VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by XenXheng

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dosbox can sure emulate a lot of different sound cards! That's neat. I tried to play Monkey Island 2 with Roland, but I found that the quality was inferior to Sound Blaster, so I made a batch file to run the latter.

So what's the difference between all of these different sound cards in terms of quality? I remember being younger and always selecting Adlib or Sound Blaster for my old DOS games, but always looking at the other decisions like Disney Sound Source, Thunderboard and Roland and wondering what they were like. Does anyone have any experience with these other sound cards and what they sound like?

This is just a topic for fun, to share memories of our old times playing these games, and hopefully me getting some insight on these other music and sound cards, if anyone has bought/used them before. 😀

Reply 1 of 2, by kenny120

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

All i remember when I was in the position to purchase a pc, everyone was telling me "only get a sound blaster". I know that the original Sound Blaster helped to create a defacto standard when it came to sound cards and sound formats like .VOC sound files. When the first games to feature "speech" as in people talking, it seems as though sound blaster was the only thing going. Although, my Packard Bell had a "galaxy" sound card. And I remember purchasing an ISA type sound card just to play Ultima 7. I remember listening to Howard Stern and he was promoting a sound card that used wavetable instead of FM synthesis like that ISA card could produce. Thats about all I know.

All that we are .............. â–’DB V.72 for
Is all that you'd love to beâ–’WIN XP
All that we know.............â–’DB V.65 for
Is hate and machinery.....▒Linux Xandros Φ
We're engineers

Gary Numan - The Pleasure Principle

Reply 2 of 2, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DOSBox doesn't emulate a Roland card. Instead (at least on Windows, by default), it passes the MIDI data on to the operating system, which then uses hardware MIDI device or a software synthesizer (difficult to disable the latter on Windows Vista) to play back this MIDI data. Unfortunately, the older Roland cards predate the General MIDI (GM) standard that recent MIDI modules and the software synthesizer use. This means that the instrument selections will differ and quite a few special effects won't be supported. If you do happen to have an actual Roland card/module attached, you'll get the authentic experience. If not, it'll be messed up and FM synthesis may indeed sound better.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.