VOGONS

First post, by kurkevan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,
I was looking for a way to work within a directory that matches the physical root of my hard drive (the app I am using is a word processor, and it needs access to a variety of files throughout my file system). It occurred to me that perhaps I could map the root to a network drive letter (e.g. H:) and then mount that drive to c in DosBox. Would this avoid the problems involved in mounting the root directly?

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the security warning is there to our asses incase you have a dos virus in your program which deletes everything on virtual C drive.
or if dosbox has a bug and decides to delete all your files 😀

It is for your own protection. You can mount it but don't complain to us if something goes wrong.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 6, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The best thing to do is creating a new directory (like c:\oldstuff or, if for some
reason you want to use your network drive, h:\whatever), mounting that as
your c-drive in dosbox.
To install games/applications do the same with an installation directory
(like copy everything into c:\oldstuff\install and mount that as d:\).

Reply 3 of 6, by kurkevan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The best thing to do is creating a new directory (like c:\oldstuff or, if for some reason you want to use your network drive, h: […]
Show full quote

The best thing to do is creating a new directory (like c:\oldstuff or, if for some
reason you want to use your network drive, h:\whatever), mounting that as
your c-drive in dosbox.
To install games/applications do the same with an installation directory
(like copy everything into c:\oldstuff\install and mount that as d:\).

That's what I've been doing, but it's a pain to work from a directory structure that's different from the physical one. The bigger problem I'm up against is that I eventually have to deploy this on other people's machines (to overcome Vista's incompatibility with full-screen DOS), and you can just imagine how confused they will get if they have to start using virtual drives.

Reply 4 of 6, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

but it's a pain to work from a directory structure that's different from the physical one.

Why?

Reply 5 of 6, by kurkevan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Quote:
but it's a pain to work from a directory structure that's different from the physical one.

Why?

I'm using a word processing program, and have saved files in various folders over the years. Now I can only open files that have been moved to the virtual drive. Not terrible, but definitely annoying.

Reply 6 of 6, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Clean up the stuff once, should not be THAT much work. But of course feel
free to do what you want, it's up to you.