VOGONS

Common searches

DOSBOX on Linux using ASUS eee pc

Topic actions

First post, by kenny120

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello World! I've been using DOSBOX on my windoze pc. I recently bought an Asus eee pc that runs Linux. I installed DOSBOX with no problem (other than learning how to use linux). I copied a few old programs and games and they seem to work fine (duke nukem 2, 3by5, an old dos database program). I have installed and played Duke Nukem 3d on every system I have ever owned since 1996. The setup program worked fine, however, since the Asus eee pc dosen't have a cdrom drive, i've been trying mounting an image of the origional cdrom (ATOMIC15). I changed the duke nukem cd cdrom.ini file to point to a linux directory with the duke image. The old, familiar dos loading screen comes up. Its compiling the ".con" files etc. Its slow, but eventually I get to the "Thank you for buying and playing this game" screen with "Please put duke nukem 3d atomic edition cd in its drive." So, I put the image file on a flash drive that shows up as drive D. IT WORKED! However, it was slow and crashed. So...What to do? Thanks for any solution. I hope I can help someone install and run Duke. I would rather play any dos game than watch my Xbox error light blink all day!!!!

All that we are .............. â–’DB V.72 for
Is all that you'd love to beâ–’WIN XP
All that we know.............â–’DB V.65 for
Is hate and machinery.....▒Linux Xandros Φ
We're engineers

Gary Numan - The Pleasure Principle

Reply 1 of 24, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The setup program worked fine, however, since the Asus eee pc dosen't have a cdrom drive, i've been trying mounting an image of the origional cdrom (ATOMIC15).

So far so good.

I changed the duke nukem cd cdrom.ini file to point to a linux directory with the duke image.

Bzzt! Don't change the game files and don't use Linux mounting. Instead use Dosbox's facilities. Example (type inside Dosbox):
IMGMOUNT d "/path/to/Duke Nukem.iso" -t iso
That makes the cd image appear as a cd drive (D:) in Dosbox.

Reply 2 of 24, by kenny120

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks dude!!! Yes I was sill thinking like dos. I got the game to start! However, it is super slow. Its like a slide show. What should I do? I'm going to fool arround with the settings on DOSBOX. I once bought an ISA soundcard to install in my old Packard Bell desktop just to play Ultima 7. But DOSBOX is like the greatest thing since, since, umm..... Its the greatest! I have been fooling arround with escape codes using batchfiles. I think thats how DOSBOX gets its colored characters in its online help files. How about some oldschool ASCII art? Thanks for the help!! "It's time to kick ass or chew bubblegum.....and I'm all out of gum!"

We're engineers

Reply 3 of 24, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kenny120 wrote:

However, it is super slow. Its like a slide show. What should I do?

Check frameskip, increase it a bit, to prevent DOSBox from drawing too much graphics.

kenny120 wrote:

But DOSBOX is like the greatest thing since, since, umm.....

Since you bought your first DOS-PC? 😉

Klimawandel.

Reply 4 of 24, by kenny120

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I didn't have a CD player until I bought my first computer. That was in 1996. It was a Packard Bell with a 75mhtz Pentium. And a whole 8 mb of memory with a 700mb hard drive. However, I had a friend who told me about Ultima Underworld - how it was totaly 3d and stuff. So, I went to egghead software and bought it. I poped in the cd and hoped "Autoplay" would install it for me. HAHA!! I had to make a boot disc and make a custom autoexec.bat file.Thus, my introduction to the world of DOS.

Then I got the shareware version of DUKE NUKEM. That changed my life! A friend told me that the full version had a full "level editor" and that "you can put your own graphics" and stuff. Then I bought a cdrom called Meltdown - basicly a duke nukem compilation of maps and graphics and stuff. Well, a couple of map designers were kind enough to include a batch file to install the map and custom con files. And so, I was introduced to the world of DOS batch files!

And now, I am finally learning about Linux. I know Linux has a scripting language thats similar to dos, but dos is so hard-wired in my brain. Well, that's my story.

