VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Demarche

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings.

I'm wanting to use multiple dosbox.conf (AKA "DOSBOX Preferences") files in OSX. I know this is possible, but I'd prefer to do it without A) using terminal to start dosbox with the -conf switch, or B) using one of the front ends. Is there a way to add switches to an alias in the same way they can be added to a program shortcut in Windows?

My goal: I'm setting up multiple games for a non-technical Mac user and want to make 2-click shortcuts that mount the drive(s), swap to the proper directory, and launch the game in question without requiring the use of a front end.

EDIT: possible perhaps to create some sort of file that runs pre-set terminal commands? I just don't want to force this person to open terminal and type in it; if I could imbed an alias with commands to open DOSBOX in terminal with the -conf switch it would be great.

Reply 1 of 2, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Yep - create a small file with the instructions in. You can make them really simple, or you can make them really complex (like automatically locate the newest installed version of DOSBox, or accepting additional parameters like a 4th config-file).

The simple version that will allow you to add additional parameters would be a file (a shell script) that looks like this:

#!/bin/sh

/path/to/your/dosbox -conf /path/to/conf1 -conf /path/to/conf2 "$@"

Make the script executable (in a terminal window, do chmod a=rx,u+w /path/to/script) and then make an alias or whatever you need to make it appear as an icon on the desktop.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions