VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by nibbtastic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, so here's the sitch:

I am running Mac OS X (v10.3.9) on a 700 MHz PowerPC G3 with 512 MB SDRAM. I downloaded DOSBox (v.72) and followed the instructions, so it now resides in my applications folder. That part was easy--BUT-- when ever I try to start it, I get the following:

"The application DOSBox has unexpectedly quit.

The system and other applications have not been affected.

Would you like to submit a bug report to Apple?
"

That's all, no black box, nothing (well actually, the black box DID appear ONCE, but literally for a fraction of a second). So I checked the README, and it says:

"Q: DOSBox crashes on startup and I'm running arts.
A: This isn't really a DOSBox problem, but the solution is to set the
environment variable SDL_AUDIODRIVER to alsa or oss."

First off, I don't know what "arts" is, but I don't think I'm running it. Secondly, what is the the "environment variable SDL_AUDIODRIVER" and how and where do I change it to "alsa or oss?"

Any and all help in remedying my problem and helping me get DOSBox running would be greatly appreciated.

Reply 1 of 4, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Think the release build doesn't run G3, only G4 or whatever that is.
There should be a thread around on the forum about that issue,
if i remember correctly a build for G3 has been created by somebody.

Reply 3 of 4, by darkgamorck

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah I wouldn't bother with DOSBox on a G3 anyway. I remember last time I tried that prior to there being an official OS X port and that was horrid. At least on a 600mhz iBook it was quite bad. Not worth the effort.

EDIT: On and fyi, arts has nothing to do with OS X. Arts is an audio daemon that runs on Linux in the KDE desktop environment. So that has pretty much nothing at all do with you or your situation which has been clearly explained above.