VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by katie83

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey! I have a Macbook Pro and I'm trying to run various old games through DOSbox (king's quest/space quest) and I keep running into the same problem. Music and sound effects work fine but I can't hear speech. If I turn the speech function on, mouths move but I can't hear anything. I'm not getting the "unable to initialize your audio hardware" message so apparently the game THINKS the sound is working.

I've tried changing all the different sounds blasters and things through the install on the game function, downloaded patches, and looked all over the internet and can't find a solution so much thanks to anyone who can help.

Katie

Reply 1 of 4, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Depends a bit on the KQ/SQ version you want to play. I'm not a PC expert, so i can't help with setting SoundBlaster or similar stuff, but if you plan to run King's Quest 1,2 or 3 or Space Quest 1 or 2, you could try ScummVM without having to set something except to choose the folder with the particular game stuff.

MacFreeSCI enables you to play King's Quest 4 or SpaceQuest 3.
At least, newer KQ/SQ games need to be played with PC emulators like DOSBox and with the help of PC experts... 😉

Klimawandel.

Reply 2 of 4, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ask in the DOSBox forum. This one is is for emulating old Macs, not how to use DOSBox on a Mac.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 4, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Moved

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 4, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This would not be an issue with the AGI games, the only ones supported by ScummVM. Free SCI only has what amounts to experimental support of the VGA SCI games, so neither suggestion is an answer to your problem.

The unable to initialize your audio hardware error is a well known speed bug issue with the Sierra SoundBlaster driver, that plagued many of the earlier VGA SCI games. The solution is very easy. lower your cycles to about 7000-8000. This will also address other timer issues that you might encounter.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers