User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

from the readme:

FAQ: ==== […]
Show full quote

FAQ:
====

Q: I've got a Z instead of a C at the prompt.
A: In DOSBox you can mount directories as drives in win32: mount c D:\ would give you an C in DOSBox which points at D:\ in win32

I dont understand what that means. All i want to do is run an .exe from my c:/ but it doesnt let me, its just on Z.

Reply 2 of 25, by bobistheweatherman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yea it took me a while til my small brain figured this out also.

Basically if you typed: mount d c:\blah\blah D: would be in c:\blah\blah. So if you want to go into that drive, type D: to go there. In your case you want your drive to be c:\, so just type mount c c:\ and then type c:

That's the only way I can explain it. 😎

Reply 3 of 25, by firestorm225

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm going to see if I can come up with a quick pictoral guide on how to get started with Dosbox 😀 I know it's difficult for some people to go through with the DOS commands, and I found the front end for it a little on the difficult side to use, so maybe that'll help some people.

Reply 6 of 25, by icemann

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You only ever need to have the "\" when you want to specificy a specific directory (eg c:\blah). If you ever want to set the root directory for something then just put c: or whatever and that will do the job just fine.

Reply 10 of 25, by mrblue1107

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hrmmm, the DOSBOX doesn't seem to help. The game says "Unable to locate Advanced Civilization CD", but the CD is in the drive. And when I ran the game without DOSBOX it did the same thing.

The game I'm trying to run is called Advanced Civilization, made by Avalon Hill (in 1996 I believe). The game won't run on WinXP, but it runs on Win98. Anybody got any extra ideas or tips?

Reply 15 of 25, by jjlees

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am having the same problem with the same game. I have read the README and the FAQ's and newbie posts. The problem is the same, it won't recognize the CD and comments "Unable to locate the Advanced Civilization CD."

I have tried all of the following, after mounting C:
mount d d:\ -t cdrom
mount d d:\ -t cdrom -ioctl
mount d d:\ -t cdrom -ioctl -usecd 0 [after having performed "mount -cd" to find out it is 0]

and, all of the respective combinations of order. The only combination that causes the cd to spool up is the latter, but the same error occurs of "Unable to locate ...".

I have tried to copy the entire contents to the HD and then mount the directory I copied the cd to as the cdrom directory.

All of the previous work were on Win2k and Win XP machines. On the XP machine, I also tried to load the game and utilize the right-click->properties->compatibility->open as Win95 option to the same issue.

I saw the game on the list of supported, but for whatever reason I am not able to get it working. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dr. J.

Reply 16 of 25, by Guest

User metadata

jjlees - This makes two of us. I'm getting the exact same error, same symptoms - for that matter, I've even tried copying the entire contents of the disk to the hard drive - no dice.

Is there any way to talk to whoever indicated that they had it working? Or possibly create a repository of configs that have worked for various games in the past? I noticed that "Aragorn" is listed as having it running like a charm on 0.61 - any way to find out how he did it?

Reply 17 of 25, by Dos Game Player

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
UKchaos wrote:

from the readme:

FAQ: ==== […]
Show full quote

FAQ:
====

Q: I've got a Z instead of a C at the prompt.
A: In DOSBox you can mount directories as drives in win32: mount c D:\ would give you an C in DOSBox which points at D:\ in win32

I dont understand what that means. All i want to do is run an .exe from my c:/ but it doesnt let me, its just on Z.

Type

mount C C:\

and then type

C:

and then run your program like you would in DOS

Reply 18 of 25, by jjlees

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dos Game Player,

Thanks for reading and replying. Alas, mounting C: is not the issue. Up a couple posts, I wrote:

I have tried all of the following, after mounting C:
mount d d:\ -t cdrom
mount d d:\ -t cdrom -ioctl
mount d d:\ -t cdrom -ioctl -usecd 0 [after having performed "mount -cd" to find out it is 0]

But, if you or anyone has another idea, I would love to hear it. I even tried the D-Fend front-end with some of the settings (more or less shooting in the dark) to no avail.

Thanks again,

John