VOGONS

Common searches

Windows 95 and DOSBox.

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 40 of 43, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Fester77 wrote:

you folks might as well just all other virtualizers out there. cuz as it looks now you´re NOT get LESS by using them instead.

Parting with the best OPL3 emulation a x86 emulator has ever had is a lot more less than you can think of!

By the way, 'all other virtualizers' doesn't exactly qualify for Win9x emulation. Most miss out on even the rudimentary of video emulation necessary for at least 8-bit color. The "else" that would work - qemu, VPC (not on everything), PCem and Bochs. Don't know about vmware.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 41 of 43, by ///DASH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got the Windows 95 Setup Wizard working, flying through the options with no problem but once it starts the actual installation it gives me this message:

Cannot Read Disk - Setup cannot read the windows 95 Setup disk. Make sure the disk is inserted in the drive and the drive door is closed.

this baffles me. Any advise would be appreciated because I seem to be one of the very few that get this bug.

Reply 42 of 43, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
Fester77 wrote:
my 50 cents […]
Show full quote

my 50 cents

I have been playing a bit with having w95/98 in my box. my conclusion is : I DONT want have to "boot" it up when i need it. Booting means abolishing all that dosbox is .... switches internal commands etv... . Because when u guys are boot up from a img , You are really loading in the ORIGINAL dos ONTOP of DOSbox. original dos (or windows for that matter) does have a clue about mount or imgmount etc. so by then those of limits due to the fact that we now have plain ol "dumb" dos in a memory.
My aim is to get win95(or equalvent) running WITHOUT boot so i can keep my DOSbox feature. (i deont feel like having to move my whole tree into a img just so dumb ol DOS can read it as a mount hdd.
To make it short starting via boot is crippled because at very best u could mount your cd/dvd and use that floppywise ... how about having these internal
mounters that can be batched.
Second conclusion : since booting (as of yet) seems to be the only thing that acomplishes a runnable win9x, being that win9x thats more or less totally cutoff from the features that make DOSbox good (i e foldersetting, mount and whatnot) you folks might as well just all other virtualizers out there. cuz as it looks now you´re NOT get LESS by using them instead.

itried internals from within win3x , rescan and some others. they work.
beacuse somewhere down the executableschain is dosbox. Win9x whould be to IF I could be it running WITHOUT booting from an image. I could USE an imgae (storagewise that is) as long as i wont boot from it.

Just think about it .... w9x envirment and mixedmode.cds as ogg (tinygame)

But for now i´d have to recommend vpc users to install alcoholm make a networked drive, find your bin/cue and u GET cdaudio in VPC. still sucks that it has to be VPC but at least it WORKS.

We don't care what you want.
The fact that win95/98 works when booting is nice, but no goal.
If we happen to break it, I won't miss a night sleep because of it.

So running win95/98 without booting is no goal, nor do I intend to currently allow code in dosbox that would support it. (if no game needs it)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!