VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Enker-Zan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I ran the game using the DOSbox, and it runs way to slow to actually play for a long period of time, may i ask if the game can be speed up or have DOSbox upgrade in running speed? Thanks.

Reply 3 of 19, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

core 2 DUO cpu or better 😜

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 7 of 19, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, then:

DosFreak wrote:

Read the readme.

Otherwise it'd be really helpful if you posted your system specs, especially your cpu type. "Fast" is a quite vague description. Oblivion works fine with a comparatively mediocre cpu (like e.g. Athlon64 3000+), as long as you have enough memory and a fast gpu. DOSBox on the other hand only needs a powerful cpu, gpu and memory are secondary.

franpa wrote:

core 2 DUO cpu or better

"What's a paladin?!"

Reply 8 of 19, by dooomer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually Blood1 can run natively quite well under Windows Xp.

On my desktop pc and my laptop, I have managed to make it run quite ok, although the laptop needs more tweaking than the desktop.

You can try this post at deathmask.net:
http://forums.transfusion-game.com/viewtopic.php?t=1074

Reply 9 of 19, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dooomer wrote:

Actually Blood1 can run natively quite well under Windows Xp.

yeah, and monkeys fly out my butt. the so called 'native' NTVDM experience varies highly for everyone (input lag, lack of network play and crappy sound is not 'well')

If it's too slow then you're not using DOSBox 0.72 are you?

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 11 of 19, by Enker-Zan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried everything the README suggested (yes i found it) it still runs at 1/2 th speed it should be running and i cant seem to get it to go any faster without lag happening...argh this is irritating...

Reply 13 of 19, by Enker-Zan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, i gave up on the psycho CPU and went to an olde one...even THAT one doesnt run at full speed, i do not know my exact specs on the 1st CPU, but i do the older one's specs:

GFX Card = nVidia GeForce4 MX420
Pentium 4 Proccesor (dont rem specificaly)
80 gig Hard Drive that is 78% full
1 gig of RAM
Running Windows XP service Pack 2

Hopefully thas enough...

Reply 14 of 19, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just tried the shareware version of Blood on my AMD Athlon XP 2400+ at core=auto, cycles=auto and it ran smooth as butter at 320x240, quite fine at 640x480 and it was even playable at 1024x768!

Reply 16 of 19, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Start with a clean dosbox0.72 installation from the official homepage,
especially leave the dosbox.conf clean.
Start dosbox, enter the mounting (nothing more), switch to the blood
directory, configure it (disable sound, set 320x200 vga graphics mode),
then start blood (don't switch to fullscreen).
Report back what fps you get.

Reply 17 of 19, by dooomer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

yeah, and monkeys fly out my butt. the so called 'native' NTVDM experience varies highly for everyone (input lag, lack of network play and crappy sound is not 'well')

Actually I didn't experience any input lag at the two rigs I experimented on. Admittedly it does vary much for other people, according to what I have read elsewhere.

As to the crappy sound, originally I followed the steps in BuildXP, and the sound was choppy, but after following the steps in the tutorial that I linked to in my previous post, there is no problem at all with sound.

Seeing that the author of the first post of this thread seems to be quite desperate, he may be better off giving it a try.

Reply 19 of 19, by doomer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Probably before the reinstall you had a manual cycle/core setting.. which was too low/inappropriate for Blood. In your clean new install, cycles and core is set to auto by default, which in newer dosbox versions (including 0.72) adjusts the speed of most games correctly, thus achieving the best possible result on your computer. And now Blood runs fine for you.