Common searches

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=17147

I don't recommend frontends because:

1. I don't use them. (So I can't really recommend them)

2. DOSBox changes rapidly enough that frontends can become obsolete over time. (This does happen)

3. A frontend doesn't help in alot of situations where if they just used DOSBox they would be able to solve their issues alot easier than trying to troubleshoot the frontend and DOSBox.

We've covered this before on these forums. The issue is that these are DOS games and were designed for a DOS environment. Any abstraction away from that environment will involve confusion. The only way to solve this issue is to (using only DOSBox as a solution, not a PORT of the game) is to have ONE frontend per game and certified configurations per game.

Obviously this is alot of work and considering that there are tons of different versions of the same game and no legal consolidated site of DOS games then this may never happen.

We could do this alot easier with free/GPL DOS games though, for "abandonware" or somebody's full version of the game at home we'd just have to slowly provide configs over time.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2008-06-04, 10:24. Edited 2 times in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 13, by t0mme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think a GUI, like the one found in ykhwong's builds, is the way to go. Newbies can have their go at the menu's, while the oldskool power-users can keep to their commands. Dosbox will probably always be a little bit daunting for the newbies as they have to learn a new OS and have to find an optimal .conf for their specific computer.

But hey, I'm happy the way it is now 😀

* Intel Pentium Dual-Core e2180 @ 2Ghz | 3GB Ram | Asus Geforce 9600GT 512MB | Vista Basic *
* AMD Sempron XP 2800+ @ 1,6Ghz | 1GB Ram | SiS M760GX | Windows XP | Linux Mint 8 *
* Dedicated DOS-machine obsolete since DOSBox 0.73 *

Reply 2 of 13, by Sephiroth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been building oen to make things easier while maintaining control of every feature of DOSBox. A lot of newbies won't understand going through a configuration file and changing things for every game they play. That takes time and effort, and it's a lot easier for them to use the frontends out there (and hopefully mine one day) to simply click on their game and have it start running properly right from the get-go.

486 Launcher v2.0 is now under development!

Reply 3 of 13, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Personally, I'm in favour of using frontends. Not only they are easier to setup, if you have several DOS games it's a pain in the a** to remember the correct setiings for every single one of them. I'd rather spend some time taking snaps and creating the profiles, then forget about the whole thing.

I'd be lying if I'd say frontends are "the solution" or that I haven't come across issues while using some of them, but generally speaking they're better than command line.

And I used DOS in the old days an awful lot. I casn't imagine how confusing it can get to the Windows-only generation.

This said, I'm not terribly missing a GUI in DOSBox. Those who want assistants and windows have a great variety of frontends to choose from, and the DOSBox team doesn't need to bother about these issues.

Reply 4 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

i do agree with you generally except for that thedosbox team doesn't have to deal with the frontend issues. When you look at the forum you see the issues creep up here all the time. The worst ones are those caused by old frontends with current dosbox versions. People will run into this all the time 🙁

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 13, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, let me rephrase that, I meant that the DOSBox team can focus on improving the program instead of worrying about building an interface.

But yeah, I have no trouble believing what you say. I'm a regular visitor of abandonware message boards, and many they are still filled with people giving the wrong advice and suggesting the wrong, outdated frontends.

You'd think that by now people should know DBGL is very similar and much better than the Defunct Frontend That Should Not Be Named, but no, they'd refuse to use anything but that one, no matter what.

I even wrote a guide about the whole thing, that can be found in several of those boards, and the management of one of those sites went as far as to replace it with their own guide promoting the use of said outdated program.

Duh.

Reply 8 of 13, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

DBGL. as long as D-fend reloaded changes the default settings of dosbox I wouldn't recommend it (the cycles on 3000 is really bad as it gives the dosbox is slow messages again 😀 We were so happy to be finally slow free messages 😀 )

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 9 of 13, by Sephiroth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried several of them myself and had problems with them all, whether it was missing functionality, just being a pain to use, or physical problems with the software. That's why I've written my own front-end. I even plan on having a game wizard so that a user can answer a few simple questions and it will generate a decent configuration for the game based on the answers, such as CPU, memory, and other requirements.

Reply 11 of 13, by Riyune

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been using D-Fend Reloaded with very few problems. I like it over raw DOSBOX because I have both VGA and Tandy games running. This way I can run them all without editing the config. There is an occasional game that needs a setting tweak in D-Fend, but not in DOSBOX alone. One I recall was Primal Rage. But at least a dozen other games have run fine with the defaults.

Jesus loves you, unless you have tatoos. Then you are going to hell.

Reply 12 of 13, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Speaking of frontends, what about removing outdated ones from the DOSBox download page?

I think, the following frontends could be removed, because they don't have been updated for years now:
Radnor
DOSBoxer (Jaeger Tech, download seems removed)
Petit DOSBox

I'm not sure about the following entries:
RobyDOSBox
DBoxFe
DBFrontend

-> Keep the download list short! 😉

Klimawandel.

Reply 13 of 13, by Sephiroth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Neville wrote:

Do you plan to release it to the general public?

Sorry I haven't checked this thread in a while. Yes it is already available to the public, and is only in beta because I have not added one-click joystick support. I am trying to figure out how to query the OS to discover which (if any) joysticks are attached to the system so that he user may simply select one and go. You can find links to the program and the default configurations in my signature. The program is very stable, and allows a large number of configuration options with a point-and-click interface. Each game stores its own information, such as memory needed, video-type, core-type, cycles, etc. Check it out if you want, it stores all of its settings in "486.cfg", and does not touch your registry.