VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by semester

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a new, well until a few days ago, Jan 2008 MacBook and can easily find the "~" tiddle key located at the bottom left of my keyboard but apparently on older keyboards the key is not printed.

How do I get the "~" tiddle key in DOSbox under OS X? I tried importing from the Character Palette but it will not and c&p will not either, I remember there were key combos under windows but holding Alt does nothing under OS X..

Reply 1 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This should be in the DOSBox forum. This forum is for emulating old Mac hardware, not emulating other platforms on a newer Mac.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 8, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just in case somebody searches for the thread, the proper name of the character is "tilde".

Anyhow, you should be able to change the keyboard mappings. The default keyboard combo to get to the keymapper is Ctrl-F1, which I assume is available under OSX too.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 3 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Moved

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 8, by semester

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry I thought the whole board was dedicated to DOSbox, anyway, good to learn the actual name of the key!

The tilde key should be on all Mac Keyboards I think, shouldn't it. Unlike the hash key "#"

Reply 5 of 8, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On the Mac, the usual way is to press the Option Key + N, sometimes called Alt+N

While in DOSBox, you have to activate the num key (F6), then to hold down the Option Key (Alt Key) and while holding it down, press 1 2 6 on the numeric key pad to get the tilde sign.

Klimawandel.

Reply 6 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
IIGS_User wrote:

While in DOSBox, you have to activate the num key (F6), then to hold down the Option Key (Alt Key) and while holding it down, press 1 2 6 on the numeric key pad to get the tilde sign.

Sounds clumsy. How do you write an ñ then?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 8 of 8, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MiniMax wrote:

Sounds clumsy. How do you write an ñ then?

Outside of DOSBox, I type alt+n+n to get ñ.
Within DOSBox, I've to activate the Num key pad like before, and to type alt+1+6+4.

As far as I know, but I'm not a long-time DOS user, this is the usual way to enter special chars in DOS. 😐

I saw the 1-6-4 in the ascii chart here:
http://www.tcp-ip-info.de/tcp_ip_und_internet/ascii.htm

Klimawandel.