VOGONS

Common searches

D-Fend Reloaded (DOSBox frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 82 of 2280, by J.B.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, done some testing. Great release, love the new style!

Now for a list of issues:

1) In the "edit multiple profiles" tool the checkbox next to "fullscreen resolution" doesn't activate the selection. In fact the selection is linked to the "Favorite" checkbox.

2) One of the default resolutions is 1280x860. I think it should be 1280x960.

3) Console window says something about loading config from temp folder. This is a problem because it makes mt32 emulation fail, as it looks for the rom files in the temp folder instead of in the dosbox folder.
image1bu0.png

4) I got a "no game selected in list" error while I was trying to add new default settings. I don't know exactly what the cause was but it was on the very first start of d-fend, when the options box pops up automatically.

5) I found a profile called tempprof in my games list that I don't know where it came from. Any chance that I lost a profile when this happened?

6) The hover over behavior is strange. Empty boxes that take too long to go away.
image1gj5.png

That's all for now. 😀 Keep up the good work.

Reply 83 of 2280, by T.B.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Alexander,

here are just 2 bugs I've found in the 0.3.0 build 5 Version.

1. If starting D-Fend with the "Rember last windowsize" option, no of my games appear. I have to press favorites or genre first to get my list. Some kind of "refresh bug" I guess.

2. If using the new modern Profileditor, DOSBox want recognize the CPU Cycles setting "max". Because of saving it with an upper case "Max" in the profile. Classic profileditor works.

That's all.

Reply 84 of 2280, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm sorry I missed this last release. For some reason i didn't get an e-mail notification of the updates in this thread. 😅

Got a Yahoo account, it sometimes behaves weirdly with some message boards.

Anyway, I just downloaded the new strings, I'll have them translated ASAP, so at least they can make next release.

Sorry again, really.

Reply 85 of 2280, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There you go, sorry for the inconvenience.

@Alexander: Next time, could you please e-mail me the new strings to be translated instead of posting them here? I wouldn't want this to happen again.

My e-mail address is on the "Author" tab of the LANG file.

Thank you.

Edit: I've updated the file several times now, in order to remove typos and other stuff. Make sure you grab the latest version.

Attachments

• Filename
    Spanish.zip
    File size
    9.6 KiB
    Downloads
    401 downloads
    File comment
    Updated Spanish LANG file for D-Fend Reloaded v0.3.0.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 86 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To answer the last four posts:

Hi J.B. !

1) and 2) are bugs in the current release and will be fixed in 0.3.1.

3) is a little bit more complex: DOSBox is normally installed in a subdirectory of the programs folder. In Vista this folder is read only for normal applications so I use the temporary folder because trying to write to the programs folder won't work (or Vista would virtualize it, which means that DOSBox wouldn't be able to find the file either). But perhaps this is not needed: Until now I also use the temporary folder as the current directory when calling DOSBox. I have changed this to the DOSBox folder. If DOSBox is trying to read the ROM files simply from the current folder it will find them now.

4) I have searched in the source code where "LanguageSetup.MessageNoGameSelected" is used. It is definitively not used in the setup dialog. So I do not understand how this message can appear in the setup dialog. I will try to reproduce the error in the next days. If you can tell me some more information about the error, this would really help me.

5) Files named "tempprof.*" were created by D-Fend (not Reloaded) if you click on "Add profile" and then cancel the dialog. This files contain the unsaved, canceled profile. So you can delete them at any time with out losing any data. D-Fend Reloaded does not creates files named "tempprof.*" - as long as you do not create a profile with this name. Normally D-Fend Reloaded should delete this files at startup automatically.

6) Hmm, this looks odd. I have never seen this error before. I only use the Delphi RTL components, no custom Windows API calls and so on. The only thing I could imagine where this cound come from is the double buffering: To avoild flickering in Vista I activate double buffering for all controls in all windows. I have deactivated it in my current development version for the listview, perhaps this solves your problem, but I can not guarantee it.

Hi T.B. !

I have fixed both bugs. The first one was a real bug and for the second I must say, I didn't know DOSBox interprets the conf file casesensitively.

And last but not least, Hi Neville !

Nice to hear from you. No problem, I was only worried about you do not want to help me anymore at all. I have decided to make a 0.3.1 bug fix release. This release will bring nearly no new strings to be translated, so your Spanish translation for this is nearly ready, too.

But first of all I will bring to translation for version 0.3.0 to the D-Fend Reloaded homepage.

And of course I can e-mail you the strings for the next releases. But for now: Thank you very much for the translation for version 0.3.0.

My next steps for the next weeks are:
1. Bringing the Spanish translation to the server.
2. Making a upgrade package to better support special csv builds.
3. Updating the demo package.
4. Making the 0.3.1 bugfix release.
5. Having enough time with out any bugs waiting to be fixed to think about the features for 0.4.0.

But for the moment all of you, have a nice rest sunday.

Reply 87 of 2280, by J.B.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Alexander! Glad you're around, thought maybe the bug reports had scared you away for a while. 😀

4) I just reproduced it by doing a fresh USB install to a new folder without any confs. When the installer finishes I let it automatically start d-fend which pops up the settings box. Here I switch to advanced mode and select the "Default Values" tab. Put the cursor in the box somewhere and press enter. Error box pops up.

5) Ok, thx for explanation.

6) I found the problem goes away if I cancel Y'z Shadow. That's a small tool for creating fancy shadows. So don't bother putting any time into it.

