VOGONS

Common searches

Windows 95 and DOSBox.

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 21 of 43, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't use 0.72 with these images. You must use the DOSBox CVS.

Also if you want to boot an image make sure you are making it bootable by running "SYS C:" when you have the HD image mounted and you are booting from a DOS/9x floppy image.

And stop using bximage. HAL9000 spent alot of time on IMGMake and it works very well. BXImage just makes things complicated.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 22 of 43, by LuckyCharms21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok. I'm a little lost. I've downloaded the HAL9000 version and created a c.img file using imgmake. Quesiton is, what are the commands that I need to type to setup and install windows 95 from this version of dosbox?

I'm looking at this post: Patch: Imgmake - creates floppy or harddisk images

But I find it a little confusing.

Reply 26 of 43, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Click on "DOSBOX CVS Builds" in my signature.

There you will find links for HAL9000's MegaBuild and the AEP CVS.

HAL has included some fixes in his build for 9x but some of those fixes are in the latest CVS (AEP) as well but not all fixes so your probably better of using HAL's build for Windows 9x but be aware that his build is older than the CVS. (But both are ALOT newer than DOSBox 0.72).

Remember Windows 9x isn't supported under DOSBox so don't get all angry if things don't work as they should. Either code the fixes/features yourself, wait patiently or calmly state a request (with a good reason) for implementing 9x support.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2009-02-16, 11:06. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 28 of 43, by DOS4dinner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
LuckyCharms21 wrote:

Thanks DosFreak! You Rock!

I must agree with this. Thanks! And to HAL-9000, thanks for IMGMAKE--It works flawlessly!

Awesome guide you got there--are you going to add it to the official guides section?

Super Edit: I removed my miniguide also, as it would likely confuse people even further.

Last edited by DOS4dinner on 2009-02-16, 16:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 30 of 43, by DOS4dinner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Partial Success. I couldn't get a virtual CD drive working (Daemon tools complained about a USB driver, and the others either had too high of system requirements, or just didn't seem to work. I could just be missing something though. I'm not too familiar with CD drive emulators)

But...Sonic CD works! Perfectly! I couldn't test the full version , but the demo installed and ran flawlessly, fullscreen and all! In VirtualBox, Sonic CD ran so choppily that it was completely unplayable. DOSBox Rocks!

Just thought I'd share the good news. 😀

Reply 32 of 43, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Inuya5ha wrote:

I got Windows 95 correctly installed and running, but the embedded S3 video drivers totally screw up video display. The S3 site no longer offers drivers for Windows 9x, where can I get an S3 SVGA driver that works on DosBox?

Try one of these links maybe:
http://www.s3graphics.com/en/drivers/legacy_s … re_archive.aspx
http://ranger.s3graphics.com/swlib/?license=accept

Reply 33 of 43, by marzsyndrome

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I've been trying to install Windows 95 onto a hard disk image myself under DOSBox, but it all seems to be to no avail.

Whether it's 95 or 98, Setup screeches to a halt with an error coded SU0013 - basically it's unable to create files on the "startup drive" somehow. This happens wherever I use a mounted directory or ISO for the setup files, or copy said setup files to the same IMG and run it from there. On a related note, boot disks have proven to be useless as they seem to cause "real" DOS to take over the system and not recognize my mounts or understand DOSBox's built-in commands (copying these commands to the real system seems to do no favours, particularly as they're all 20 bytes in size).

I'd appreciate a look at this supposed tutorial that's been mentioned on here, but I sent a PM a while back and didn't hear anything so I'm not going to hold my breath. 🙁

Reply 34 of 43, by DOS4dinner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I sent ya Dosfreak's guide. Note that Win95 is not officially supported by DOSBox, so don't expect things to work (or complain when it crashes randomly 😜)

I've found it pretty stable though. Good luck!

on a sidenote, I got 98 to install and boot up once 😎

Reply 36 of 43, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Whether it's 95 or 98, Setup screeches to a halt with an error coded SU0013 - basically it's unable to create files on the "startup drive" somehow. This happens wherever I use a mounted directory or ISO for the setup files, or copy said setup files to the same IMG and run it from there. On a related note, boot disks have proven to be useless as they seem to cause "real" DOS to take over the system and not recognize my mounts or understand DOSBox's built-in commands (copying these commands to the real system seems to do no favours, particularly as they're all 20 bytes in size).

That pretty much sums it up that you might have misunderstood stuff...
- You can ONLY run Windows 95 on an hard drive image
- You can only install Windows 95 by booting from either that image or from some floppy image that will allow you to install Windows 95
- You will lose your CD-Rom mount, so you need to have the install files on the hard drive image

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 37 of 43, by DOS4dinner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

As long as you're here, I might as well mention that patches to let Sonic CD run under XP are now readily available, if you're not already aware of them.

I found that patch, but it's not really useful on Ubuntu 9.04 😜

Reply 38 of 43, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DOS4dinner wrote:
Jorpho wrote:

As long as you're here, I might as well mention that patches to let Sonic CD run under XP are now readily available, if you're not already aware of them.

I found that patch, but it's not really useful on Ubuntu 9.04 😜

Actually, as far as Sonic CD goes, the best solution of all is to run the original Sega CD version in some (portable) Sega CD emulator, as it lacks the PC version's obnoxious Loading screens. But there are other reasons to run Windows 95 in DOSBox, I suppose.

Reply 39 of 43, by Fester77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

my 50 cents

I have been playing a bit with having w95/98 in my box. my conclusion is : I DONT want have to "boot" it up when i need it. Booting means abolishing all that dosbox is .... switches internal commands etv... . Because when u guys are boot up from a img , You are really loading in the ORIGINAL dos ONTOP of DOSbox. original dos (or windows for that matter) does have a clue about mount or imgmount etc. so by then those of limits due to the fact that we now have plain ol "dumb" dos in a memory.
My aim is to get win95(or equalvent) running WITHOUT boot so i can keep my DOSbox feature. (i deont feel like having to move my whole tree into a img just so dumb ol DOS can read it as a mount hdd.
To make it short starting via boot is crippled because at very best u could mount your cd/dvd and use that floppywise ... how about having these internal
mounters that can be batched.
Second conclusion : since booting (as of yet) seems to be the only thing that acomplishes a runnable win9x, being that win9x thats more or less totally cutoff from the features that make DOSbox good (i e foldersetting, mount and whatnot) you folks might as well just all other virtualizers out there. cuz as it looks now you´re NOT get LESS by using them instead.

itried internals from within win3x , rescan and some others. they work.
beacuse somewhere down the executableschain is dosbox. Win9x whould be to IF I could be it running WITHOUT booting from an image. I could USE an imgae (storagewise that is) as long as i wont boot from it.

Just think about it .... w9x envirment and mixedmode.cds as ogg (tinygame)

But for now i´d have to recommend vpc users to install alcoholm make a networked drive, find your bin/cue and u GET cdaudio in VPC. still sucks that it has to be VPC but at least it WORKS.