VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by semester

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I find that my video audio is out of sync, I am using DOSbox 0.72. I am sure I could seperate the two streams with 3'rd party software, recompile them in sync, sure, but can't this be avoided. I read that .06? had this issue, I take it this has not be subsequently fixed?

Anybody, thanks.

Reply 1 of 15, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh dear... What do you mean, "not in sync"? I think you mean while recording a video, but that's just a guess. Describe your problem, system. DOSBox settings, etc. .

Reply 2 of 15, by semester

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry. While playing a game in DOSbox I press a custom key-combo of "ctrl+2" to activate video record. To deactivate this feature I repeat the combo, this works. I am using v0.72 of DOSbox.

However when viewing the video in OS X (using mplayer, which is the only thing that I find works) the sound is out of sync with the video, it is about 3second ahead of the video.

How do I stop this, if possible?

Reply 3 of 15, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm, I'd try the video on another machine (or reboot into Windows) and see if it plays fine there. If it does then you know it's not the video but the player.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 15, by semester

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If I give you my video can you try it for me? Its about 11MB, I dont know if you can tell unless you have played Dungeon Keeper I the game when he noises should occur, but it would be nice if you could try it.

I think Gmail lets me sent 20MB files?

Reply 7 of 15, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

it's been ages since I played this game. However I do notice some stutter in it. This shouldn't be happening in movie recording mode.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 9 of 15, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I would find some free example/demo program so that others can try it out too. Try it out in Windows, Macs, and maybe Linux. See if the problem is consistent across platforms.

See if the problem occurs with all games, or with demanding games only (could be an indication that the CPU is being overtaxed).

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 10 of 15, by semester

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well Dungeon Keeper has to be paid for, but the emulator is free, I do have windows but I just hate it so I'm not going to use it. I don't have linux.

It could be the taxing of the system and so I will try playing other dos games, if this is the case, well... I love the series so much I will just re-encode it with everything in sync. Just like I put up with FireFox's slow-down (but I have 20~ish tabs open) 😀

Thanks, I'll post again after tests on other less demanding games (Menace Amiga "respray")

Reply 11 of 15, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
semester wrote:

Well Dungeon Keeper has to be paid for, but the emulator is free, I do have windows but I just hate it so I'm not going to use it. I don't have linux.

No, but others might have. It no use for you to record Dungeon Keeper and for Joe Random to record audio and video from Death Rally, and then for Joe to claim "It works fine". But if both of you record from the same game/demo, then it makes sense to compare the results.

Last edited by MiniMax on 2008-05-29, 08:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 15, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

fwiw, I'm not seeing any a/v desync with the posted video. At about 39 seconds, something is built, which has a nice sound effect and it is perfectly synchronised with the video for me. Seems to be a playback issue more than a recording issue.

(Ran the video full-screen at 1680x1050 in Vista).

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 13 of 15, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The video is recorded at 70fps. Use virtualdub to reduce the framerate to 35fps and see if a&v are still not in sync. Or use frameskip=1 in dosbox 😀

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 14 of 15, by semester

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, what about this file, its a very low demanding game, but still prooving too much for the video to handle. I'm beginning to think its the player.

Can people please tel me the player and OS they're using thanks. Bare in mind I'm using a Mac and mplayer, any substitutes?

http://rapidshare.com/files/118615712/bonde_003.avi.html

Reply 15 of 15, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Player: Windows Media Player, version 11.0.5721.5230
Player: VLC media player 0.8.6f