D-Fend Reloaded (DOSBox frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 700 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi skatz,

again: On my system everything looks right. If you comment out all icons, the internal image list keeps empty and when the dialog requests an icon the loading is aborted by a Nr>=ImageList.Count compare. But if you comment out only one icon in the list the icon loader will add an empty icon while loading icons with higher numbers to keep the numbers in list right. When the dialog requests this empty icon an IsIconEmpty(B) check aborts the replacement of the icon. And it looks like this IsIconEmpty is not working right at your system.

So no 0.7 final today (and because I will have little time next week) no 0.7 final next week. 🙁

Reply 702 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some really hopefully last test version:

Full installer (can also make portable installations)
Update installer

Changed things:

• Added some separete list for storing which user defined icon is available and which is just empty.
  • Help topics for the hidden 0.8 features. Help topics for "Setup|List in icon mode" and "Create multiple shortcuts" are available from the dialogs but not linked in the help index.
  • Experimental image scaling: Add "ImageFilter=..." to the [ProgramSets] section in DFend.ini. Valid values are 0 to 8. "0" is off, "1" is a very slow and simple scaling algorithm (using the pixel property to access the pixels) and "2" to "8" are some fast, more advanced fiters directly accessing the image scanlines. Default value for 0.7 will be "0".

Reply 704 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i Alexander, ...

I use your = D-Fend Reloaded 0.7 near final = Updated inside the PortableApps package.

= It have made the update, even if i use ther "v0.7 update package", and the "PortableApps package".
----------------------------------------------------------------

Do you plan to make, the "PortableApps package", for the final 0.7 ?

---

No bug to report.

---

Maybe in "0.8", you can made some new settings, inside = "Edit multiple profile(s) | Settings to change".

---

--------------------------
Sylvain St-Amand (sst)

Reply 705 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi sst,
of course the real final version will be available in all 6 versions (installer, update installer, full zip package, mini zip package, PortableApps installer and source code) - and they are already done and waiting to be uploaded. At the moment I'm just updating a local copy of the DFR homepage and tomorrow all will go online.

Multiple profiles editor:
Which settings are you missing? I thought I have added everyting by now.

Reply 706 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

D-Fend Reloaded 0.7 released
Finally, after nearly half a year D-Fend Reloaded 0.7 is available for download. The updating function in D-Fend Reloaded should also be able to find this new version and update your existing installation. The list of new features and fixed bugs is very long (see changelog). Some of the highlights are the ability to import plain zip files, scan the games folder for new games, the new icon set and many more things.

D-Fend Reloaded is available for download in six different versions. Besides the always offered versions (setup, update setup, zip, mini zip and source) there is a new PortableApps package.

Next steps
Before even starting any work on 0.8 I will (after doing nothing for some days) try to add some more demos from here to the demos package.

Plans for 0.8
You can find an incomplete list of what I'm thinking for D-Fend Reloaded 0.8 on the beta download page. If you have got any more good ideals, tell me.

Hidden things in 0.7
Because I haven't stopped working on new features after the 0.7 string freeze there are already some untranslated and not tested and therefore hidden features in D-Fend Reloaded 0.7. If you want to take a look at these things you can add the line "ActivateIncompleteFeatures=1" in the [ProgramSets] section of DFend.ini. The following things will get activated: Extras|Create multiple shortcuts, Setup dialog|Games list|List in icons mode, Setup dialog|GUI|Select icon set, Selection dialog when importing a zip file or scanning the games folder and there are multiple auto setup templates matching a game, conext menu for the toolbar, Setup dialog|Profile editor|Rename profile file if profile gets renamed.

D-Fend Reloaded 0.8 will also bring a better image scaling algorithm for screenshots (games list in screenshot mode, image previewer are and image viewer dialog). You can already test some different scaling algorithms by adding the line "ImageFilter=..." to the [ProgramSets] section in DFend.ini. Valid values are 0 to 8. "0" is off (the default in DFR 0.7), "1" is a very slow and simple scaling algorithm (using the pixel property to access the pixels) and "2" to "8" are some fast, more advanced fiters directly accessing the image scanlines. At the moment I'm not sure if I will offer an option to change the image scaler or just setup the best for use in 0.8. So please tell me which one is working well for you.

Support
As usual if you have made some new auto setup templates and would like to send them to me this would be great. The automatic setup functions will work better and better as there are more and more auto setup templates.

Also the Italian translation in D-Fend Reloaded 0.7 is incomplete (the translator was not answering my mails). So if anybody would like to update the Italian translation for DFR 0.7 and/or for the next releases this would be very good.

And finally D-Fend Reloaded 0.7 already has some limited icon set support (see readme in "IconSets" folder). Version 0.8 will have a full GUI for changing the icon set on the fly. So some more artwork is also very welcome.

Have fun with the new version.

Reply 707 of 2280, by HarryK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alexander,

Forgive me if this is not the right place to be posting my question - this is my first use of D-Fend Reloaded and I have never used DosBox or any of its frontends before.

I want to play the text game Mindwheel, which is supported by DosBox. I used D-Fend Reloaded to get things set up, and the game ran fine - except that instead of filling my screen, it drew a fairly small rectangle in the center of the screen and filled it with text that was readable but really very small. How can I expand this box to fill up my whole screen so that the text is more easily readable? I suspect I have to monkey with some DosBox related file, but I don't know where to start. I used what I believe was called the wizard's template (the last choice), because Mindwheel was not among the games listed in the D-Fend Reloaded game list associated with one of the other template choices.

Thanks,
Harry

Reply 708 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very easy:
Select profile in D-Fend Reloaded, open profile editor (Profil|Edit oder conext menu|Edit), Select section "Graphics", change setting in box "Full screen resolution".

