VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by redbear

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have question.

I Installed SEF2000 v 2.0 3dfx for DOS it run. Well enter the menu with the profile i created with D.O.G, but when i will load a mission the game crash

I think is because the 3dfx is not implemented with in the game in dos mode how do i configure the Dosbox conf file to run a dos 3dfx game. I have read in anothe post that it could be done replacing the Glide2.dll file with Dgvoodoo. how can be done that and also i have check the DOSbox directory and there wasn't that file I am using the DOSbox 0.72.

I am runnig some games using glide wrapper but it is just for windows not dos

well so any idea will be welcome

Thanks.

Reply 3 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gulikoza wrote:

EF2000 won't work. Not unless somebody writes a complete voodoo hardware emulation.

i'd love to see that. Slow and hard to do but someone's got to preserve the bad voodoo rendering habits of line dithering and blurry hardware mipmapping before the mists of time kill all the voodoo cards on the planet.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 11, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm no MAME dev guru, but AFAIK, MAME doesn't use 3D hardware acceleration at all, which means one needs a _very_ beefy machine to run demanding 3D games. I'm not sure why MAME is developed that way, but i think it's part of the basic set of MAME philosophies ("preservation before playability").

The DOSBox 3DFX emulation is much more "usable" for the casual user, as it does use 3D hardware acceleration. If i got that right, DOSBox acts more like a wrapper/mapper than a "real" emulator in that respect.

The real question is: is it possible to improve the current GLIDE emulation? Reading Gulizoka's comment, it seems that might be a problem...

Reply 8 of 11, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Of course it doesn't use 3D acceleration...I'd be surprised if it would. Writing an emulation like that would require mapping low level hardware calls (the ones game sends to the emulated card) to opengl/direct3d high level calls.
Dosbox "emulation" simply forwards high level glide calls to the host system, where they are handled by a wrapper. For that to work, you have to replace DOS glide library (glide2x.ovl) with one that is dosbox aware. Some games are statically linked with glide library and are directly communicating with the voodoo board, so they don't work with the current emulation. If somebody wants to write a true emulation, bug wd to add PCI bus to DOSBox, I have a feeling it won't work otherwise 😉

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 11 of 11, by redbear

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well i have unistall the 3dfx version and install one Dos vertion that was inside the taccom folder and it works fine not a fancy grapihcs but i am interesting in the campaing of the game i could live with those graphics.