VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Anamon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I have a weird problem with DOSBox on my Linux System.

I am using Ubuntu Linux 7.04 Gutsy with the GNOME Window Manager. My notebook has an ATI Mobility X600 graphics card, for which I have installed the proprietary drivers. I also have Compiz-Fusion installed and running, on top of XGL, because it won't run on AIGLX with my display driver.

I have tried running DOSBox in "surface" and "overlay" display modes. Both run fine essentially, but once I switch to fullscreen, I encounter a huge drop in performance. Even in text adventures the lag between typing and characters appearing on screen makes them almost unplayable.

The "opengl" and "openglnb" options do not have that problem, performance is perfect, as is fullscreen scaling. Everything as it sould be. Except that, whenever I run DOSBox, two windows are opened instead of one. Both say "DOSBox" in the title bar, although the first one stays blank while only the second one displays the DOSBox screen. I can play my games like that allright, but the problem is that after I quit DOSBox, the first, blank window does not close. In fact, it has an annoying "always-on-top" property that makes it impossible to do anything else after I have used DOSBox.

I have searched "ps -A" for anything DOSBox-related still running, but couldn't find anything. The only solution I have found was to just reboot the X-server.

Has anyone else encountered this? How can I get rid of that extra window?