VOGONS

Common searches

D-Fend Reloaded (DOSBox frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 1780 of 2280, by sgt.bayley

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, i was googling for some DOS GUIs and i found this: http://someripoffwebsite.com/
Could you also style d-fend like this? i have lookked around and it looks the same as dfend but it crashes always 🙁

edit by Qbix: That site rips of dosbox and dfend reloaded. I added it out

Reply 1781 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@talregev:

It more simpler if you selected them all, and then you can use the same
command (del or right click then delete for deletion, and right click Export, for exporting).

Of course it would. But the component used for displaying the games list is not supporting this. That's why I have chosen the other way. The other option would be completely reinventing the Windows listview common control which would be a year of fulltime work.

I have many D-Fend on my computer, and I want to have to try many versions of it, so it really hard to export manually all the 100 windows game profile.

You can make zip package of Windows games. You just have to enable this in the setup dialog! But this looks like you do not want to make zip package you just want to copy profiles and that's quite easy: File|Create prof files...

That a general weakness of the listview component used to display the screenshots and cannot be improved from my side. Sorry.

Can it done in other way? you can't think for other solution?

If I tell you I can't improve it then this means I can't improve it.

@Alexandra:
Added to the wish list for the next version.

Reply 1783 of 2280, by Paul Galbraith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there a way to change the location of the confs directory? I changed the base folder locatioin but it still seems to want to load/save profiles to the default "D-Fend Reloaded" directory in my user profile. I'd really prefer to move everything to another location!

Reply 1784 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi Paul Galbraith, if you want to use DFR on a completely other directory than intended by the program, I would suggest making a portable installation in the directory of your choice.

Reply 1785 of 2280, by Zatoll

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use the portable installation of latest D-Fend Reloaded and latest Taewoong's DOSBox SVN build. MIDI: Additional setting is not used when launching DOS program. Soundfont is inside DOSBox directory. Settings:
[midi]
mpu401=intelligent
device=synth
config=SC-55.sf2
MT32Mode=auto
MT32Time=5
MT32Level=3

Reply 1787 of 2280, by SysRQ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I use D-Fend Reloaded 1.3.3 (portable mode) installed in D:\Emulation\DOS\D-Fend Reloaded\ Everything seems to be fine until I create an archive package ("Make archive file package" option). I get a package with all the files but inside a *.conf file all the paths are absolute. Paths inside a *.prof file are relative. All the games are installed in .\VirtualHD\game_name\. Every game profile is using a relative paths. Is there anything extra I need to do to be able to create an archive containing game files, screen shoots and extra files that can be installed on a different computer?

Here are two archives (one for DOSBox and one for ScummVM):

Bards Tale I

Codename:Iceman (for ScummVM)

I have removed the games files to avoid a copyright problems.

Reply 1788 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The conf file is not used when reimporting the package into another DFR installation. The path names in the prof file are relative and that's the important thing. When creating an archive file DFR is additionally adding a conf file so the archive can also be used without DFR. Conf file are directly used with DOSBox and DOSBox does not know anything about the DFR base directory so in these files there cannot be any relative path names.

Reply 1789 of 2280, by Zatoll

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I want to add information to my last post. Here I show the entries of the section '[midi]' in both files D-Fend reloaded uses. To notice is that the line 'device=synth' is not completely written to the temporary file. Here they are:

C:\Meine Dateien\D-Fend Reloaded Portable\Confs\Die Siedler II (Gold Edition).prof:
[midi]
mpu401=intelligent
device=synth
config=SC-55.sf2

C:\Users\ZatoLL\AppData\Local\Temp\DOSBOX.CONF:
[midi]
mpu401=intelligent
mididevice=synth
midiconfig=

Reply 1791 of 2280, by ruairi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I've made a DOS Demoscene repository for the D-Fend Reloaded.
Check it out:

Web Site: http://dos.rc55.com/
Repository: http://dos.rc55.com/scene.xml

Do read the disclaimer though! I know D-Fend has a Scene.org repository, perhaps we can work together going forward... for the moment I'll do a bit more work on my repo and see where we go from there.

Reply 1792 of 2280, by jordanpublic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Alexander. Congrats on your program. It's great. Good Job.

