VOGONS

Common searches

Unique Boxes for each Game?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Vantica

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I hope that this is here the right place...i looked around and did not found a better place, but i have some problem with english boards 😀

To my Question.

I get a Disk with 3 Old Dosgames, Das Schwarze Auge - Nordlandtrilogie (The Dark Eye - Northland Trilogy, i translatet the name free 😀 )
The Newest Game is "The Dark Eye - Drakensang"

The oldgames comes with a technique to use the Dosbox0.72 that i've never seen before.

After the Inistallation each game places a shortcut to the desktop

"G:\Games\Das Schwarze Auge\Schicksalsklinge\Dosbox-0.72\dosbox.exe" -c "mount c 'G:\Games\Das Schwarze Auge\Schicksalsklinge\'" -c "c:" -c "SCHICK.BAT" -conf dosbox.conf -c "exit"

I Tryed to copy and Modify that move for other old games, so that i have only shortcuts left that starts the Game direktly in Unique Boxes...but it didn't work.

After a look in the Gamefolder i found another shortcut....and here it goes realy silly

"I:\Program Files\JoWood\Schicksalsklinge - Teil 1\Dosbox-0.72\dosbox.exe" -c "mount c 'i:\Program Files\JoWood\Schicksalsklinge - Teil 1'" -c "c:" -c "SCHICK.BAT" -conf dosbox.conf -c "exit"

the path "i:\Program Files\JoWood\Schicksalsklinge - Teil 1" is never defined in any configuartion data or in my system. Because the path is invalid, iam unable to copie and save it to another shortcut, or to modify it in a way that makes it usable for other games.
But, i understand that i need both shortcuts, the one on my Desktop and the one in the gamefolder...

If anyone could explain how these trick works and explain in an simple way to copy and modify it for other games i would be glad 😀

Reply 2 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Game was brought to me by a friend, and it is a original...so far, i have not an question to the games itself, i know the ga […]
Show full quote

The Game was brought to me by a friend, and it is a original...so far, i have not an question to the games itself, i know the games well because i have played it 1996 on my first PC with MS-Dos.

What iam interested in is the way how the games made working. Each Game, an own subinstallation from Dosbox0.72, and each Game places a simple shortcut on the Desktop that starts Dosbox and inside Dosbox direktly the Game.

These way to start the games is imho the beatifulest way i've ever seen....much better than the usual way with install and config one Dosbox for all. My own installation of Dosbox has many selfdesignet lines in the [autoexec] area for several games, so far iam mounting by each start seven images, 6 from them are not needet at the time i start one of these 7 games....so how iam able to copy that move to use for each of my old PC games an unique Dosbox with an simple shortcut Happy

So, if you have please the kindness to open my Thread again...i have the hope that anyone out there know the way how Jowood makes this way of runing the game possible.

regards,
Vantica

Please explain how original DOS games can know of the existence of DOSBox? Only if these games were programmed since 2003 can they possibly know of DOSBox.

The only other way (and most likely) is that these are repackaged "abandonware" (or repackaged by a legit publisher) games using DOSBox to make things easier.

Again WE DO NOT SUPPORT ABANDONWARE HERE.

So if you can somehow prove that these are legit games and NOT ABANDONWARE games then this thread can continue.

Mobygames link:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/realms-of-arkania-trilogy

If all you are interested in is to discuss ways to configure your DOSBox configs and how to launch the games easier, then start a seperate theread with a different title that means exactly what your asking for.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2008-12-28, 01:00. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 18, by Vantica

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The DVD is original released by Jowood.

The Nordlandtrilogie, is the series of three classic RPG in the The Dark Eye p&p universe sold under the name Realms of Arkania in the English gaming world.

Yes, this is the DVD my Friend brought me, after i have told him that i tried many times to get my old Original Games Runing in Dosbox. My problem with my old disk are that thay more than 10 years old, and have many scratches....therefore, the art of copy protection was 1994 for the first episode euqual to Monkey Island and other games of that age. With a question that has to be solved with help by the Manual...at my own shamnes, i have the Discs for all three Episodes, but no Manuals or other printware are left in my storage.

My Friend told me that he can simple install from one DVD all three games, and play it over shortcuts from his Desktop. So, I asked him if he can borow me his DVD so i can take a look how they have made the games runing. And *tada* Jowood used the Dosbox0.72 to made it easy. But each game has his own subfolder "DOSBox-0.72" and his own Dosbox.conf in the game root folder.

After many help in your IRC room, i have understood how Jowood had made it with a single shortcut on the Desktop and a unique version of Dosbox0.72 for each game.

Iam able now to dublicate this way to bind a own dosbox on each of my old games, so each game can start with his own private parameters.

It is a beautyful way to use Dosbox.

So far, my question from my first post is solved. But....there is one thing that left a bad taste and that is not realy clear yet.

What means "ABANDONWARE"?

If it means illegal raw copies or such, i should tell that iam against wildly raw copyieng games. I mean that is necessary to buy good products, and each game that has made me so much fun at any time, should be bought by me. Each game, that i have ever borought from one of my Brothers or Friends, and that have brought me so much hours fun like "Das Schwarze Auge - Nordlandtrilogie" had made his way as a Original in to my Collection. Therfore, in the last 4 or 5 years there are far more crap games on the stock than so good games like they are produced in the middle to end of the 90th.

