VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 28, by almeath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just tried setting fullscreen=original in the prefs file, but there is no change unfortunately.

fullscreen=original
fulldouble=true
fullresolution=1280x1024
windowresolution=original
output=opengl

aspect=false
scaler=hq2x forced

Reply 21 of 28, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

almeath - may I suggest that you try another game? Unless this "Conquests of Camelot" is a free game, there is not a big chance that anyone here can try to reproduce the problem on their system.

I suggest Alien Carnage. It is interesting because it features a number of round objects (logos and planets) that should be circular but I have never managed to get them all circular with the same settings - some will be circles, other ovals.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 22 of 28, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
IIGS_User wrote:

Fullscreen=original means, DOSBox tries to find the best resolution the game asks for.

Soooorry, my mistake, Fullscreen=true/false, not original.
I wanted to write Fullresolution=original.

😵

Klimawandel.

Reply 23 of 28, by almeath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Aha!

"Fullscreen=original" seems to have fixed the problem.

...at least in full screen mode.

DOS prompt:

http://www.eftel.com/~almeath/temp/dosbox/dos3.jpg

In the game:

http://www.eftel.com/~almeath/temp/dosbox/dos4.jpg

I still get the "shrinking" window effect when playing a game in windowed mode, but I am happy enough to have things working properly in full screen mode, as that is the mode I will almost always be using to play games.

The only remaining issue then is whether you want to consider support for some extra resolutions in the next version of Dapplegrey, such as 1650x1080. However I still get graphic distortions when setting this resolution manually in the preference file. To be honest the difference is so small for taking up that extra bit of screen space that it is not really a big deal.

Thank you very much to all those who contributed to this thread and helped me get to the bottom of this.

😀

Reply 24 of 28, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I don't know this Dapplegray frontend, and don't know if it is possible for the user to change the available values. You might want to try the DBGL frontend. It is written entirely in Java, so it will run on anything with a modern version of Java. With DBGL you can easily change all the available values.

You don't have to use DBGL, but it is always good to check out alternatives, and see how other people solved a given problem.

Reply 25 of 28, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
almeath wrote:

whether you want to consider support for some extra resolutions in the next version of Dapplegrey, such as 1650x1080. However I still get graphic distortions when setting this resolution manually in the preference file. To be honest the difference is so small for taking up that extra bit of screen space that it is not really a big deal.

After reading this thread, I got ideas what I could add to the display area. This is a draft of upcoming v2.0 now, which lists some options to the screen modes (to the left the fullscreen area):

• As game will request (formerly known as 'original')
• Current display setting (which is your current Mac setting)
• Extended list of fixed values

Attachments

• dg_displ.png
    Filename
    dg_displ.png
    File size
    51.54 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Draft of Display settings in dg2
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Klimawandel.

Reply 26 of 28, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

IIGS_User: Be aware, that every time you translate the original DOSBox settings into some supposedly more user-friendly (like original => As game will request) you also reduces the chances of the user being understood and helped by other DOSBox users. You are in all intents and purposes inventing a new language for the Dapplegrey users, a language non-Dapplegrey users will not understand.

Edit: Fixed now => not. Thanks IIGS_User.

Last edited by MiniMax on 2008-03-03, 17:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 28 of 28, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MiniMax wrote:

IIGS_User: Be aware, that every time you translate the original DOSBox settings into some supposedly more user-friendly (like original => As game will request) you also reduces the chances of the user being understood and helped by other DOSBox users. You are in all intents and purposes inventing a new language for the Dapplegrey users, a language non-Dapplegrey users will now understand.

Do you mean 'now' or 'not`? 😉

almeath wrote:

Couldn't that be addressed by labeling it as:

Original (as game will request)

Thank you Minimax & Almeath, these are perfect replies. 😀

While you wrote your comments, I added subtitles to the options:

Attachments

• fsres.png
    Filename
    fsres.png
    File size
    12.87 KiB