VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Perplexia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm just wondering if there's a way to make the cd audio in dosbox louder. When I adjust the mixer volumes for both the specific soundcard I'm using, namely Soundblaster, and also the master volume, it changes the volume effects in the game, but it does not affect the cd audio level when the game simply plays music off the cd.

Reply 1 of 5, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

DOSBox can only control the volume of CD images mounted with IMGMOUNT. You won't see the cdaudio volume listed by the mixer until you mount an image. If you MOUNT a CD device external to DOSBox (such as a real optical drive or virtual device like Daemon Tools), you'll have to adjust the volume with external controls, e.g. the sound volume controls in Windows.

Reply 3 of 5, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
wd wrote:

Next version might provide similar capabilities for real cdroms, too.

That would be convenient. Windows can have separate mixer inputs for digital and analog CD audio connections; I guess depending on your sound card and drivers... would they be treated separately, or both set the same according to a single setting in DOSBox? A similar ability to set the MIDI volume from within DOSBox would also be nice... 😉

Reply 4 of 5, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Supposedly works the same as the cdimage audio stuff (dosbox app volume
for the windows mixer, and CDAUDIO for the dosbox mixer).
MIDI doesn't go through the dosbox mixer afaik so that's not possible.