Common searches

D-Fend Reloaded (DOSBox frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 1680 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So how exactly do I make changes that WILL be transferred, and that acctually make a difference to the game I'm playing?

The content of the "Custom settings" box on the "DOSBox settings" page of the profile editor will be added to the conf which is created when starting DOSBox.

Reply 1681 of 2280, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a question.

I recently got a new computer, and I want to transfer everything from d-fend over to my new comp. Games, settings, etc.

Is there a way to export everything? Or do I need to manually copy the game folders, and then find a settings file somewhere?

The settings I'm talking about are the cpu settings for each game, etc. Such as setting the cycles, etc. etc. Where does this setting file exist? Would I only need to copy this file and overwrite it on a new installation in order to restore all of the settings on my new computer?

Thanks for such a great piece of software. I love having all of my games organized in such a way, and playing them is a piece of cake.

Reply 1682 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi lukeman3000,

it's very easy to transfer your complete profiles from one computer to another: D-Fend Reloaded can pack a whole profile into a zip file. This zip file then contains the game program files, your additional data files and screenshots and the profile file containing the settings. These zip files are also great for backing up games. You can create zip files for single games or also for multiple games in a batch. If your want to create zip files for all your games just use the menu item File->Export->Build archive file packages for multiple games. On your new system you can just drag&drop these files on the D-Fend Reloaded program window to import the games again.

Reply 1683 of 2280, by Anonymous MOS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Alexander,

Another request from the Official DFR Facebook page...

This one is a request for a coverflow type interface. Wouldn't that require a complete rewrite with different tools?

Thanks!

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Windows 11 Home, 64-bit

Reply 1684 of 2280, by Hlafordlaes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alexander,

Just starting using the tool and find it great. Thanks a lot!

When creating a Windows game profile, there is an option to use Daemon Tools to automount the CD image. Is there any way I can configure the program to use, say, Virtual CloneDrive, instead?

Sorry if this has already been asked.

Reply 1685 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Ranthalion75:
Having a coverflow interface would be very nice, but sorry, the runtime library has no components for this.

@Hlafordlaes:
D-Fend Reloaded can only control loading CD images via DOSBox when running a DOSBox based profile. If you want to use a CD image for a Windows profile you will need a Windows CD drive emulator and you will need to set up the mount/unmount commands via the helper program page of the profile editor.

Reply 1687 of 2280, by Anonymous MOS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Alexander,

I thought so. I had already answered that one with an similar answer, but I wanted to make sure.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Windows 11 Home, 64-bit

Reply 1688 of 2280, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Installed D-Fend Reloaded so that I could set my brother up with the QfG games from the Anthology CD. I have to say that it is really slick with the installer feature and such.

The only thing that really threw me for a loop is that it insists on running the 'keyb' command to set a codepage. Even though it makes a sensible selection (US 437), it messes up the keyboard input on my brother's US Windows 7 laptop so that some of the keys type different things than they should.

Is there a way to disable D-Fend's use of 'keyb' altogether, since it is just degrading the experience in this case? I tried setting the "keyboard layout" option to "none" (there is no "none" for the "codepage" setting) but it still loaded US 437, which seems to contradict the note on the keyboard settings page.

Reply 1689 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

D-Fend Reloaded will always add a keyb command to the autoexec section of the DOSBox conf file. The only thing you can do is setting the keyboard layout and the codepage you want to have. If you select "auto" D-Fend Reloaded will choose both from the selected language in D-Fend Reloaded. Besides things like "us", "gr", "fr" for languages the DOSBox keyb command also knows "none", so D-Fend Reloaded is also offering this. (For the codepage there is no "none".)

If you have selected the correct keyboard layout and codepage but still some keys are not working as intended, it's very likely that this has nothing to do with the keyb command inside DOSBox. In these cases usually DOSBox has some problems communicating with the Windows keyboard driver. You can try to change these settings:

- Profile editor -> Keyboard -> Use scan codes
- File -> Program options -> DOSBox -> More settings -> SDL videodriver

If this doesn't helps, you can try to remap the keys using the DOSBox keymapper:

- Run -> Run DOSBox keymapper

Reply 1690 of 2280, by dummy999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello

i upload korean language file.

but i wanna mail you file.

i dont know your mail address.

good day!

Attachments

• Filename
    Korean.ini
    File size
    113.42 KiB
    Downloads
    305 downloads
    File comment
    korean language file ver 1.3.0
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1691 of 2280, by Ikrananka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just updated D-Fend Reloaded to 1.3.0 and now have a minor issue I hope you can help resolve. Whenever I start the program I immediately get an error dialog box that states that "Unable to create directory.". Clicking OK starts the program but my games list is missing. If I open the program option and immediately click OK my games list is then populated. Is there a solution to this?

Thanks

Reply 1692 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi dummy999,
thank you very much for your Koran language file. I will add it to the next D-Fend Reloaded version and also have added it to the package system. The best way to reach me is via this forum. You can also find my mail address in the DFR program info dialog but sometimes my spam filter deletes these mails.

