VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Ikrananka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is it possible to setup D-Fend Reloaded such that multiple users (via their own logins) on the same PC see the same games list and have the same settings? What I'd like to be able to do is to administrate the games setup under one or any login such that any changes affect all users.

Reply 1 of 5, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I do not know about DFR, but with DBGL it is certainly possible. It might take some tweaking, it will be a hassle to prevent the users from accessing the same save-games, but it is possible.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 5, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi Ikrananka,

if you install D-Fend Reloaded in "Program directory mode" all user will share the same settings and installed games. But (at least under Vista or under XP in non-admin mode) you will have to take care all users have the permission to write to the D-Fend Reloaded program directory.

If you want to use the normal "User profile mode", you can still store your games in any directory (including something like C:\Users\Public\Games). By setting the "games directory" in the setup dialog to this common directory, it will be offered in the profile editor as the default place for games. But the profiles will be individual per user in this mode, so you will need to copy them to each user profile. (In this mode you won't have to worry about write permissions, because there will be no write operations in the program directory.)

You can also install DFR in portable mode into a common directory (like C:\Users\Public\D-Fend Reloaded). Using a portable installation in this directory means all user will share everything and you do not need to care for write permissions - but you will not get a start menu item from the installer, so you will need to create a link in the start menu on your own.

Reply 4 of 5, by Ikrananka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Alexander wrote:
Hi Ikrananka, […]
Show full quote

Hi Ikrananka,

if you install D-Fend Reloaded in "Program directory mode" all user will share the same settings and installed games. But (at least under Vista or under XP in non-admin mode) you will have to take care all users have the permission to write to the D-Fend Reloaded program directory.

If you want to use the normal "User profile mode", you can still store your games in any directory (including something like C:\Users\Public\Games). By setting the "games directory" in the setup dialog to this common directory, it will be offered in the profile editor as the default place for games. But the profiles will be individual per user in this mode, so you will need to copy them to each user profile. (In this mode you won't have to worry about write permissions, because there will be no write operations in the program directory.)

You can also install DFR in portable mode into a common directory (like C:\Users\Public\D-Fend Reloaded). Using a portable installation in this directory means all user will share everything and you do not need to care for write permissions - but you will not get a start menu item from the installer, so you will need to create a link in the start menu on your own.

Forgo to ask. So if I set DFR up in "Program directory mode" does this create a profile file that could later be used in a "User profile mode"? What I'm thinking is say I set DFR in "Program directory mode" but later wanted to change to "User profile mode" could I just copy the profile file, reinstall in "User profile mode" and copy the profile file to each user as the starting point for each user to customise? Hope this makes sense.

Reply 5 of 5, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ikrananka wrote:

Forgo to ask. So if I set DFR up in "Program directory mode" does this create a profile file that could later be used in a "User profile mode"?

Yes, if you are using relative path names in your profiles you just need to copy the following folders from the program folder of your old installation to the profile folder (C:\Users\you\D-Fend Reloaded) of your new installation:

• Capture
  • Confs
  • GameData
  • IconLibrary
  • VirtualHD

If you don't have any icons in the IconLibrary folder, you can leave this out of course. (The same for the GameData folder if you don't have any game specify data in your profiles and the Capture folder if you don't have any captured screenshots, sounds or videos.)