Reply 709 of 2280, by HarryK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Changing "Full screen resolution" did not do the job. However, I'm up and running as I wanted to be. I emailed an Internet acquaintance whom I thought had used DOSBox, and he told me to change "Window resolution," and also to change Render to "Overlay" in the Graphics part of the profile. I did, and now the game uses the whole screen and has larger type.

When I set up Mindwheel, I didn't put in any information other than the name of the game. How do I now add the additional (optional) descriptive items, and how can I add the Mindwheel profile to the D-Fend Reloaded list of games so that it will be easy for anyone else who wants to play it?

Harry

Reply 710 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HarryK wrote:

I emailed an Internet acquaintance whom I thought had used DOSBox, and he told me to change "Window resolution," and also to change Render to "Overlay" in the Graphics part of the profile. I did, and now the game uses the whole screen and has larger type.

"Window resolution'" is not changing the resolution in full screen mode. Are you sure you're running in full screen mode? (No window border visible etc.)
And the render mode is not changing the resolution at all. It's just how the output is sent to the screen. (Depending on you OS and your graphics driver some render modes can dramatically slow down or speed up you game.)

HarryK wrote:

When I set up Mindwheel, I didn't put in any information other than the name of the game. How do I now add the additional (optional) descriptive items,

Select profile to change, menu: Profile|Edit, select "Program information" on the left of the profile editor dialog, enter what ever you want on the right.

Reply 711 of 2280, by Huggybaby

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Alexander,

D-Fend Reloaded is great! The only "bad" thing is that it's such a powerful program there are many features I haven't even tried yet. 😁

I have two questions:
1) What path do I specify for Ultrasound drivers in the 7-zip version? If I put my ULTRASND folder in the VirtualHD folder, can I leave the GUS Path at the default C:\ULTRASND?

2) I use the 7-zip version and it seems to work fine as a standalone. How is that different from the portable apps version?

Thank you.

Reply 712 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi Huggybaby,

1) I have never used or even tested Ultrasnd yet. I'm just giving this value to DOSBox. I don't know how DOSBox uses this. So I also don't know if DOSBox interprets this relative to the DOSBox file structure also absolute to the host directory structure. If it's relative to the DOSBox file structure you can add a ziped drive for example as D: and store in this zip file in the subdirectory "ULTRASND" the drivers. The corresponding DOSBox Ultrasnd setting would be D:\ULTRASND in this case.

2) The PortableApps version is not intended to be used standalone. It's made for use inside the PortableApps framework (it's just the normale portable version with some additional information and a launcher). And to already answer the next possible question: The zip package and the installation mode "portable" from the main installer are identically. Even more: I make the zip package versions by doing a portable installation by using the normal installer and then packing the portable installation directory to a zip file.

Reply 713 of 2280, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I don't know how DOSBox uses this.

It's a path of the mounted directory structure, so if c:\x is mounted as d-drive
and c:\x\ULTRASND exists (containing a gus patches installation, the ultradir
entry should contain D:\ULTRASND

Reply 714 of 2280, by Huggybaby

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like putting the Ultrasnd folder in VirtualHD should work automatically then, but I'll quit being lazy and find a game to test it with.

Regarding standalone mode, it sounds like the zip version is exactly what I'm looking for. For example, I made a Scorched Earth package for a friend of mine, then zipped it all up and sent it to him, and I was able to tell him that everything he needed to run any other DOS game he owned was also included.

I've always used frontends for DosBox, and the trickiest part of DosBox (for me) has always been mounting the drives. The VirtualHD folder really makes that easy!

Reply 715 of 2280, by KajQrd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have come across quite an annoying bug. When I change my view to screenshots I get an error message saying "invalid floating point operation". When I change to any of the other views everything is working fine and dandy. I can see no other reason for this behaviour than a somewhat large game collection. At the moment counting 101 games. Both SCUMMVM, dosbox and windows games are installed. I have in earlier versions of D-Fend Reloaded been getting some other error messages if I had an empty bmp file in my screenshot folder for any of the games. But I have checked and that is not the case here.

Reply 717 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Alexander, ...

I use your = D-Fend Reloaded 0.7, Final "PortableApps package".

---

I try to add some more demos from here to the demos package

What do you mean to add demo game package ?

??? = On your D-Fend Reloaded download website ? and/or in your ["AutoSetup"] sub-directory ?

---
On your website = Do you think to add, some new game package(s) ?
---
Will wait for 8.0, testing phase, ... (For the moment, i verify each dos game(s), that it is inside D-Fend Reloaded software, are configured and work correctly.)

---
How i post "AutoSetup game config" made by me, to D-Fend Reloaded community ?
--------------------------
Sylvain St-Amand (sst)

Reply 718 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi sst,

at the moment I'm adding demos from
pain.scene.org to my games list. You can already find a demos package in the "Example games packages" box of the D-Fend Reloaded download page. I will uploaded the new, much bigger package as soon as its done. (The list on pain.scene.org is really large and at the moment I'm at the letter "E" in it.)

I haven't started working on D-Fend Reloaded 0.8 yet but I will think about some functions for gettings auto setup templates from external download locations etc.

Reply 719 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi everybody,

I just recived a mail from Sourceforge about the "Community Choice Award". D-Fend Reloaded has been selected to be able to be nominated. If you want D-Fend Reloaded to become one of the finalist, please click this link:
http://sourceforge.net/community/cca09/nomina … 2422d3ca89a0c85

If you want to suggest some other project (for example DOSBox if its not already selected) you can do this here:
http://sourceforge.net/community/cca09/nominate

(The last years winners in the category "Best Project for Gamers" are: XBMC (2008), ScummVM (2007), XBMC (2006).)

Greetings
Alexander