VOGONS

Common searches

Swaping Disks during Installs...

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 29, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I always read the entire thread, and you know I mean well.
Anything else I might have to say will be through PM so I don't clutter the thread.

You cannot fall off the floor.
If you look hard enough, you'll find something you don't like.

How to ask questions the smart way
How to become a hacker
How to answer smart-alec questions

Reply 22 of 29, by papazark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but is there a way to actually swap mounted images floppies ?

With a plain 0.72, I tried a naive 'imgmount a img1 img2 -t floppy', and was greeted with a message telling that mounting multiple floppy images is not allowed.

Is this going to change in a near future ? (I couldn't see that in the wishlist thread)

Reply 23 of 29, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I think you can swap the images "beneath" DOSBox by copying a new image onto the mounted image.

Instead of imgmount A img1 -t flopppy do imgmount A imgX -t flopppy and then copy img1 and img2 onto imgX as needed.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 25 of 29, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Renamed? Deleted? Why?
Copy!

Reply 26 of 29, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What version of Windows are you using?

papazark wrote:

etc.

as in copying too, copying over a file is generally not allowed when you're not allowed to delete it since it will also get rid of the contents of the file, and I saw this coming, I just thought maybe DOSBox wasn't like the other programs I've worked with (i.e. any file they use is locked)

You cannot fall off the floor.
If you look hard enough, you'll find something you don't like.

How to ask questions the smart way
How to become a hacker
How to answer smart-alec questions

Reply 27 of 29, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

You tried it general_vagueness?

I am fairly sure it worked for me some time ago, with 2 floppy images. And I am also fairly sure that I helped someone using this procedure on #dosbox IRC not long time ago.

Reply 28 of 29, by papazark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

sorry, it seems to be working 😊

I have been able to copy another file over a mounted image (although other operations were failing)
I can't test with the actual images right now, but I'll do as soon as I can

(for info, I'm using WinXP SP2)

Reply 29 of 29, by papazark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello again

I tried again with my real images, and although I was able to overwrite the file, Dosbox was unable to see the new disk during my installation, even with a Ctrl-F4 (disk label not updated maybe ?)

Finally, I was able to bypass all that by using a 'floppy drive emulator' named 'Virtual Floppy Drive'
I was able to simulate a B: drive in XP and mount it in DosBox as my A drive.
(using mount and not imgmount) and it worked like a charm.

Then I discovered my game wasn't installable using DosBox, but that belongs to another forum

thanks for all your suggestions 😀