Hi Ikrananka,
when starting a new version of DFR for the first time its doing some updates to the configuration files. In the DFend.ini in the DFR configuration directory the program version used at last run is stored. If this version number is different to the current version number DFR is moving files around, adding auto setup templates, icons etc. depending on the number of the old and the new version. If you are doing a full installation of 1.3 a new version of FreeDOS is installed. If you are updating using the update installer from 1.1.x or 1.2.x nothing happens. To help me finding the problem, you could tell me from which version you are updating and which update method you are using (update installer or full installer). DFR is running with normal user rights (no admin rights etc.) so it can only write to user writeable directories. Normally the DFR configuration directory (C:\Users\<You>\D-Fend Reloaded) could be user writeable but you could check this anyway. To check what exactly DFR wanted to do when producing the error, you can create an empty file named "D-Fend-Reloaded-Log.txt" on your desktop. If DFR finds this file on start up, it will log the start up process there.

Reply 1695 of 2280, by mjfoxtrot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. I just started using D-Fend Reloaded (DFR) and it works quite well. I use it for not only DosBox, but also ScummVM and a few other command-line emulators (Daphne laserdisc and Snes9x work without a hitch.)

A couple of problems I noticed, though:

1. The "hide console window" for games made with a ScummVM profile seems to be broken. I tested the --no-console command in the version of ScummVM I am using, and it works fine, so there is something about the way DFR is sending the command-line argument that is not working correctly. This problem is only present in the games that D-Fend configures with its ScummVM profiles . . . if I set up ScummVM as a new emulator in DFR, I can specify the --no-console command as an additional parameter and it will run the game without the console. I've already set up a lot of Scumm games using the profiles, though, so it would be a bit of a hassle to re-configure them all.

2. The tree-list view on the left-hand side of DFR has a category called "Emulation Type" that lists not only DosBox, ScummVM, and Windows, but also the two emulator profiles I added (Daphne and Snes9x.) Unfortunately, though, the games I added for in Daphne and Snes9x show up under "Windows." I can't find any way to fix that. Is there something I am missing?

3. This is more of a feature request . . . is there a log file stored some place that would enable me to see the command line argument that DFR sent when running a game? It would be useful for debugging things like the problem I mentioned in #1.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Reply 1696 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi mjfoxtrot,

1. There are a couple of ScummVM related bugs in DFR 1.3: First to name the user-defined additional command line parameters will be ignored when starting ScummVM. In older versions of ScummVM hiding the console the old way worked well but not now anymore. The next version of DFR will additionally to the old way use the --no-console command line switch and also the console=false ini key for hiding the console. Also auto detection of ScummVM if installed after DFR will be improved (no need to open the setup dialog and clicking "Search ScummVM" anymore in this case). And last but not least there has been a bug in the new game wizard which could result in some cases in empty profile names when adding a ScummVM based profile.

2. If you not just have added the games as Windows profiles but have configured user-defined emulators in the DFR setup dialog, these emulators should be listed under "Emulation Type".

3. There are not many logging functions in DFR. You can get a log file showing what happens when starting a DOSBox based profile if you add the line "DOSBoxStartLogging=1" to the [ProgramSets] section in your C:\Users\<you>\D-Fend Reloaded\Settings\DFend.ini. But this function is mostly intended for finding out which part of the start-up process takes how long. The next version of DFR - probably a small 1.3.1 service release - will show the command line parameters used when starting DOSBox or ScummVM as a comment in the header of the conf or ini file. (You can get this file from the profile menu, the games list context menu or the tools menu in the profile editor.)

Reply 1697 of 2280, by Niagulli

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alexander,

I downloaded warcraft 2 and was able to play it yesterday. Now today, I go to play it and it says I need to insert the game into the computer, but i never took it out.

how do I get past that?

Reply 1698 of 2280, by mjfoxtrot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

2. If you not just have added the games as Windows profiles but have configured user-defined emulators in the DFR setup dialog, these emulators should be listed under "Emulation Type".

I know, and they are. But the problem is that several of the GAMES I have set up for each of those user-defined emulators ONLY appear in the "all" games list, and not under "Emulation Type." For instance, I set up a user-defined emulator and named it MAME. I then created several profiles that work with the MAME emulator and the names of the games appear just fine in the "all" listing. But when I click on Emulation Type in the folder tree, I can see the MAME emulation type, but NOT any of the games that are configured for it. Looks like a bug . . .

Reply 1699 of 2280, by mjfoxtrot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got it figured out . . . it's not a bug, my apologies. The reason the games were not showing under their respective emulation types was because I had set some of the games as relative paths in their profiles, but the actual program file for the emulator the game uses was set as an absolute path. So, even though DFR would run the program perfectly, it perceived that the games did not belong to the correct emulation type. A small but annoying problem fixed . . . all the games now appear correctly in the tree view.

Thanks for a great program.