VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Metron4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all, I am having trouble trying to record a movie from "The 7th Guest". Using fraps, the video immediately slows down to unacceptable levels. Using the Dosbox capture utility, the game speed is fine but it does not record the music in the opening cinematic (during the logo and credits). Is there any way to either A.) speed up recording through fraps (I've already tried freeing up computer resources) or B.) getting the sound recorded through Dosbox capture. That music is not MIDI, and I know MIDI doesn't get captured but that's not the problem. Or is there C.) a third option I had not considered.

Much obliged, and let's keep these games alive!

Rob

CPU: Athlon 64FX
RAM: 2GB Corsair
Windows XP Home (stop laughing)

Reply 1 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why would you even want to use Fraps?

CTRL-ALT-F5. No exceptions.

The music is probably CD audio (I don't have ROTH), which does not play in the wave buffer if you are natively playing it

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 6, by Metron4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, I believe you are correct, the music is coming from the CD. So, if this is the reason CTRL+ALT+F5 will not capture the sound, then pardon my ignorance, would this not qualify as an exception to try something else? 😏 I would love it if the Dosbox capture utility worked for me. Would copying and mounting a disc image of the cd solve the problem?

Reply 3 of 6, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

you can setup your soundcard to take advantage of it's full duplex function and record the sound. (refer to manual) oh and like 98% of cards these days support full duplex operation.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 4 of 6, by Metron4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To quote the Three Stooges: SUCCESS! SUCCESS!

I finally got T7G (original DOS version 1.24 05/11/93) working under Dosbox perfectly, no CD running and still hearing the intro music.

I used Alcohol %52 to create an image of Disc One. That created a 704MB bin file. Disc Two kept stalling at 26.1%, so I was only able to copy the contents of that disc. It was important to at least make a bin file of D1 because copying the contents of that disc and trying to mount the folder as a cdrom did not produce the opening music, naturally since it's red book audio. I guess it is important to say that if you don't care to miss the opening music, copying the CD to a folder will still run the game fine after mounting it as a cdrom.

The biggest problem I had was after installing the program through Dosbox, the game kept telling me it couldn't find the sound driver. This turned out to be because of the paths listed in the GROOVIE.INI file in the install directory. It is important to make sure that ProgDir and DataDir have the correct path. I used the fantastic DOSBox Game Launcher v.0.63 to automate the mounting and settings for this game. Image attached, showing the GROOVIE.INI file settings for reference. I played with all the other settings, but the defaults seem to work best (although I did increase the memory size to 32, don't know if that did anything).

Started the game (for the zillionth time) and finally heard the music! I finally, finally have a pure version of one of my favorite games running exactly as it did in 1993.

Attachments

• Filename
    T7G-DBGL.JPG
    File size
    103.21 KiB
    Downloads
    317 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 6, by Mr_Blastman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, digging up this thread. I want to share with the world the beauty of MT-32 music in some old games.

I can get the ctrl+alt+f5 to record the video... but NOT the MT-32 audio that I'm hearing. How do I set up dosbox to do video and the audio from the mt-32? Note: I am using a real MT-32 and it is coming in through my Aux 2 RCA jacks for my SB X-Fi Fatality platinum card.

Reply 6 of 6, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Make a separate thread for stuff that is unrelated. Anyway, you can't do that using DOSBox. You'd have to record and mix in the MT-32 audio separately.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.