VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by hasv

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there,

Very good dos emulator tool. Loads of games are support, still some very important ones are still left behind. Is there any work beeing done around this?

Thx in advance.
Hugo

Reply 2 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by hasv Loads of games are support, still some very important ones are still left behind. Is there any work beeing done around this?

"Left behind" is not the proper way to describe it. It's not like an easy thing that they just don't do because they're not in the mood.

Emulation of a PC is horribly complex. It's not like emulating a console, where once you've emulated the hardware, you are basically done (occasional game glitches will appear). There are untold combinations of hardware for a PC, which makes emulating all of the games near impossible.

I don't believe that there is a single PC that can run every single PC game without emulation. I better stop this speech before it gets out of control...*heh*

Reply 3 of 9, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Don't expect miracles from the protected mode support when it will be present. It's very hard to create something that works with everything (for reasons Nicht Sehr Gut described)

Futher will it be likely highly unstable and very slow.
It's a new path that has been taken and it will take time to mature.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 9, by hasv

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, thank you for such a short time response. Well i know it ain't easy. I'm a computer engeneer myself, but about emulating DOS i know nothing about.

I didn't want to make it sound easy, just that i loved DosBox specs that what's really missing are protected mode games.

Good work, and thx again.
Hugo

Reply 5 of 9, by rjpa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
hasv wrote:
Well, thank you for such a short time response. Well i know it ain't easy. I'm a computer engeneer myself, but about emulating D […]
Show full quote

Well, thank you for such a short time response. Well i know it ain't easy. I'm a computer engeneer myself, but about emulating DOS i know nothing about.

I didn't want to make it sound easy, just that i loved DosBox specs that what's really missing are protected mode games.

Good work, and thx again.
Hugo

Try the daily CVS builds over at pixelz.org

/rjpa

Reply 8 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by rjpa Hmm yes there is, such as Connectix Virtual PC, VMWare and Bochs IA32 emulator, just to mention a few.

rjpa. When you post a response like this, it helps to quote what you are responding to...