VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by kurkevan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,
I was looking for a way to work within a directory that matches the physical root of my hard drive (the app I am using is a word processor, and it needs access to a variety of files throughout my file system). It occurred to me that perhaps I could map the root to a network drive letter (e.g. H:) and then mount that drive to c in DosBox. Would this avoid the problems involved in mounting the root directly?

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the security warning is there to our asses incase you have a dos virus in your program which deletes everything on virtual C drive.
or if dosbox has a bug and decides to delete all your files 😀

It is for your own protection. You can mount it but don't complain to us if something goes wrong.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 6, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The best thing to do is creating a new directory (like c:\oldstuff or, if for some
reason you want to use your network drive, h:\whatever), mounting that as
your c-drive in dosbox.
To install games/applications do the same with an installation directory
(like copy everything into c:\oldstuff\install and mount that as d:\).

Reply 3 of 6, by kurkevan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The best thing to do is creating a new directory (like c:\oldstuff or, if for some reason you want to use your network drive, h: […]
Show full quote

The best thing to do is creating a new directory (like c:\oldstuff or, if for some
reason you want to use your network drive, h:\whatever), mounting that as
your c-drive in dosbox.
To install games/applications do the same with an installation directory
(like copy everything into c:\oldstuff\install and mount that as d:\).

That's what I've been doing, but it's a pain to work from a directory structure that's different from the physical one. The bigger problem I'm up against is that I eventually have to deploy this on other people's machines (to overcome Vista's incompatibility with full-screen DOS), and you can just imagine how confused they will get if they have to start using virtual drives.

Reply 5 of 6, by kurkevan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Quote:
but it's a pain to work from a directory structure that's different from the physical one.

Why?

I'm using a word processing program, and have saved files in various folders over the years. Now I can only open files that have been moved to the virtual drive. Not terrible, but definitely annoying.