Reply 6 of 18, by Vantica

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have made a screenshot from the diskfolder and the gamefolder...i hope this clears a little bit more.

Attachments

• Filename
    DSA - Nordlandtrilogie.JPG
    File size
    246.08 KiB
    Downloads
    134 downloads
    File comment
    a screenshot for a better explanation
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 18, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Vantica, I think wd was interested in the contents of the DOSBox-0.72 itself. It is perfectly legal to distribute DOSBox with a game, but certain rules need to be followed, e.g. to include the DOSBox copyright notice, license term, an offer to get the source for DOSBox, etc. A look at the DOSBox-0.72 directory will tell wd if the rules were followed.

That aside, it is a brain-dead way of doing the setup if 3 identical copies of DOSBox is needed. It is easy to setup DOSBox so only one EXE is used, yet still use different configurations for each game. Had JoWooD worked with the DOSBox team, they could have helped with all this, ensured that all the required license files were included, and that stupid errors in the setup do not give DOSBox a bad reputation.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 8 of 18, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Thanks for the screenshot, as MiniMax said i'm unsure what exactly to conclude
from the screenshots (the .cab contains some of the necessary files, and the
g:\ is the installation), maybe you can additionally post the content of that
dosbox0.72 directory (is it from a plain 0.72 release?) and the content of the
readme.txt which should be from either the publisher or the game.

Reply 9 of 18, by Vantica

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

maybe you can additionally post the content of that
dosbox0.72 directory (is it from a plain 0.72 release?) and the content of the
readme.txt which should be from either the publisher or the game.

A Screenshot of the thre Dosbox0.72 Folders is attached, but readme files from the games arent any there....i have looked even inside of the images but all i have found was the old readme.bat and these are only readable in Dosbox 😀
If you have meant the dosbox readme, they looks normal to me.

That aside, it is a brain-dead way of doing the setup if 3 identical copies of DOSBox is needed. It is easy to setup DOSBox so only one EXE is used, yet still use different configurations for each game.

It might look like a "brain-dead" way, but i got all my old Dosgames and modified them with one dosbox per game. Now i can repack the games or burn it on a disc and never have to think of it how to get him worked again.
Wanna play one of the games? Copy to harddrive, and start it 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    DSA - Nordlandtrilogie screen2.JPG
    File size
    148.96 KiB
    Downloads
    113 downloads
    File comment
    the three dosbox0.72 folders
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 10 of 18, by dosraider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Vantica wrote:

It might look like a "brain-dead" way, but i got all my old Dosgames and modified them with one dosbox per game. Now i can repack the games or burn it on a disc and never have to think of it how to get him worked again.

And when a new, improved dosbox version is released ......? Yep.

Reply 12 of 18, by dosraider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dh4rm4 wrote:

.72 works fine?....

If I go with you further on this:
A 286+Dos+arachne works fine to browse internet, why should we get a P4?
No reason whatsoever.

I had the chance to do some testruns on what's coming for the next dosbox version, (contrary to you apparently 😏 , and THX again Peter) , and I can assure you: you'd better get it when it's released.

Reply 13 of 18, by Vantica

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've read here some manuals for some games to get worked with Dosbox, and i have many times read that are for some games older Dosbox versions are better. Some games run with Dosbox0.72, other works better with Dosbox0.65. It might sound silly, but in the past ten years that iam working with computers, i have learned that it's sometimes better to stay at a working level or to downgrade, if a upgrade that has made is making trouble.

And sometimes i here the voice of my mentor:

"Never touch a running system"

He had so much right, if anything works fine, dont try to it to work better with an forced upgrade. When it works, let it be how it is.

Reply 15 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Vantica wrote:
I've read here some manuals for some games to get worked with Dosbox, and i have many times read that are for some games older D […]
Show full quote

I've read here some manuals for some games to get worked with Dosbox, and i have many times read that are for some games older Dosbox versions are better. Some games run with Dosbox0.72, other works better with Dosbox0.65. It might sound silly, but in the past ten years that iam working with computers, i have learned that it's sometimes better to stay at a working level or to downgrade, if a upgrade that has made is making trouble.

And sometimes i here the voice of my mentor:

"Never touch a running system"

He had so much right, if anything works fine, dont try to it to work better with an forced upgrade. When it works, let it be how it is.

When it comes to most things people don't know what the hell they are talking about. ALWAYS try the newest version of DOSBox first. After exhausting all options and posting the issue here THEN try the older version.

We've already gone over the "older versions of DOSBox are better" theory. It's mostly false.

Reply 17 of 18, by Vantica

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok, first of all. I've never said that the older versions are better than the new one. But a game could not better run thann 100%, so far, if there ist no need to upgrade for this game, i deside many time to leave it how it is.

But this thread here is mutating into what i call sometimes "shit place" so, i have to decide again.

Also, i whish that this thread are got to be closed. My question could be solved in the first line with many Help in the IRC room. And further diskussion are not need.

regards,
Vantica

Reply 18 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Vantica wrote:

ok, first of all. I've never said that the older versions are better than the new one. But a game could not better run thann 100%, so far, if there ist no need to upgrade for this game, i deside many time to leave it how it is.

Also, i whish that this thread are got to be closed. My question could be solved in the first line with many Help in the IRC room. And further diskussion are not need.

Good idea.

Thread closed.