCache.dat. Then DFR will rebuild the cache file. Maybe there is something wrong on your installation.

@Alexis78 and Pingaloka:
This has already been discussed above. Mobygames has done some bigger homepage changes I cannot handle by just updating the data reader configuration. DFR 1.3.6 will be able to read the game information from mobygames again. (Until last week everything was fine with DFR 1.3.6rc2 but ... mobygames has changed again. But this time this can be catched again by updating the data reader configuration file. The file attached plus DFR 1.3.6rc2 will be able to read data from mobygames.)

Attachments

• Filename
    DataReader.zip
    File size
    776 Bytes
    Downloads
    142 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1937 of 2280, by The Relentless

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the response. I actually formatted my hard drive and reinstalled windows as my system was acting slow and weird. Though D-Fend is installed on an external HD, and I didn't make any changes after the format, it now seems to work just fine. Not sure what caused it.

Reply 1938 of 2280, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Alexander wrote:
@The Relentless: I have tested screenshots view mode on my large data base and for me its working. You can try to delete the fil […]
Show full quote

@The Relentless:
I have tested screenshots view mode on my large data base and for me its working. You can try to delete the file <DFRBaseFolder>\Settings\ScreenshotsThumbnailCache.dat. Then DFR will rebuild the cache file. Maybe there is something wrong on your installation.

@Alexis78 and Pingaloka:
This has already been discussed above. Mobygames has done some bigger homepage changes I cannot handle by just updating the data reader configuration. DFR 1.3.6 will be able to read the game information from mobygames again. (Until last week everything was fine with DFR 1.3.6rc2 but ... mobygames has changed again. But this time this can be catched again by updating the data reader configuration file. The file attached plus DFR 1.3.6rc2 will be able to read data from mobygames.)

Thanx Alexandre, sorry I missed that part.

Reply 1939 of 2280, by Alexis78

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Alexander for the help!

I managed to get DFR 1.3.6 rc2 update file (D-Fend-Reloaded-1.3.6rc2-UpdateSetup.exe) from the Beta-Versions of DFR, and installed it over my DFR 1.3.5, but as You say I must use the file "DataReader.zip", I downloaded this file too and unzipped in the "NewUserData" folder inside DFR, but It still doesn´t work 😢

At least I know now that is a thing related to Mobygames webpage and not from my DFR, I was worried about that because I thought that I messed something in the Options but as I see I didn´t nothing wrong, all is about Mobygames.

DFR136rc2withdatareader_zpsd0b9c3a2.png