VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Zpyke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This doesn't pertain to dosbox, but even when using it I get the problem.

OK, so some games I've figured out how to load, each in a different way, including dosbox. No matter what method I use, however, I never have sound. Sound works with my speakers or headphones on all other applications, so I'm wondering why it has problems here. I can't stand playing old games like Shadow Warrior without sound because it deteriorates the experience.

If anyone has any information that can help me, that would be great. And if this message seems messy, forgive me, as I've never used BBS code, and so didn't want to bother messing with it. 😒

Reply 2 of 14, by Zpyke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Same as any dos game I have. Soundblaster 16, or Pro if that doesn't work. The funny part about the setup or installer executables, is that sound works fine, or choppy on them. But the games themselves have no sound at all... No music either, but I was including that in sound.

Reply 4 of 14, by Zpyke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I usually leave those at default, as I'm no guru at sound and video. I did match it up with dosbox before coming here. No results. These games used to work fine on my win98. Now I re-install on my XP and no sound. Strange. And I've gotten Elder Scrolls Arena to work without dosbox, and that had no sound either.

I remember before I had service pack 2, about 5 or 6 years ago when I first got my new (new-old now...) computer, and it was XP home, or the equivalent, I could still run DOS games without dosbox or any other download. They didn't have sound then either. This IS a different computer than the one that had win98 on it. Maybe there's just some hardware malfunction? But sound works for all my other games...

Reply 5 of 14, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Many dos games don't have sound under XP, check out vdmsound for that
though that is unmaintained.
If your soundcard (under XP) is working it should not be a problem to get
sound of dos games working through dosbox, assuming you installed the
games correctly within dosbox and configured the sound accordingly.

Reply 6 of 14, by Zpyke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What if, in the case of Shadow Warrior and Arena, they're just zip files for extracting? That's all I have from my original games. That's my original installer.

Also, I just have an integrated sound card. I'm not sure what it is, but I have no sound card from a store, just standard PC sound. Works fine for Games like Total War or Sims. Would it pose a problem for DOS games?

And what is this vdmsound that you refer to?

I know these games that I have, and tested, have sound: Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, Quake, (let's skip past the fps's...) Elder Scrolls: Arena, Sherlock Holmes, SimCity, and Commander Keen series. (And more, but my memory fails me.) If anyone else has sound for these games, then it must be something on my end, either my machine or a conflicting file. But I had no sound even before reformatting awhile back, so I'm still clueless.

Reply 7 of 14, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Search on vogons or google for vdmsound.

You should definitely get sound for the keen games, check the initial screen
whether sound/adlib is selected (to assure the emulation side is correct).
That works pretty much out of the box normally, so check the settings of
your directx installation (sound acceleration or what's available in dxdiag)
and be sure to use the latest dosbox version.

Reply 8 of 14, by Zpyke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, so I got sound on Shadow Warrior and others now. Arena still has no sound, though. I'm going to do like the others, and just try all settings. I did match the IRQ and others, but Arena is the one I'm focusing on right now. I know it has sounds because it has a setup for sound and music. I'll also take a look at vdmsound.

I'll try in an hour or so. I have a previous meeting to attend to. I'll send another update then.

Reply 9 of 14, by Zpyke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So basically VDMSound is another emulator? Either way, I tried it, and it runs it, with no sound. It also doesn't work with the mouse like dosbox does. At this point I have no idea what could be wrong. I doubt that Arena itself is the source of the problems, as the game is given away free from the company's site as an anniversary promotion.

Any ideas? Have you ever personally ran Arena? If sound works for you and everyone else, then it's my side. If you don't get sound, then maybe it's compatibility with the emulator, or a problem with the game itself. I'll await further input from people who have knowledge of this stuff. (I never had problems, and my old computer worked fine with picking ANY soundcard under games executable setup file.)

Reply 10 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Operating system?
DOSBox?
DOSBox version?
Name of game? Choose just one please.

Then read my 60 Seconds Guide to DOSBox (and don't just read it - follow it too).

If that doesn't help, come back with details on how you mounted your C and D drives, how you did the install, how you configured sound, music etc.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 11 of 14, by Zpyke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I wouldn't seek help unless I've tried what I personally know. I know how to use dosbox and all that, as I've used it before and just listened to winamp music instead or something. But now, Arena is a game I haven't played before, so I'd like to hear it.

I match everything on the setup with the soundblaster settings for dosbox, that being IO 220, IRQ 7, DMA 1. No result unfortunately. I am using the new SP 3 for XP, but had experienced the problem, with the above mentioned games, on the older versions of XP as well. That's Windows XP if by some chance I need to clarify. I installed it just as the official site and forums said to, which was to just start up the self-extractor. I could probably run it through dosbox, opening up the zip file from from there, (I saw an option for that in the readme.) and install that way, but I don't see how that would change any of the files or compatibility.

Oh, and I'm using version 0.72 of dosbox. Hope this helps. I'm done for today, and shall retire. I will chat with you tomorrow, then. Night. (At least here it is.)

Reply 12 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Just remember, it is you that need help, not me that needs to help.

Reply 13 of 14, by Zpyke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I meant help you help me.

Of course I'm the one that is asking. I just want to play my game with sound. I don't understand why Arena is giving me so much trouble though. None of the other games are giving me trouble anymore.

Reply 14 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Then stroke my ego a bit an answer my questions.

Name of game?
Exact mounting used while installing and while attempting to play it?
Mounting an CD or an image?

If you feel like it, download the heavy-debug version of DOSBox and try running the game with that. The debug-console might hint at what is wrong.