VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by jcdutton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Is it possible to use dosbox over ssh, but without a X display?
I.e. Only permit text modes in dosbox, and therefore dosbox would only have to send ascii code updates to the screen, instead of bitmaps when the screen gets updated.
Something like a ncurses output for dosbox, instead of vga would be nice.

Reply 2 of 13, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Why do you want to do this?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 13, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
leileilol wrote:

It'd be cool to play text games in pure text mode.

Why would you want to play in pure text mode?

Reply 5 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MiniMax wrote:
leileilol wrote:

It'd be cool to play text games in pure text mode.

Why would you want to play in pure text mode?

Why require the start of an X server to just only play text mode games?

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 13, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Why not?

Reply 9 of 13, by jcdutton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I want this because I have a DOS program that only used text mode. I am currently running it remotely over an X session, but it uses a lot of bandwidth on the network. dosemu is not able to run this application for some unknown reason.
If dosbox could instead only send the text chars from the text mode, much less bandwidth could be used. I know that when a VGA card is run in text mode, the characters are stored in video memory as chars, and not bitmaps.

Reply 12 of 13, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
jcdutton wrote:

I am currently running it remotely over an X session, but it uses a lot of bandwidth on the network.

Ahh!!! FINALLY valid reason for wanting to use text-mode only instead of "It would be cool!!!"

I am not up to date on how well X-traffic is normally compressed, but check if you have an option somewhere in the X-server for compression.

If not, try running your X-session over an SSH-tunnel with compression enabled in SSH.

Or, try VNC. VNC might be more effective when it comes to screen updates.