VOGONS

Common searches

mouse controlling in dosbox

Topic actions

First post, by v0g0ns

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, im not sure if this is a problem related to dosbox specifically, but here it goes. When i play rise of the triad on dosbox, since its the only good way to play rott online so far, mouse movement is very crappy. When im moving around the level, the screen suddenly looks down, and i have to move the mouse many times to get it looking straight ahead. Im not sure if this is a problem specific to dosbox as i said before, because winrottgl has the same situation. I've tried adjusting the mouse acceleration and related, but nothing. Can someone help?
thanks

Rise of the Triad forum

Reply 1 of 25, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's ROTT. The mouse is supposed to be shitty because mouse people didn't use mice for those games. Use the keyboard like your supposed to. If that isn't good enough for you then use Winrott and complain to the dev of that program.

Usually when the screen changes rapidly due to mouse movement it's because of the mouse settings or a screwed up mouse as well so it may not be just the game.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 25, by v0g0ns

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I dont believe that. Im told by other rott players that they are able to play ROTT.EXE with mouse and mouselook enabled fine with no problems. Its got to be something else.

Rise of the Triad forum

Reply 3 of 25, by Sephiroth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Let me install it and I'll have a config for you in five minutes. ROTT works FINE with the mouse.

Use a dynamic core with cycles set to max. I had to redo every single keyboard control due to it being the old style, but it runs beautifully on my machine with those settings. I gave it 16MB of RAM because I thought it used the Build Engine, but was apparently mistaken.

Oh and if it seems laggy, it is probably due to encapsulating IPX packets in UDP packets and sending them over the net to somebody with a low up or down speed.

486 Launcher v2.0 is now under development!

Reply 4 of 25, by v0g0ns

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cool Sephiroth!! Thanks a lot man! Yea, rott has its own engine, made from a heavily modified wolf3d engine. Which brings me about another question. Its kinda important for me, since I have a site about rott and imodifications to it. Since rott is GPL, but its heavily based on wolf3d, which isnt, is there a problem there? Kind of like with duke3d being GPL but build engine itself not.
thanks again!

Rise of the Triad forum

Reply 5 of 25, by Sephiroth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You cannot give out copies of either game for free, as that is piracy, but playing it yourself if you own an original copy is fine. I couldn't find my ROTT CD (it is most-likely with my other DOS games in a box under my bed) but I had my Duke3D CD here so I installed the shareware version to test the setup.

Keep in mind, almost every game out there runs best with a dynamic core and max cycles. Only older games that are dependent on a specific CPU speed fail under the max cycles setting.

Reply 6 of 25, by v0g0ns

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah ok, thanks for the dynamic core and max cycle suggestions. What I meant was not giving out copies of either game's assets. I know its illegal. I mean, would there be any problems in the source code of rott, which is GPL, with the original wolf3d source code, which isnt?
thanks

Rise of the Triad forum

Reply 11 of 25, by Sephiroth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, but auto gives me hell in a variety of games because of the switching. In my experience, it is best to use a specific core instead. Normal and full are wonderful, but they don't push as many cycles. Dynamic seems to work with almost everything, and can push upwards of 80000 cycles on my older CPU. The configurations I use are setup to use the most basic core possible while emulating the system at the correct speed, unless the game is modern enough to use framerate independent mvoement, in which case I simply use max cycles.

Reply 12 of 25, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Yes, but auto gives me hell in a variety of games

It works just fine for a hell of a large number of games.
Of course there are a handful of games that run better with
changed cycles instead of =auto, same for the core.
And for rott i don't see any reason to deviate from the default.

Reply 13 of 25, by Sephiroth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, it may work for you but the OP apparently got a fix by running it the way I recommended. I have also used the auto core and/or cycles and across my systems it gives varying results, which isn't good. I mean Duke3D works great with an auto core on this desktop, but it fails miserably on the laptop and my friend's system. This is why when I give advice on configurations, I give one that I am almost positive will work on all systems as I have tested it on two or more of my own and found it to perform the same on them.

Not trying to put down the automatic feature, but it causes variance across hardware for some reason, and I won't give it my personal recommendation.

Reply 16 of 25, by Sephiroth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You mean for DOSBox or for my front-end? I don't think I included the ROTT config with the rest of my front-end configs. I'll PM you the configuration my front-end generates for ROTT, which runs fine on all my systems.

Reply 17 of 25, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Not trying to put down the automatic feature

But you do if you arbitrarily post to not use it without a reason.
If it fixes a problem, post it, otherwise have people use the defaults
which are known to work for a large number of games.

Reply 18 of 25, by Sephiroth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Again, I have yet to have it work, and I am in the process of helping another guy who is attempting to run Daggerfall and having issues due to the core and cycles being set to auto. Instead, it sets his cycles to either 2500 or 3000 and leaves them there permanently, and the game drags. It's a good idea, but with my older games the games speed up and slow down randomly (core or cycle changes) and more modern ones run great until I reach an area where the game doesn't need many cycles so it slows down, then when I need more cycles it drags for a few seconds while figuring out how many cycles I need. It's almost like speed changes on a laptop processor, but it takes too long.