We're engineers

Reply 5 of 24, by kenny120

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After various changes and experimentation, I found what speeded up Duke Nukem with the best quality was setting the core to "Dynamic" and setting cycle to "auto".

here is some interesting code to put into a text file, save it as "TEST.BAT" and save it into your dosbox directory. Find a book with "Ansi escape codes" and experiment with the values.
code follows --->
[0;1;37;40 this is a test [2;31m this is a test [0;0m this is a test [1;33m this is a test [5;34m this is a test [2;35m ±²³±° [0m [33;32;1m this is a test [0;0m [0;1;37;40
<---end code

When the file is complete, type "test" then press enter.
the little boxes with 001b are escape characters.
In most text editors, the escape character looks like a little arrow pointing to the left.
The ansi code for an escape character is alt+27 or 1B in hex.
Do not "word wrap" your code. Use DOS edit or a text editor that will wrap your line for you. I don't really know if it matters, but I redirected the "Intro" output to a text file and did what I saw.
enjoy!

We're engineers

Reply 6 of 24, by kenny120

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Duke3d on Asus eee pc using Linux

Attachments

• Filename
    dukeonlinux.png
    File size
    133.01 KiB
    Downloads
    127 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

We're engineers

Reply 7 of 24, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After various changes and experimentation, I found what speeded up Duke Nukem with the best quality was setting the core to "Dynamic" and setting cycle to "auto".

Nice to hear that you got it working. I just thought the eee pc was too slow. I just wonder why you had to change core=dynamic. By default dosbox is core=auto (at least on Windows), which should automatically use the dynamic core with protected mode games such as Duke Nukem 3d.

Reply 10 of 24, by kenny120

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

this is dosbox v 0.65 for Linux. I have 0.72 for my Windoze box.

Attachments

• 3by5.GIF
    Filename
    3by5.GIF
    File size
    9.39 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

We're engineers

Reply 12 of 24, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
kenny120 wrote:

this is dosbox v 0.65 for Linux. I have 0.72 for my Windoze box.

Let me make this a public announcement: Until I see that you have changed your signature to say that you use the latest official DOSBox, then I am going to ignore any posts from you about problems with DOSBox.

Reply 13 of 24, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ehm... Isn't this a bit of an overreaction? I'm no Linux expert, but from testing various distributions for a short while, i can say that the default repos are very often _not_ "bleeding edge". For example, on a Debian system, you'll only get very, very old software versions (aka "Stable") from the package management system, until you manually change some entries in a textfile. This is something a "normal" user is not very likely to do - just like getting the sources and compiling DOSBox from scratch.

Reply 15 of 24, by kenny120

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

WOW! I didn't realize what a flame war that a version of DOSBOX would produce! When it comes to software, I'm not as concerned wither it is the "official" distro or who did it, but if it WORKS! I will tell you now, I AM NOT A PROGRAMMER. I m r justa dopey electrician who may get the chance one day to actually set-up a PLC or something. This computer "thing" is really a hobby. How many of you guys ever wire a house? Or for that matter, have a 3-way switch in your house that doesn't work? I installed a light in a guys kitchen one time. I went to turn on the light in his hallway. It didn't work. He said "oh, you need to turn on THIS switch to turn on the light." OOPS! Some dumb-ass electrician wired the 3-way wrong! Now thats an extremely simple "and" logic state. But a 3-way acts like an "or" logic state. Very simple programing. Thats why I liked MS-DOS. When I type in DIR with the /P switch, it just feels really powerful!
And my signiture dosent signify anything more than maby my taste for early New Wave. Its a Joke. Just like Duke Nukem's love for Industrial Techno House dance tunes. Like William Shatner said on Saturday Night Live many years ago "Hey, get a life!"
Of course, I meant that in a "loving" way.

We're engineers

Reply 16 of 24, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just try to use the latest version of DOSBox whenever possible and always mention the version of DOSBox that you are using.

Otherwise you can expect us to get pissed off.

All the time on these forums we have people coming in here trying to play Duke Nukem 3D (or other processor intensive game) in DOSBox 0.63 and they get pissed off at DOSBox and badmouth it because they are too lazy to visit the DOSBox page and see that yes indeed DOSBox has been updated in the past 5 years and the latest version is 0.72.

Believe it or not there have been ALOT of changes in DOSBox since 0.63 or 0.65.

So again:

Just try to use the latest version of DOSBox whenever possible and always mention the version of DOSBox that you are using.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 18 of 24, by kenny120

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you, Dosfreak. 😀

We're engineers