VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by papazark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello

I saw old thread talking about this, but without any real answers (unless I'm mistaken)

To sum up, I want to edit videos captured in dosbox with virtualdub
My OS is a nice Vista 64 bits ( and I'm happy with it 😀 )
I'm using a plain Dosbox 0.72 for that.

I am able to generate an avi file, and play it flawlessly. (using VLC, WMP, Zoomplayer)
But when I want to open it in virtualdub, the software complains.

As a workaround, I tried it on XP using VirtualPC.
Just by registering the ZMBV codec, virtualdub on xp was able to open the file.

So, the question is:
Was anyone able to open a video captured by DosBox in Virtualdub on a Vista 64 bits ? 😀

Reply 4 of 7, by papazark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks a lot, I found the problem.

Since my config seemed wrong somewhere, I used ProcMon to monitor what Virtualdub was looking for.

And indeed it wasn't finding some registry key related to the zmbv codec.
It seems the installation of the codec went wrong in a certain way, and some key values were inserted in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32 instead of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32

I manually added them and made sure the dll itself could be found by virtualdub et voila, virtualdub is happy

Now why did that happen, I don't know.
Maybe it's related to the fact Dosbox was installed in the 'Program Files' instead of 'Program Files (x86)'

Reply 6 of 7, by lone lee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I seem to have the same problem when using VirtuaDub but I wouldn't know how to correct a registry entry.

Edit: umm actually I attempted to repeat papazark's idea by adding that missing "zmbv.dll" entry to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32, but it didn't change anything. VirtuaDub complain it can't find a decompressor for ZMBV. Any ideas?

I'm using Vista Home Premium 64bit, VirtualDub 1.8.8, already installed ZMBV from the DOSBox program folder (although VLC plays the videos fine installing it or not).