I am not sure if this has been asked before, but I notice a significant delay of 2-3 seconds when I click on a game entry in my D-Fend program. It doesn't matter if it is a left or right click, the delay is always the same. I tried changing views but this doesn't make any difference either. I tried it on my laptop and my desktop computer and the problem is there regardless of my hardware.

It's very annoying to have to wait every time I click on something in D-Fend's game list area. Is there something I can do to fix this? Thank you for your time.

Reply 1793 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Zatoll:
The config key in the prof file and the midiconfig key in the conf file are not connected in this way. In the prof file you can specify a MIDI device to be used (for example "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth"); not to be confused with the device key. If the config key is not empty, D-Fend Reloaded is trying to find out the DOSBox MIDI device id of this name and is writing this number to the midiconfig key in the conf file. If you use some special build which can handle some special settings in the midiconfig field, you will need to write these in the custom settings field on the DOSBox settings page of the profile editor.

@ruairi:
Looking very nice. Just send me a notice if you think your repository is done and I will add it to the DFR default download repository list.

@jordanpublic:
That's definitive not the normal behavior. If you right click on a profile list entry the context menu should open at once. Even on large game lists. It is known that some "Windows 7 GUI for Windows XP" programs can cause problems in the GUI (not only for DFR). But that's all I have ever heard about GUI problems in DFR. If you can give me some more details perhaps I can help you.

Reply 1794 of 2280, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@jordanpublic: Try deleting all images that you have associated with your games (screenshots, cover/media images, etc.). These caused a significant delay for me.

Reply 1795 of 2280, by Alexandra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@jordanpublic @HunterZ Yeah, I noticed the same thing recently. I'd just downloaded all of the Mobygames images for Quake 3 (maybe two dozen) and suddenly clicking on the Q3 profile caused a noticeable delay. Deleting all images but the cover fixed it. I assume it's a shortcoming of whatever code/library D-Fend uses for handling the images.

Reply 1796 of 2280, by SysRQ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is it possible to set the default compression method for archive packages? Every time I create it I have to change to 7z which is what I prefer. It would be also nice if we could break the process of creating archives at any time. When an ISO file(s) is required to run a game the process of making archives can take quite a long time. During that time it's impossible to minimize D-Fend and do something else. You can always use "Show Desktop" but it's not always good idea if you have a couple of other windows open and you want to switch between them.

Reply 1797 of 2280, by MattM1121

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings,

I've been getting Access Violations with D-Fend 1.3.3. It happens quite often, and sometimes fills my screen with literally hundreds of "Access Violation" errors. Anyone have any idea why this would happen? I'm using D-Fend 1.3.3 on Windows 8 x64.

Thanks,

-Matt

Reply 1798 of 2280, by jordanpublic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You are right guys. When no images (or only one) is saved in the Capture folder the delay is significantly reduced.

Alexandra wrote:

@jordanpublic @HunterZ Yeah, I noticed the same thing recently. I'd just downloaded all of the Mobygames images for Quake 3 (maybe two dozen) and suddenly clicking on the Q3 profile caused a noticeable delay. Deleting all images but the cover fixed it. I assume it's a shortcoming of whatever code/library D-Fend uses for handling the images.

Reply 1799 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@SysRQ:
Adding more setup options to DFR is not planned, but you can set the compression format just from the filename input field. DFR will automatically choose the right compression method from the file extension, so there is no need to click the file type drop down list.

The compression progress window is displayed as a modal dialog. Making the program minimizeable while showing a dialog window would require bigger changes, so I really would like to set this aside.

@MattM1121:
I haven't tested DFR on Windows 8 yet, but I haven't heard of any general problems running DFR under Windows 8. So I think DFR should run under Windows 8, too. So with this little information ("I'm getting access violations") I can't help you. In the past the most problems running DFR were not raised by DFR itself but my some other programs, for example by programs trying to change the system GUI etc.

@jordanpublic/HunterZ/Alexandra:
If you have many and large images in the screenshots folder, creating the thumbnails on slow systems can take some time. If this is true for your system and your set of images, you can try to change the image scaling method to some less resource intensive one on the user interface->scale images page of the program configuration dialog.