Nice 10 minutes of Sunday to you too.

Reply 88 of 2280, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now, I found something quite annoying. Tell me if it is just me, but I'm creating more profiles in DFR and it seems to me that if I select "auto" or "max" cycles then it has no effect whatsoever, the program just runs at its usual 3000 cycles.

It does work fine if I select a fixed ammount of cycles, though.

And I have a question too: when it comes to creating a profile, DFR ignores the DOSBox CONF file, right? I have done a few tweaks to it (mostly disabled scaling), and I'd like these options to appear by default as they are in the DOSBox CONF file. How can I do that?

That's it with the questions / problems. On the other hand have to say that I love the new profile editor, and that the option to modify multiple profiles at the same time is very useful.

Reply 89 of 2280, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Neville - the cycles=auto/max only affects applications running inside DOSBox, not DOSBox itself. And then only some applications. I don't understand the details. Something about real-mode versus protected-mode programs. So when you start DOSBox you will see the default 3000 cycles.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 90 of 2280, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, I know that even with "auto" cycles selected DOSBox will show "3000" as cycles if the game / application is not too demanding.

But I've been setting up several high-end games with DFR and they don't behave as they should.

- Using the D.B.G.L. frontend and both "auto" CPU and cycles, "Nascar Racing" almost inmediately changes to "MAX" cycles and runs fluently.

- Using the latest D-Fend Reloaded and both "auto" CPU and cycles "Nascar Racing" keeps running at 3000 cycles and stutters.

Both frontends use the same install of DOSBox v0.72.

That's why I'm asking if it's only me, looks like a serious bug to me.

Reply 92 of 2280, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just to make sure, can you try "Nascar Racing" from DFR and then without any frontend?

Just to see if it is a DFR related issue. I think it is, as it works fine here from DBGL, but we'd better make sure.

Reply 93 of 2280, by T.B.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Neville wrote:
Yes, I know that even with "auto" cycles selected DOSBox will show "3000" as cycles if the game / application is not too demandi […]
Show full quote

Yes, I know that even with "auto" cycles selected DOSBox will show "3000" as cycles if the game / application is not too demanding.

But I've been setting up several high-end games with DFR and they don't behave as they should.

- Using the D.B.G.L. frontend and both "auto" CPU and cycles, "Nascar Racing" almost inmediately changes to "MAX" cycles and runs fluently.

- Using the latest D-Fend Reloaded and both "auto" CPU and cycles "Nascar Racing" keeps running at 3000 cycles and stutters.

Both frontends use the same install of DOSBox v0.72.

That's why I'm asking if it's only me, looks like a serious bug to me.

That's a bug which will be fixed in the 0.3.1 version. The new modern profile editor writes the the cpu cycles in upper case "Max" or "Auto". The DOSBox won't recognize it. Open your profile with the windows notepad and change it by hand or use the classic profile editor.

Reply 95 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi J.B.,

I have found the "No game selected" bug today. The problem was really tricky. The error message was not created by the setup dialog but by the invisible main window. At first program start the setup dialog is opend in the OnShow function of the main window. In this case keys which are connected to a menu item are given to the invisible main window. So pressing enter activates the "Edit profile" menu item. Because the profiles list is loaded after closing the setup dialog, it is empty while the setup dialog is open and so the "No game selected" error appears. When opening the setup dialog at a later time this strange thing does not occurs any more. - Will be fixed in 0.3.1.

Hi Neville,
if your problem is due to the "Auto"/"auto" bug, it will be fixed in 0.3.1 like T.B. said. If not, I have to say: I do not know much about the "auto" and "max" settings. A few days ago I didn't even know they are case sensitive. I have never used them in any of my profiles. If you can tell me the problem is not A/a M/m related, I will test this things the next days.

To answer your question: D-Fend Reloaded is not using the DOSBox.conf in the DOSBox directory at the moment. I could make an option to combine it with the conf file D-Fend Reloaded creates when starting a game. If you want to have all new profiles to have some specific settings you can change the default profile (Extras|Edit default profile) which is used for new profiles if you do not use a template. And if you want to change all profiles there is the multi profile editor. (If you want to have more changeable things in the multi profile editor, just tell me.)

If I would make a "combine my settings with the DOSBox.conf" option, I do not know in which order to combine the files and how DOSBox acts if there are double settings. (Does it take the first or the last key=value for some key ?)

I haven't much time at the moment, but I will try to bring your language file to Sourceforge and announce it on the project homepage tomorrow and perhaps to finish version 0.3.1 in two or three weeks. (I have fixed 7 bugs so far.)

Reply 97 of 2280, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can confirm my problem was caused by the Auto / auto problem.

As for using the DOSBox CONF file, I'd like that, but the "combining" idea seems too confusing to me. As far as I am concerned you can leave it as it is, I'll edit the default profile instead.

Thanks for the quick answers.

Reply 98 of 2280, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Alexander wrote:

If I would make a "combine my settings with the DOSBox.conf" option, I do not know in which order to combine the files and how DOSBox acts if there are double settings. (Does it take the first or the last key=value for some key ?)

DOSBox already supports working with multiple profiles. You just launch DOSBox with

dosbox.exe -conf profile1 -conf profile2 -conf profile3 ....

I haven't tested how the overriding works but I would be very surprised if it was anything else than "the last setting prevails".

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 99 of 2280, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
MiniMax wrote:

I haven't tested how the overriding works but I would be very surprised if it was anything else than "the last setting prevails".

Correct

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!