VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by lone lee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello guys.

I'm trying to capture gameplay video here, from Sid Meier's Covert action. According to Windows Explorer, the resulting file has a resolution of 320x200, and it does look that small when I play it on VLC. I actually play the game scaled up 3x instead though.

So my question is, can I capture it in higher resolution, scaled up perharps?

Thanks in advance.

Reply 2 of 47, by lone lee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, so I'm guessing there's no way to do it directly from DOSBox?

About the VirtualDub suggestion, it's a great program really, but it's not being able to understand my DOSBox ZMBV avi files. I guess I can figure that out though.

Reply 3 of 47, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
lone lee wrote:

So my question is, can I capture it in higher resolution, scaled up perharps?

Why is it that so many people do not understand that bigger pixels != higher resolution?

Reply 4 of 47, by lone lee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MiniMax wrote:

Why is it that so many people do not understand that bigger pixels != higher resolution?

Wow how picky...
I want the video frame to be scaled up, no matter the resolution. As sharp as it is, it's hard to read the texts in modern screens. Happy now?

Reply 6 of 47, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

And if you use the dosbox installer, you also get a zmbv codec installer. With that you can use virtual dub without a problem. Or just maybe vlc can act as a frame server for virtualdub...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 47, by lone lee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

And if you use the dosbox installer, you also get a zmbv codec installer. With that you can use virtual dub without a problem. Or just maybe vlc can act as a frame server for virtualdub...

I did use the DOSBox ZMBV installer, it didn't do the trick. I've seen this problem mentioned elsewhere too (VirtualDub + Vista 64-bit + ZMBV), but no one seems to know how to solve this. I'll test it out in a Vista 32 machine to see what happens.

Dominus gave a good idea too. Can VirtualDub actually capture video off of another application? At any framerate too?

Reply 9 of 47, by lone lee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, yes, didn't serve me though. I might have done something wrong too as I wasn't sure what registry entry was misplaced. But I'm pretty sure I've done exactly the other user mentioned...

Edit: Maybe you can help me out? Know which entry I should change and where, in the registry? *That* wasn't mentioned in that other post, so I could mess only with what little I found myself by guesswork.

I'm running a test on another machine (Vista 32) right now, let's see how it turns out.

Reply 11 of 47, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

As to what I meant with frame server/virtualdub...
No, virtualdub can not screen capture, but I think vlc can be used as frame server and that source can then be used by virtualdub. I'll try later on my xp machine which hasn't the codec installed yet

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 12 of 47, by lone lee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wd wrote:

Dosbox captured videos, virtualdub, and Vista 64 Bits :)

I have not checked out the details, so if you have more info/experience on this please let us know.

I ran some testing on a Vista 32bit machine and it works perfectly, it's the installation of th ZMBV on Vista 64 that's wrong.

On that link, Papazark said the following:

papazark wrote:
Since my config seemed wrong somewhere, I used ProcMon to monitor what Virtualdub was looking for. […]
Show full quote

Since my config seemed wrong somewhere, I used ProcMon to monitor what Virtualdub was looking for.

And indeed it wasn't finding some registry key related to the zmbv codec.
It seems the installation of the codec went wrong in a certain way, and some key values were inserted in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32 instead of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32

I manually added them and made sure the dll itself could be found by virtualdub et voila, virtualdub is happy

Now why did that happen, I don't know.
Maybe it's related to the fact Dosbox was installed in the 'Program Files' instead of 'Program Files (x86)'

Somehow this makes little sense to me. Anyone can point out what entries I should change on the registry, and what values I should use? Also is it necessary to move any files?

Reply 17 of 47, by lone lee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wd wrote:

Anybody wants to help doing some (quick) testing on this?

I'll try again at home when I can (weekend probably). I did try that before but maybe I did something wrong, I'll undo everything and start over, make notes.