D-Fend Reloaded (DOSBox frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 1620 of 2280, by Az

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wasn't the answer I was hoping for 😜
I'm guessing you haven't got any suggestions? 🙁

I've just tried a really old version and got this error?
Thanks for your reply, just wish I could somehow get it working as I want to play some old games, I am not very technical and this was the most easiest of things to use out of any I have tried!

Attachments

• Filename
    error2.jpg
    File size
    96.84 KiB
    Downloads
    214 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1621 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you try to use a plain, new installation? Is this one failing, too? If not, you could try to add more and more game and check when exactly it's failing. If a plain installation also crashes you can try to activate the built-in logging system to find out what’s going wrong: If you create an empty file named "D-Fend-Reloaded-Log.txt" on your desktop, D-Fend Reloaded will write start-up logging information to this file.

Reply 1622 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use = D-Fend Reloaded, "v1.2.1", Portable structure.

1) LoadFix Max Value Error.
Is when i edit the value with digit, bigger than 512. Like = 9999
See file attached.

2) A File With DotCom Dont Work.
I use DOS32A extention. See = "LoadFix Max Value Error screenshot".
See file attached.

Attachments

• Filename
    LoadFixMaxValueError.jpg
    File size
    130.27 KiB
    Downloads
    217 downloads
    File comment
    LoadFix max value error.
    File license
  • AFileWithDotComDontWork.jpg
    Filename
    AFileWithDotComDontWork.jpg
    File size
    188.63 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    A file with DotCom dont work.
    File license

Reply 1624 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@sst:
1. The spin edit controls in the profile editor dialog are runlime library components. It looks like the spin edit is checking the predefined value range when using the up and down buttons but not when entering text via the keyboard. I will add more checks to avoid wrong values in the info text etc. in the next version of DFR.
2. The program you are trying to start is not a DOS 32-bit exe file, so DOS/32A cannot launch it. DFR trys to determine if a program is a DOS 32-bit file or not. But because there is no definitive sign for a file to be a 32-bit file this detection is not always showing the right result. Therefore the 32-bit info label hint in the profile editor is more a suggestion.

@Az:
If you do not at least tell me what DFR is writing to the log file, I cannot help you.

Reply 1625 of 2280, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

"Hardware 2x (hardware2x)" and "Hardware 3x (hardware3x)" will be added/removed when activating/deactivating pixel shader GUI."

How activate pixel shader gui because I don't find the option in dfend reloaded 1.2.1?

Reply 1626 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@willow

"Hardware 2x (hardware2x)" and "Hardware 3x (hardware3x)" will be added/removed when activating/deactivating pixel shader GUI."

How activate pixel shader gui because I don't find the option in dfend reloaded 1.2.1?

Respond
It's an advanced DOSBox CVS feature.
Select in the menubar "File | Program options...", after select "Mode Advanced". Then see the file attached to enabe pixel shader gui.

I hope it will solve the problem?

Attachments

Reply 1628 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@willow

willow
Thanks it works.

Respond
😀 😎
P.S. = Alexander is the main programmor, of D-Fend Reloaded (DOSBox frontend).

willow
But I would like to know what if the differences between hardware3x scaler and hq3x scaler?

Respond
pixelshader hq3x
scaler hardware3x

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_scaling
http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Scaler

Reply 1629 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

(edit)

I report no bug for the moment, then at my side, the software seem stable.

Please can it be made an option inside D-Fend Reloaded, to auto-detect the year of a software? Without using the option inside D-Fend Reloaded "Download game information".

Last edited by sst on 2012-01-25, 22:52. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1630 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

(edit)

@wd
Respond = please excuse me, ... i will not remade that, ...

Also, ...

I have tested, to not include a dosbox directory, inside D-Fend Reloaded portable = "App\D-Fend Reloaded\", then it search for a dosbox software inside the "C drive". But that dosbox search window is not translated = only in english.

Then please let that dosbox search window, translatable by translator, ...

Last edited by sst on 2012-01-26, 02:38. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1632 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi sst,

the search for DOSBox dialog should be translateable, I will check this.

Detecting the correct year of a game just from the game files is not very relyable. Most times the file date has changed over the year (for example by archiving the original files using some program not saving the file date etc).

BTW: About three weeks ago FreeDOS 1.1 has been released. I will check if the FreeDOS 1.1 command line tools also work well with D-Fend Reloaded and DOSBox and if everything works fine, I will add it to D-Fend Reloaded 1.3.

Reply 1633 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Alexander wrote:
Hi sst, […]
Show full quote

Hi sst,

the search for DOSBox dialog should be translateable, I will check this.

Detecting the correct year of a game just from the game files is not very relyable. Most times the file date has changed over the year (for example by archiving the original files using some program not saving the file date etc).

BTW: About three weeks ago FreeDOS 1.1 has been released. I will check if the FreeDOS 1.1 command line tools also work well with D-Fend Reloaded and DOSBox and if everything works fine, I will add it to D-Fend Reloaded 1.3.

Respond =

1 ) Thanks for your respond, related to year of a game detection.

2 ) Good news that you whant to include the FreeDOS 1.1 version.

At my side i have tested FreeDOS 1.1 in a virtual guest machine inside VirtualBox. FreeDOS 1.1 is installed, ... it have take me some times to install it correctly inside a virtual machine, i will try soon inside dosbox and D-Fend Reloaded. For the moment the "FreeDOS 1.1 installer", only work when boot from the cd-rom and iso.

Reply 1634 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have done some testing on FreeDOS 1.1 today. First I found out creating bootable hard disk images is broken in DFR since version 1.1. (Since 1.1 the file GRLDR is missing in the FreeDOS directory and this file is needed to create a FreeDOS bootloader on a hard disk image.) This will be fixed in 1.3b1 of course.

The current FreeDOS 1.1 release is only a replacement for the "base" package of FreeDOS 1.0. Many tools are missing in the current FD 1.1 release (for example the DOS4GW replacement DOS32A). I will check if I can mix the FreeDOS 1.1 base package with the additional tools from 1.0.

Reply 1637 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

dos32a is said to be faster and more stable than dos32gw so I'm offering to use dos32a for 32 bit dos games. Of course you can also run dos32gw programs in DOSBox using dos32gw. D-Fend Reloaded is offering this option since one of the first releases and probably many people are using this option so I do not want to drop support for it.

Reply 1639 of 2280, by pedrorq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Been having a strange crash on D-Fend reloaded, perhaps someone can help me find out the basics so I can figure out the problem:

I have a Windows 7 machine with a Midisport 2x2 that I use to connect my Roland MT-32 to it. I am able to play Ultima 7 etc with the MT-32 sounds and messages on the MT-32 screen. Until yesterday, no problems.
Since yesterday, trying to select a MIDI interface crashes D-Fend ("this program has started responding and will now close"). Trying to run a game that uses the MIDI interface, yields the same result.

I've tried everything from rebooting to reinstalling to replugging the Midisport to another USB. Nothing changes. I have not installed any updates or anything either in the last week.

I guess the first question I have is: is there a way to see the D-Fend error log or something, to see why it is crashing?

If not, is there a way to start DOSBox only (without D-Fend), but using D-Fend's saved configuration for a given game, to see if the problem lies with D-Fend itself, DOSBox or my Midisport?

Thanks in advance!