VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by PHANTOM NORTH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I purchased Ultimate Doom off of Steam and it was working flawlessly for a while and then a week or 2 ago I started having problems with the sound being choppy, hiccups every couple of seconds, and the CPU usage going up into the 50+% range when Dosbox is running the game. This also happens when I try to run Hexen. As soon as I exit out of the game and Dosbox closes, the CPU usage goes back to normal. Ive tried doing the 'core-dynamic and cycles-max' settings and it changes nothing. Can anybody suggest anything else I can try? Thanks

system:

core 2 duo e6600
2gb crucial ballistix
DFI dk t2rs
bfg 8800 gtx oc2
emu 0404 soundcard
corsair HX620 PSU
windows xp sp2

Reply 3 of 17, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Solving a sudden decrease in system performance by pointing to some game ports? Hm.

Any way check your system with some antivirus suite, verify that the fans are
working correctly, monitor the system's heat transportation etc.

Reply 4 of 17, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Grab Sysinternal's procexp.exe(now at Microsoft, it's free) to see which process is pulling the 50% load, or use the not as good built in windows process viewer:) That will at least tell you if it's some scenario like wd has described or is in fact DOSBox.

Reply 5 of 17, by PHANTOM NORTH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Its definitely dosbox causing the issue. If I look next to dosbox in the windows process viewer when I have a game running, its using the most memory out of anything else. And as I said before, everything clears up ass soon as I close dosbox.

As far as the problem being heat, virus, or fans, I dont believe thats the issue as I have plenty of other high end games and they all work flawlessly. UT3, CoD4, etc...

I've used doomsday before back in the day to play doom 2 and its actually pretty cool. I downloaded it again so that I could at least play the game in the meantime. I do like playing the game in its original form though which is why I created this thread in the first place. So I would like to get the problem resolved...

thanks

Reply 6 of 17, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Only when running a game?

Tried unplugging your USB devices? Mouse, joystick, keyboard...

Did something update your graphics drivers? Try switching output mode in DOSbox.

And which DOSBox are you running? The hacked version that comes with Steam, or an locally installed copy?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 7 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I do like playing the game in its original form though

Like on a 384/486 with a CRT monitor? You cannot play a game in an emulator and expect to play it "in it's original form". Mabye a close aproximation but not "in it's original form".

Last I heard the version of DosBox packaged with the games on Steam was kind of old. I don't keep up with Steam so I don't know if they've updated it recently or not. The latest version of DosBox available from the DosBox website is 0.72.

/EDIT MiniMax beat me.

Damn you MiniMax! Damn you to hell! 😀

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 17, by PHANTOM NORTH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok not the "original form" but more in its original form than with Doomsday on top of it...

Ive been using the version that comes with the game off Steam which is .71

Lemme try a few more things...

Reply 9 of 17, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

When you say you got it off Steam, I wonder if you're using a version of DOSBox modified by Valve, or downloaded from dosbox.com

If it worked for awhile, but then started having problems at some point, try using a clean conf file or even reinstall DOSBox (preferably the official build). If it has always had the problem, but just takes awhile for it to develop, you could also try binding DOS32A into DOOM.EXE; but I wouldn't have high hopes of that resolving the kind of problem you describe.

edit: heh, too slow... jinx?

Reply 10 of 17, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Damn you MiniMax! Damn you to hell! 😀

Been there, didn't like the place, returned to haunt VOGONS.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 12 of 17, by PHANTOM NORTH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When you download the game off steam, it comes with version .71 of dosbox.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game through steam which deletes all the content including the conf file.

Reply 13 of 17, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

could you attach the configfile used by the dosbox ?

I thought that steam had updated the dosbox version to 0.72 nowadays.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 14 of 17, by PHANTOM NORTH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Heres the conf file. The only thats been edited is the CORE and CYCLES entries. Everything else should be default values.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox conf.txt
    File size
    7.05 KiB
    Downloads
    163 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 15 of 17, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your machine is more than sufficient to run the game. Your config seems to be OK.

You probably don't want to hear that, but i think you should contact Valve's customer support. I mean, they sold you the product, and they got money from you, so they are responsible for supporting "their" product. AFAIK, nobody knows if they've changed DOSBox' code.

An alternative would be to use an "official" DOSBox version, downloaded from the DOSBox website. It should be easy to use your existing config and data files with that DOSBox version.

Btw, i remember a lenghty thread about Valve's "DOSBox version". At that time, we were discussing how support requests regarding that version should be handled. I think that, at that time, Valve didn't have any contact to the DOSBox devs, so the tenor was to redirect requests to Valve.

Reply 16 of 17, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

for the sake of testing:

• download 0.72 from dosbox.com
  • leave all settings at default!
  • try to run the game.

if it is still slow:

• change output to overlay in dosbox.conf
  • try run the game

As far as I know doom is protected mode so core=auto and cpu=auto should be fine

Addict The dosbox code they use is unmodified.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 17 of 17, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

and it was working flawlessly for a while and then a week or 2 ago I started having problems

Any way check your system with some antivirus suite, verify that the fans are
working correctly, monitor the system's heat transportation etc.